Guest rockpool crab

Out and about at my front door in Scotland

Guest rockpool crab
    That's nowhere near as big or frightening looking as they are out here. lol !!!!!!

I know :) just breaking myself in gently! Showed our Kieran the photo and said "guess where that spider is?"...of course a casual "Australia" ensued...I then said "nup..it's outside our front door"...then took him out to look at it.... "cooooooooool" was the reply. So if that's what he's saying now..can't wait to see his face when we get there;)

Of course we poked it with a stick..as you do..but then a spider two inches in length doesn't really look that daunting.

It's unusual to see something like that here though, I see some biggish spiders but not with those markings.

I'm off to see if I can find it on t'internet.

Catch you later

Carol Ann

Guest xhaylesx

ohhh yuck! very unusual to see a spider like that in UK. *shudder* did you manage to identify it.

I have goosebumps now!

Guest rockpool crab
    I know what it is Carol Ann,

It's a teranchelope!! Hee Hee

LOL...I actually looked that up on google...what a numptyelope

I "think" it might be this..

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/insects-spiders/spiderbites/walnut-orbweaver-nuctenea-umbratica.html

But is was bigger than this one. This actually bites..didn't realise there were spiders in UK that could bite.

brrrrrr..makes you shiver eh. Wonder if I'll be brave enough to poke an Australian spider with a stick...most likely not :nah:

TTFN.. Carol Ann

Guest swampo

Poke a stick at it??? I wouldn't go near it with a barge pole!!!! Don;t know how I am going to cope over there!

Guest rockpool crab
    Poke a stick at it??? I wouldn't go near it with a barge pole!!!! Don;t know how I am going to cope over there!

LOL..I guess a "barge pole" is a big stick. I reckon I'd touch it with a barge pole :biglaugh:

Sure when I see my first huntsman I'll likely faint.

You know they say you eat 8 spiders in your lifetime..i.e. they crawl into your mouth when you're sleeping. So what if a redback or white tip crawl in ...munch munch...eeeeek.:err:

Carol Ann

Guest rockpool crab

What about this then...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20080828/tuk-giant-spider-bit-pet-dog-to-death-45dbed5.html

Jeezo..all this action in UK...who would have thought it...Essex too.

Feeling the need to go squish my new found pet...bit undecided now about how to get rid. Pint dish and a piece of paper...or just go for it with my size 6's. Guess I'll see what mood I'm in by the time I get home.

TTFN... Carol Ann