Guest The Wise Family

Managed to get double baggage allowance on 475!!

Guest The Wise Family

Hi guys.

We have finally arrived in Adelaide on saturday and thought you might like to know that we managed to get double baggage allowance with singapore airlines on our 475 visa- thank god! It would have been very expensive if we hadn't as we turned up with 196 kg. Don't know how but we just blagged it. Singapore airlines told us that we would not get it and it would be £26 kg!

We only planned to take one extra case and thought we might be lucky to get one extra through but at the last minute of packing we needn't another two. So we had eight cases instead of five and we all had a maxium sized hand luggage case that lucky they didn't weigh because they should have weigh no more than 7 kg and I think they all weigh about 15 kg each.

So what we did, we turned up a few hours early, were the first in the queue and made friendly conversion with the check out lady about our new adventure. Then when she called us up she had a quick look at our passports and visa and said "we can offer you 40 kg allowance" and my oh said "yes that is right - thank you". What a relief. It would have cost an extra £2496!!

Singapore airlines were great and I would definitely recommend then. Hope this helps anyone else with this double allowance problem that us 475 ers have.

Gina x

hi Gina,

Welcome to Adelaide, You'll really enjoy it here especially when the jet lag wears off.

Hope you enjoy the spring, it has been a lot warmer than the weather today.

Lauraxxxx

Hi guys.

We have finally arrived in Adelaide on saturday and thought you might like to know that we managed to get double baggage allowance with singapore airlines on our 475 visa- thank god! It would have been very expensive if we hadn't as we turned up with 196 kg. Don't know how but we just blagged it. Singapore airlines told us that we would not get it and it would be £26 kg!

We only planned to take one extra case and thought we might be lucky to get one extra through but at the last minute of packing we needn't another two. So we had eight cases instead of five and we all had a maxium sized hand luggage case that lucky they didn't weigh because they should have weigh no more than 7 kg and I think they all weigh about 15 kg each.

So what we did, we turned up a few hours early, were the first in the queue and made friendly conversion with the check out lady about our new adventure. Then when she called us up she had a quick look at our passports and visa and said "we can offer you 40 kg allowance" and my oh said "yes that is right - thank you". What a relief. It would have cost an extra £2496!!

Singapore airlines were great and I would definitely recommend then. Hope this helps anyone else with this double allowance problem that us 475 ers have.

Gina x

Guest Nick11

You were very lucky. When we came over a family heading to Queensland had the same problem. They had to pay THE FULL WACK - 2000 POUND!

Guest wemadeit

Hi,

Congrats on your move - hope you are settling in well?? We arrive on the 4th November on a 495 visa - is the 475 an SIR temp visa?? I ask as we are going Singapore airlines and could definitely do without a hefty £2500k excess charge - we will try the same - as dealing with singaporeair on the phone/email - they won't budge!!

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Tom, Cath, Josh & Chloe

Guest Lulujim

Wow - that is good news! :):) How do you work out the cost of excess baggage? :unsure: We (as everyone I'm sure) desperately need the extra allowance - and hate the thought of waiting for our container to arrive??

If you only pay for excess at the check-in I guess there's nothing to lose by trying to blag it?? X

Guest Nick11
    Hi,

Congrats on your move - hope you are settling in well?? We arrive on the 4th November on a 495 visa - is the 475 an SIR temp visa?? I ask as we are going Singapore airlines and could definitely do without a hefty £2500k excess charge - we will try the same - as dealing with singaporeair on the phone/email - they won't budge!!

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Tom, Cath, Josh & Chloe

Be warned - it is luck of the draw.

I lost count of the people in the queue waiting to pay for excess baggage on our flight.

They also only took cash - no credit/debit cards accepted!

Guest soggy
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Tom, Cath, Josh & Chloe

Hi,

I went with singapore and they would not agree to give me the extra allowance on a sir 495, at check in when they said I had 97kg for the 3 of us and would have to pay the excess, I said I was told I it was 40kg each if migrating, she looked at the visa and said sorry you can have 40kg then, she can't have been to sure about the visa types. It's worth a try before you pay the money I think.:)

It may not matter to most people here but the extra allowance only applies to UK passport holders, my wife and step daugter are Chinese and would not have been entitled to it even if on a PR visa, but the nice check in supervisor gave them extra as we were not having a stop over in singapore, must have been a lucky day for us.

Simon

Guest wemadeit

Hi,

It seems that whoever is on duty that day dictates what happens!! Also, I am intrigued to hear they only accept CASH!!! so if we have huge excess and a bill comes in to the tune of £2500 like some peole have unfortunately experienced - I can't pay by credit card?? Everytime I email/phone Singaporeair to request a cost for excess baggage per KG - they don't have that info!!!

Anyway, we will try and blag it on the day - another idea is airfreight some of the excess baggage out - I am getting trying to get some quotes today and will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Tom

Guest Nick11

You have 2 choices with excess - pay for it to go on the same flight as you at some ridiculous price or send it on the next flight - which costs a lot less. We were directed to a guy in a dodgy looking coat and clip board!! Suitcase is weighed - ours was 30 kg and cost 240 cash. He said the reason was a lot of students use this way to get stuff back to singapore. Once they use their credit card they cancel it at the same time. The company had been shafted too many times. But thats not the end of it. It took us over 5 hours to clear customs with it 2 days after we arrived here. Trip to cargo hold and hand over $130 and fill in forms.Take form to customs. Take form to quarintine and hand over $100. Go back to cargo hold and pick up suitcase. Take suitcase back to customs for inspection!

WOULD HAVE BEEN CHEAPER TO HAVE DUMPED IT AT THE AIRPORT AND BUY NEW!

Guest The Angus Clan
    Hi guys.

Gina x

Got me worried now! I didn't realise 475 ers were the lowest of the low in terms of baggage allowance too! I'll be arriving with one set of clothes at this rate!! Mind you , as most of my clothes are geared towards the scottish climate , I'll need to ditch them anyway!!:biglaugh:

Good luck with everything!

Marcia:wubclub: