julie-ruth

hi

hi it's charlotte when i was at school today i saw on a map austalia with adelaide on it.It said that there is a risk of geting a earthquakes in adelaide i was wonderin if it was true!!!!

Guest TC for short

Hi Charlotte

I'm a Dorset lad originally - from Broadstone. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Adelaide's at any greater risk than anwhere else in Australia. If there was one I think we'd be relatively safe because the buildings are generally very low-rise (that is, they are only a few storeys high - not skyscrapers).

You'll like the countyside here - it reminds me of North Dorset; Sherbourne, Milton Abbas & the like. There is even an area called Dorset south-south-east of the city!

TC

There are fault lines that run through parts of Adelaide, but the last earthquake was in the 1950s and some houses cracked, things fell off and got broken. The fault lines aren't like those on the west coast of America. It is safe.

Thanks for replying to Charlotte she was telling me in detail a little more that Adelaide was at the bottom in Austraila for the high risk area's for earthquakes, I think you have put her mind more at ease. She wasn't being negative just curious.

Julie

Guest Mezza

Yes, there are fault lines around here, and indeed volcano's too!:shocked: Mt Gambier's built right next to one, although it's been quite a while since there's been any volcanic activity:cute: There have been earthquakes/tremors as others have mentioned.

So yes, there is a risk of getting an earthquake here but it's unlikely to cause much more than a koala to become a literal drop-bear;)