Guest Guest75

Hoooge hedgehog!!!!!!!

Guest Guest75

Well OK a Spiny Echidna!!

I've just had the dogs out for their last tiddle and heard lots of barking.

Shone the torch where the dogs were barking and there is an Echidna digging up my flipping garden!!!

A huge mound of earth and it looks like he is not stopping until he gets to China.

Lovely to see and chuffed he or she decided to visit.Hopefully he/she has not done too much damage to my garden.

I did give him a scratch and those spines are tough:)

Guest Aussie pat

I found a hedgehog caught in our electric poultry fence last winter in the UK. Got my gardening gloves out and unravelled it. It then growled at me like a little dog and toddled off into the undergrowth!

I was listening to Radio 5 Live during the Olympics and John Inverdale was talking about how he'd been on a visit to Beijing Zoo and how good it was.

However, he was surprised to see, next to the cages of pandas, lions and tigers, one cage containing the West European Hedgehog. !!!!!!! Ahhh!!!!!!!! :cute:

Guest Aussie pat

We can thoroughly recommend the night walk at Warrawong Sanctuary in the Adelaide Hills. We did it 3 years ago and 13 years ago. Our kids couldn't believe how lively things are after dark. A couple of little animals nearly bumped into us as they were 'boinging' along. We also saw a platypus. I was lucky enough to see one of these years ago in the wild on Kangaroo Island. They are meant to be very shy.

I'd love to do the Warrawong Night thingy...sounds fab but might have to wait until my little one can keep her eyes open beyond 7pm.

Tyke: You really had me going there, got really excited at the prospect of hedgehogs in Oz. I know, I know should know better but hey there are blackbirds in my garden, oh and how I love to listen to them.