Guest deborah

Jaspers (wasps)

Guest deborah

There seems to be loads of wasps around at the moment absolutely loathe them.

Do they frequent Australia!!

Can't see the point of them accept to be annoying.

Yes there are wasps, native and european. The european ones are the pests, they build nests around people's homes and then you have to pay for them to be fumigated. Overall the mosqitos are more of a problem than wasps though.

Guest Carkyde

What is the best way of deterring mossies? When I was in Sydney I was more concerned about the cockroaches, even spelling that word makes me shiver!!!!!

What is the best way of deterring mossies? When I was in Sydney I was more concerned about the cockroaches, even spelling that word makes me shiver!!!!!

When we're outside of an evening we light citronella candles and wear plenty of insect repellent. I still get the occasional bite though. I've never seen a cockroach here. My pet hate are the flies and the ants, both drive me crazy in the summer!:arghh::arghh:

It made me laugh when the firm I was working for sent an email round warning of European wasps yet they never sent an email round warning of spiders or anything! :goofy:

Guest katsmajic

Some Aussies weve met are terrifified of the European wasp - theyre convinced it'll aim for their mouths, to sting them, and their throats will swell up and theyl die...

one 'electrician' friend was a hero cos he went into a house with a wasp in and killed it...the other electricians had refused to go into the house!