Guest sjs

car prices - what did you pay ?

Guest sjs

is this really nosey !?!?!?!?

we are wondering how much of our budget buying a car will eat up. i have tried to look at websites and they do seem pretty expensive. we are looking at second hand - never had a brand new car in our lives - but want a decent car.

if anyone could give advice of what they bought and costs i would appreciate it.

thanks

sjs

second hand cars are expensive compared to uk but hold their value. EG webought a ford focus 2004 i think it is and it cost $11500 , in uk we had a 2005 one and sold it for alot less than the one we bought!!

Guest SA Great

we are wondering how much of our budget buying a car will eat up. i have tried to look at websites and they do seem pretty expensive. we are looking at second hand - never had a brand new car in our lives - but want a decent car.

if anyone could give advice of what they bought and costs i would appreciate it.

thanks

sjs

Yes second hand cars hold their value a lot more than ones in the UK but the down side of that is it will cost you a lot more to buy your first car!

The good old Holden Commodore is always a winner. It's the best selling car in Australia, has a 3.8 litre engine and we recently bought a 4 year old one from a dealer for $15,000 (7,000 pounds). Obviously there are heaps of different cars to choose from and depends on what you want it for etc etc. Cars never seem to rust over here and I am guessing it's due to no salt on the roads in the snow (because we don't have any!) and the very cry climate in Adelaide.

Hope this helps.

Guest Greg and Karen

thanks

sjs

sorry mate, I did compose a rather long rambling Coopers' induced response to this and then the computer crashed and I lost it....probably just as well

I think you can buy a decent used car here for a fair price, we bought a 2000 Holden Commodore (v. common here) for $8k (4k pounds) and there's nothing wrong with it. came with 3 year warranty too and RAA approved.

if you know a thing or two about motors (which I don't), get yourself down to an auction and you're bound to pick up a good deal

i'd say you can pick up a very decent used car from between $7-15k, depending on what you're looking for

www.carsales.com.au is a good place to look and you can compare prices at www.redbook.com.au.

good luck

Well my latest car is a 1996 Ford gas guzzler, but it runs well, the man who services it is always wanting to buy it off me. It has aircon, power windows, automatic, and a few other extras. Bought it at auction for about $4500. Don't discount older cars, mine only had 135,000 on the clock. Cars that are 10 yrs old tend to be in the 5-6,000 mark and if they run well are fine.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Our 98 pajero was 12k, our 89 magna was 2k, the 96 toyota/nova was 3k and sons 94 toyota/nova manual was 3k.

Hope that helps

sarah

Guest theforrests

Our 1999 Ford Falcon cost $8k - it had about 156,000 kms on the clock when we bought it and is a good clean car. When we got here we found the Dog & Lemon book (picked it up at a newsagent) to be helpful in giving an overview of Aussie cars.

Sarah