Sign in to follow this  
Guest rockpool crab

Flat screen tv's working back in UK

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

Reading some of the threads it looks like Flat screen plasma tv's may be cheaper to buy in UK than in Australia. We are "thinking" we might buy one here and bring it with is. I've heard that you can buy a freeview box in Oz and it'll convert the audio signal which then means the TV will work...sounds fair enough.

This got me thinking though...if we don't buy a TV here in UK, but wait till we get to oz..say we don't settle and want to come back in a couple of years time, will the Australian TV work in UK by doing the same thing..buying a freeview box in UK? does anyone know the answer to this?

Cheers

Carol Ann

Guest c u Jimmy

I am pretty sure UK tv's work in Aus , however not sure about the other way around . As far as buying a TV out here i recently bought a Samsung 38' LCD for $1200 , and they were advertising 42' Plasmas here on Sat for $999 .

I would buy here personally as prices are coming down all the time , and just sell it if you decide to go back.

Good Luck

From what I've seen, I reckon the flat TVs are actually cheaper here, if you go on a model-by-model basis. Smaller screens are more popular in the UK whereas the large screen market over here (over 42") has really taken off - high demand is bringing the prices down. It's the same with PC monitors...even with the strong dollar.

If you buy here you'll get warranty, an inbuilt HD tuner and, most importantly...peace of mind - if a UK TV fails in the first few months, and you've moved over here, you're screwed - it's a big purchase as it is so having to do it again would be painful. We brought over a Panasonic HDTV when we came last year, but only because we had it already - the 5 year John Lewis warranty is pretty much useless now ;-)

A UK HDTV will work fine here but, as you said, you will need an external box. The Aus TV would also work fine in the UK, again only requiring an external box but the lack os scart connections would mean you'd need to hunt around for a compatible box (unless HD Freeview actually happens). The UK HDTV will also have 2 or 3 scarts on the back which...in the end...will just be taking up space, as the Australian market has moved over to HD in a big way - component and hdmi is pretty much what you should be looking for. If you're planning on hanging around for a couple of years and then returning to the UK those scarts might come in handy...maybe...but it would be foolish to buy something because of what you might do in the future.

Whatever you decide, try to buy a model that is available (in some form or another) in both markets as this might help you if you do need a repair for a non-warranty fault but I would strongly suggest you don't overlook the value of a good warranty - I wouldn't personally buy a HDTV without a 5 year warranty, especially as Harvey Norman do them for $200!

Guest rockpool crab

If you buy here you'll get warranty, an inbuilt HD tuner and, most importantly...peace of mind - if a UK TV fails in the first few months, and you've moved over here, you're screwed

Hiya..sold :-) I'll buy when I get there. Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise HD had taken off there though. Are the programs through foxtel etc actually HD? as that has only just started to appear on Sky here.

cheers

Carol Ann

Hiya..sold :-) I'll buy when I get there. Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise HD had taken off there though. Are the programs through foxtel etc actually HD? as that has only just started to appear on Sky here.

cheers

Carol Ann

Foxtel HD has only recently launched and I'm not a subscriber anyway so cannot comment on how much of their HD broadcasting is actually HD (as opposed to upscaled SD) - coming all the way over here to watch Eastenders seems a bit sill to me ;-)

On the free to air front, HD has been around for quite a while, with all stations (ABC, 7, 9, TEN and SBS) all having an HD variant. Quite often, the content on both SD and HD channels is the same but there's a fair bit of HD content available, especially the US TV shows (BSG, Heroes etc. etc.).

J.

Guest rockpool crab
    Foxtel HD has only recently launched and I'm not a subscriber anyway so cannot comment on how much of their HD broadcasting is actually HD (as opposed to upscaled SD) - coming all the way over here to watch Eastenders seems a bit sill to me ;-)

On the free to air front, HD has been around for quite a while, with all stations (ABC, 7, 9, TEN and SBS) all having an HD variant. Quite often, the content on both SD and HD channels is the same but there's quite a bit of HD content available, especially the US TV shows (BSG, Heroes etc. etc.).

J.

Hi there, thanks for that info. So there are a lot of HD televisions out there then..mm...I just bought myself a Sony PD150P camcorder..now wishing I'd bought a HD camera :-(

Have been toying with the idea of trying my hand at wedding videos, just on a part time basis to see how it goes. Guess I'll just stick with this camera..and if there's a reasonable demand I could always upgrade (eventually..fingers crossed).

I hardly watch any tv as it is now..hubbie does though..but mostly sport.

Cheers for now

Carol Ann

Hi there, thanks for that info. So there are a lot of HD televisions out there then..mm...I just bought myself a Sony PD150P camcorder..now wishing I'd bought a HD camera :-(

Have been toying with the idea of trying my hand at wedding videos, just on a part time basis to see how it goes. Guess I'll just stick with this camera..and if there's a reasonable demand I could always upgrade (eventually..fingers crossed).

I hardly watch any tv as it is now..hubbie does though..but mostly sport.

Cheers for now

Carol Ann

No worries.

If you need some advice on picking a good HD set when you get here, just drop me a PM ;-)

J.