Guest ozziespurs

In a dilemna

Guest ozziespurs

Hi all! I have a bit of a dilemna, as soon as I told my 16 year old son about our plans of moving to oz he switched off and has not done very good in his gcses, I was wondering if we managed to sell house in time and move out about Feb time what his best options would be, Would he be able to go back a year and do year 10 and get his equivalent of gcse or would he start in year 11 and work towards his sace? also would it affect him in anyway as he hasn,t passed his gcse. Sorry to go on, I have spoken to him and although he is upset he is being quite mature about the situation and is willing to do what ever it takes. Many thanks for any advice.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

He could have his GCSEs converted into SACE points. There is no GCSE equivilant here, it is somewhere between GCSE and A level. It would depend what he wants to do...uni/ age, as to what yr he went into. If he was old enough he could go into 12 and convert his GCSEs for yr 11.

Personally I think to do both the yrs is best, it worked out well for my son. By time he finished his SACE he had so many options open to him to choose

You can learn to drive at 16 here, and be out and about by time you are 16 1/2 on your own, that is always a good bargaining chip!

sarah

Guest Nick11

Excellent idea Sarah - try a bit of bribery - works everytime.

Guest Aussie pat

Whilst you would obviously have to talk to individual schools, it would be nice for him if he could just write off this past year and start again with a clean slate in Australia. There's nothing wrong with having another go. He'll be older and wiser this time around. He would also then have a bit of breathing space to adjust to his new life before he had to apply to universities etc.

Also, none of his Aussie peers would know about his GCSEs unless he chose to tell them, which would be nicer for him. Perhaps this would make him feel better about things as he's at a bit of a fork in the roads at the moment anyway? A fresh start would help.

Guest Libby1971

Hello

I would be inclined to suggest that your son goes back into year 10 and starts there. Some subjects are new and this way he would have experience of a wider variety of courses and their associated requirements before having to make subject choices for year 11 and 12 when they count for the SACE.

The move will be stressful for all, and it would also give him some breathing space before being in exam mode, and ensure he has the right school to show what he can do.

Good luck in making your decision.

Don't know whether it's just my daughters' school but next year in yr 10 semester 2 my daughter will begin the new SACE pathway which includes the personal learning plan that is compulsory and graded for their SACE points.

If your son goes into yr 10 he can enjoy school with out too much pressure and try again. There are no formal exams at the end of yr 10, but if they don't do well enough in a subject they will be discouraged from taking it at yr 11 , eg chemistry or physics, usually requires a C grade or above at yr 10 science. Also a lot of the choice subjects at yr 10 run for the semester only (2 terms) so they can try out a lot of different subjects before narrowing down for yr 11 and 12.

hi hope all goes well with your move over to aus, there are a couple of other options for your son, at flinders there is a maths and science school which is for year 11 and 12 students http://csem.flinders.edu.au/ there is also technical colleges where they try different skills for the first term eg plumbing, electrical, they do also continue with their sace studies as well http://www.australiantechnicalcolleges.gov.au/locations/

Guest ozziespurs

Many thanks for all your info, it has all been very helpful, although I like the idea of him going back in to year 10 to start a fresh as he will be 17 in June 08 I think he may be to old and it may be asking to much of him, however I think the idea of technical college where he can also do his sace is a really good idea especially if he can follow in his dads footsteps and be an electrician as that is what he wants to do.

sounds pefect for him, my daughter has a couple of friends there who are about to finish year 12 there, I will ask her to find out how they got on, hope you can get some info from the web link, when do you arrive?

Guest ozziespurs
    sounds pefect for him, my daughter has a couple of friends there who are about to finish year 12 there, I will ask her to find out how they got on, hope you can get some info from the web link, when do you arrive?

Hi we hope to come when we sell house which we are hoping and preying is soon, if not we have to validate visa by March, but with things going the way they are don't know if we'll be able to validate if we don't sell as oh work is getting a bit thin on the ground. Just keeping everything crossed at the moment.