Sign in to follow this  
Guest rockpool crab

Passport / visa validation

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

Our kids passports are up on June 2009. We'd hope to be in Oz before then. We need to have the visa's validated...and whilst we could happily do this now and get the visa's placed in the passports I'm thinking..mmm...what happens when we get to oz and then the passports run out and we're on a temporary visa..we can't get oz passport..so how will we work that?

I'm thinking we renew their passports now...in UK..and have those validated..but they're not "up" yet...eee..not sure what to do. Does anyone know if we should just chill and do it from Oz when the time comes or is there a better way?

Hope you can help.

Carol Ann

Hi there,

Our kids passports are up on June 2009. We'd hope to be in Oz before then. We need to have the visa's validated...and whilst we could happily do this now and get the visa's placed in the passports I'm thinking..mmm...what happens when we get to oz and then the passports run out and we're on a temporary visa..we can't get oz passport..so how will we work that?

I'm thinking we renew their passports now...in UK..and have those validated..but they're not "up" yet...eee..not sure what to do. Does anyone know if we should just chill and do it from Oz when the time comes or is there a better way?

Hope you can help.

Carol Ann

May be wrong, usually am, but i believe your passport has to have 12 months of life left on it? Im sure someone can advise for sure.

Not sure where but seem to recall reading a thread about where in Oz you send your UK passports to for renewal.

Again someone will confirm

May be best to apply for new one now while you can

Guest Devon

As Ian says you can get your passport renewed here think you have to send it off to Canberra and that it costs more to do it here? Sure someone can confirm. Although we need to do this soon for OH's.

I renewed mine when I went back to UK recently and they just added on the months that there were left on my old one - I thought I was going to loose them! My passport is a ten year eight month one now!

Don't forget though that if doing it in UK you need to inform immigration as your visa is connected to your passport numbers - think there is a form on their website for changes including passport numbers.

Guest Devon

Hi again - I thought I had better check as OH's runs out in 8 months. Found the website it is Canberra that it needs to be sent to and as of today - it warns that the price can sometimes vary due to exchange rate. The price is as follows:

Adult standard 32 page passport = $268

Adult jumbo 48 page = $324

Childs passport = $171

Courier fee = $15

So it is more expensive as mine cost around GBP 75 including the post office express service

Hope this helps you to decide

Guest sarahsmartiepants

yes deffo get them done in the UK, by far cheaper.

And I think you have to have 6 months worth of valid passport to enter Aus.

sarah

Guest BAZnDAF

I was advised by my agent to make sure all passports had at least 12 months on them to be on the safe side, so i renewed everyones here before lodging the visa.

Guest DianeJ

Hi,

Funnily enough just got renewal forms for my two girls from the post office yesterday as their's run out in March 09 and we will be validating at Xmas. It says '' ....you do not have to wait for it to run out. We can add any period that your passport has left to run, in whole months up to nine months, to your new passport''.

Renewal price Adult £ 72

Child £ 46

Diane