Guest cunnah10

after advice just shipping a crate with personal belongings maybe now!!!

Guest cunnah10

Hi Guys

Well Martin & Val have had a word with mum (the one with the magic powers)and they have precicted seeing as the lucky so and sooooooos have just had their own visa granted today(3 cheers for them....hip hip hooray x 3)that we will get our 475 visa granted in a months time AND I am putting my faith and trust in them so i need to make plans!!!!!

Right now "if" i was to NOT take anything at all out to oz and forget shipping a container apart from PERSONAL BELONGINGS : photos etc and few Tools for Hubby then how would i best sort this and how much would it cost and would this crate take a long time as it would probably be put on a shared container?

Also i am after some help if i list the items we will HAVE to buy straight away when we arrive then could you help me work out some costs?

Thank you all in advance!!!!!

Washing Machine

Fridge/freezer

Table and 6 chairs

Microwave

kettle

Crockery

cutlery

pots & Pans

sofa (prob 2 x 2 seater plus armchair OR 2 x 3 seater)

kingsize bed (or the biggest we could afford for my sanity....married to a snorer!!!)

Duvets

Bedding

4 x single bed plus bedding

Computer & Monitor

Hoover

and anything else that i have missed that you experienced guys would think of!!!

Already sorted Plasma TV

Obviously there will be lots of nick Knacks to be added(mirrors,clocks,nest of tables,

lamps,coffee table,rugs etc.... but i will allow for all these other items!!!!

I am trying to convince other half that we should just sell all our furniture off here in the UK and start again!

New life,fresh start and all that plus £3500 for the container has to be considered!

Remember guys i've done this thread "hoping" that you will be on my side so that i can convince him!!!

Plus as you know we have lost the sale on our house the day of "exchange" (swines)

so will be renting it out instead now and it seems we already have a queue of potential tenants!

Guest cbeeb

We did this and we figured it was cheaper to but new over here. WE bought TV, Washing machine, fridge, iron,kettle, toaster, hoover at one time out one shop and paid cash and got alot off(seems to norm here. I think we were about 800 for washing machine and same for fridge before any money off.

Went to ikea and got sofa out of asis for 200, got covers for 100. basically everything else was ikea.we probably spent $6K all in,

Guest Guzzler&Sas
    Hi Guys

Well Martin & Val have had a word with mum (the one with the magic powers)and they have precicted seeing as the lucky so and sooooooos have just had their own visa granted today(3 cheers for them....hip hip hooray x 3)that we will get our 475 visa granted in a months time AND I am putting my faith and trust in them so i need to make plans!!!!!

Right now "if" i was to NOT take anything at all out to oz and forget shipping a container apart from PERSONAL BELONGINGS : photos etc and few Tools for Hubby then how would i best sort this and how much would it cost and would this crate take a long time as it would probably be put on a shared container?

Also i am after some help if i list the items we will HAVE to buy straight away when we arrive then could you help me work out some costs?

Thank you all in advance!!!!!

Washing Machine

Fridge/freezer

Table and 6 chairs

Microwave

kettle

Crockery

cutlery

pots & Pans

sofa (prob 2 x 2 seater plus armchair OR 2 x 3 seater)

kingsize bed (or the biggest we could afford for my sanity....married to a snorer!!!)

Duvets

Bedding

4 x single bed plus bedding

Computer & Monitor

Hoover

and anything else that i have missed that you experienced guys would think of!!!

Already sorted Plasma TV

Obviously there will be lots of nick Knacks to be added(mirrors,clocks,nest of tables,

lamps,coffee table,rugs etc.... but i will allow for all these other items!!!!

I am trying to convince other half that we should just sell all our furniture off here in the UK and start again!

New life,fresh start and all that plus £3500 for the container has to be considered!

Remember guys i've done this thread "hoping" that you will be on my side so that i can convince him!!!

Plus as you know we have lost the sale on our house the day of "exchange" (swines)

so will be renting it out instead now and it seems we already have a queue of potential tenants!

Not what you want to hear, but I would have a container and bring everything you have, the cost of replacing EVERYTHING you have and need will soon add up,

Guzzler

Yes bring everything, especially those little doovalackies you need to do god knows what because if you have to buy another here, you'll be gnashing your teeth thinking you already had a perfectly good one of those back in England.

The plus side is that when you get settled here you can sell off anything you don't want by having a garage sale, a great instituion here.

Rachel

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Bring the LOT!!! I'm with Guz and Rachel!

Sorry Gill!:wubclub:

sarah

Guest Django

Hi Gill,

I was always of the arrive with just a suitcase train of thought. However, when you start to work out how much money it would cost to replace everything I was shocked. :shocked:For the price of the container you wouldn't be able to replace half the things in your house. You price up how much the things in your kitchen cost and you will need to sit down. All the cutlery, gadgets, pots, pans, tins, etc soon add up. Also to ship over a few bibs and bobs will cost you around a third of the price of a container. We have a few bits from someone else we are putting in our container. The stuff wouldn't fill a shower cubicle and she was quoted around £1000 to send over.

I know a container isn't cheap but it really is false economy not to have one.

Pete

Bring as much as you can, even the small stuff adds up. Sounds wonderful buying all new and if your coming across loaded it is but the reality is dollars will slip through your fingers quicker than you can ever imagine.

Guest the4hopes

We really don't want our furniture over there, we want to start fresh. We have a budget to buy basic necessaties and gradually add to it over time. We are paying about £700 for personal belongings and some kitchen equipment to be shipped.Other than that we will have to manage! We are selling off things here and will use that to buy some of it. We can live with the minimum we have done it before.

Guest Django
    We really don't want our furniture over there, we want to start fresh. We have a budget to buy basic necessaties and gradually add to it over time. We are paying about £700 for personal belongings and some kitchen equipment to be shipped.Other than that we will have to manage! We are selling off things here and will use that to buy some of it. We can live with the minimum we have done it before.

Good post and something I would love to do. I also think a lot of people forget, whether you ship everything over or not, you will still have a month or two when you will have to 'rough it' without much. If you can do it for a few months you can easily do it for longer. I like to think of it as a challenge and an adventure rather than a struggle. That said we are shipping most things but this is because we aren't coming over with much money and so couldn't afford to go out on a spending spree just for the basics for a family of 6.

Guest cbeeb

We do not have half as much stuff as we had but that is not necessarily a bad thing. i would worry about bringing stuff and it not fitting in wherever you are living. I brought 12 boxes 4 of which were CD.s 3 boxes of kids stuff, 2 of photos, 1 of books, 1 of uni stuff(books etc) and 1 of towels and some sheets. It took so long to arrive! Sometimes you think i had a lovely wardrobe and to get one the same over here would be crazy money, but at the end of the day it is just stuff. I found getting rid of stuff quite cathartic but it panicked my husband a bit! Think about what you would miss.

Guest TC for short

If you've got a newish, reasonably good car then I would have a serious think about bringing that too. Used cars are very expensive over here. Have a look at http://www.drive.com.au www.tradingpost.com.au & compare. Bear in mind the cost of shipping though, and also that selling it on might be harder with Imperial instrumentation. I had a Volvo V70 D5 which I really regret not bringing.

TC

Same situation here. But all things considered we are taking a 20ft container and loading as much as possible in. The only things we are leaving (though there may be more...) is couches, oven, crockery, washing machine and fridge freezer - everything else is coming. Planning on going to the secondhand places to replace those few bits. We added up all the costs of re-stocking and the money we can save far outweighs the not taking a container.