Guest Nick11

Job satisfaction ?

Guest Nick11

Just wondered how many of you are as happy or happier in your new job in oz than compared to the U.K

Good or negative comments welcome.

Just wondered how many of you are as happy or happier in your new job in oz than compared to the U.K

Good or negative comments welcome.

Despite working probably longer hours here i prefer it. Building is the same in principle where ever you are, the same s*** just a different bucket!

I find it more relaxed even with the pressure of deadlines. At least here i get paid for working Saturdays where in UK i did not! Wages as good if not better in my line of work.

And the sun shines and im not up to my knees in mud!

Both working in the UK and Oz (and NZ!) have been loads better than working in the US. You can actually have time for a life outside of work;)

That being said, I hate my current job and have resigned, so off I am looking for work again;)

Guest Roo1

I like the fact that I'm my own boss here. Back in the U.K I was never any good at working for others, especially head teachers. I get up even earlier here but now the sun is shining in the morning, its a pleasure.

I used to "dread" going into work. That sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach that another long day loomed. Maybe I was just in the wrong job.

Being a school teacher for 10 years can kind of do that to ya!:swoon:

But now I look forward to seeing what the day brings. :)

J x

Guest Mezza

I'd say my job is pretty similar to what it was in the UK. The main difference is that I now work for a multi-national instead of a small private concern. So that has it's own set of goods and bads, not related to migration itself.

Given the summer is coming, the ability to come home on an evening having left the woes of the office somewhere on the southern expressway and spend an hour or two on the beach, or with a beer under the veranda is the biggest change :)

Guest swampo

I used to "dread" going into work. That sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach that another long day loomed. Maybe I was just in the wrong job.

Being a school teacher for 10 years can kind of do that to ya!:swoon:

Know the feeling, that's why i DON'T WANT TO TEACH in Adelaide.

Guest donna T

Lucky enough to have changed lifestyles so much and have gone from working pretty much full time and long hours and never seeing my kids to being a 'homemaker' (hate that term!)and being able to go to the beach with the kids whenever.

Russ, however, has a worse job with none of the autonomy he had in the UK , paying far less but he still wouldn;t change and go back! :notworthy:

When I lived in Adelaide I found the office I worked in was quite different from the UK in some ways but it was a great job and I was very happy there. Not quite the same level of office banter (some Australians don’t quite share our sense of humour), very professional with meetings and staff training etc, but very relaxed too.

For example, on Fridays people would go down the pub for lunch (OK that’s normal) but not come back all afternoon!!! :shocked:

Once when the whole team were working late on overtime to get a project finished the head of department came round to all our desks with a drinks trolley stacked with soft drinks and beers!!! :shocked:

If it was someone’s birthday they brought cakes in, then the whole department would stand around drinking coffee and chatting for almost an hour !! :jiggy:

Work hard, play hard.

Guest graandjac

So Far so good here, iam staring to realise that finding the right job is a HUGE part of settling hear, the mistake some people make like i did , is lots come here wanting to change jobs but in reality its not that easy as everyone (most) out here wants someone with experence. So be prepared to be patient....there is loads of work....it just might take time finding the right job.

Guest Libby1971

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the job hunting.

For us, a few compromises have had to be made. However, I work in a supportive environment, and so far am enjoying myself. I would say I have more job satisfaction that some I know and I also know I am exceptionally fortunate in that regard.

Big hugs for those who are not so lucky and finding it tough.

I hated my job in the UK - actually, hated my boss would be more accurate, the other girls in the office were a nice crowd! Had to work full time, and had a childminder to look after the kids, boss gave me no end of hassle if I ever had to take time off for kids' sickness, end of the month my pay would go into the bank account, husband's pay woud go in, then it would all have to go back out again on childminding bills, petrol, mortgage etc!

Here I have fallen on my feet and work a couple of days a week, during school hours, for a fantastic boss who is quite happy for me to take the kids in with me during holidays. I have firmly told them that I don't want to take on anything extra, or do anything that requires any more commitment, and bless 'em, they have still kept me on! If I need some extra dosh, they are happy for me to work extra hours, or build up those hours to take off in lieu. Our staff meetings are held in cafes, and the first task is always checking our horoscopes and chatting about our lives, as the boss is very keen on us all maintaining a good work/life balance (told you she was great!)

No comparison, but as I said, I have been very lucky!

Oh and it leaves me time for Home2Home stuff too!

Diane

Guest Donna

I love my job here...err, but I loved my job at home too.

It is much better teaching here - we get more autonomy.