Guest philnjulie

Tax help

Guest philnjulie

Hi all,

have some friends over on a 457 visa and they are getting hammered on tax deductions saw a posting on here but unable to find it regarding permanent and temp tax deductions could someone help

thanks in advance as i know some one will help phil

Guest soggy
    Hi all,

have some friends over on a 457 visa and they are getting hammered on tax deductions saw a posting on here but unable to find it regarding permanent and temp tax deductions could someone help

thanks in advance as i know some one will help phil

Hi,

when you start a job you have to fill out a form called "tax file number declaration" if you answer yes to question 8, are you an Australian resident for tax purposes ? you will then get the same tax thresholds as anyone else, I don't think it matters what visa you are on.:)

simon

Guest norah battie

we ticked the wrong box here when we arrived and were hammered for tax...got it all back and feel much better...and we are visa 495

Guest TC for short

You can get a tax-file number on-line. Takes a few days to come through. IIRC you have six weeks to give your TFN before you start getting taxed at the "emergency rate" which is something like 47%. Don't be put off by the stuff about "which visa are you on". I was on a business ETA when I came over. I spoke to the Tax Office about getting a TFN when I was on a visa prohibiting work. Their response was that they hadn't a clue! I suggested I try on-line & we'd see what happened. They were more than happy with that & it all worked just fine.

Hi guys,

let me get this straight..... i am coming over on a 457 visa, hopefully in November.

The tax form? Will my employers give me this? Or do i get it from the tax office?

Do I just tick "yes" in the relevent box? when i get the form? After all i would be an aussie resident for at least 2 years!

47%? Gordon Bennet!:shocked: We would starve. I would be the only one employed, and what with school admission fees etc, the "savings" will just disappear!!!

Oh, what a problem, please help

Jane

Guest norah battie

You get the form from your employer....don't tick the non resident box...tick resident

Guest cbeeb

Tax resident if earning here for 6 months out of year, we got non resident tax numebers originaly. Ehen we phoned them you get resident tax when you file tax return for year get tax back and they change your status we got 6K back

Guest Doug Booth

Residency for migration & taxation purposes are completely different. A person who is a temp visa holder can be a resident for tax purposes from day one.