Guest caoimhe

Exams/Homework

Guest caoimhe

Just wondering how the education system works in OZ. In Northern Irealand we still have the 11+ to decide what school our kids go to in year 8, does Adelaide have anything like that or do you decide and apply to the school within your area.

Also what way are the exams in High school that would be equivalent to our GCSE and A levels. Do the kids choose and study certain subjects?

Lastly my 10 year old is due to do the 11+ here in November (hopefully we will be away) and his homework for the last year is awful. By the time he finishes it's dinner time and I find that the whole week is taken up with school work and I can't do anything with my kids during the week. He has homework at weekends and during the summer holidays when he was off for 8 weeks he came home with 20 past 11+ papers to complete before starting back. It is an awful lot of pressure on a 10 year old and I would rather he enjoyed his childhood for a while. So the question is in the primary years do the children have much homework. I have an image of being able to take my children to the beach or park after school for a while and not spending time indoors doing homework.

Thanks all

No, No and No nothing like it here.

Okay yr 7 kids are 12-13 yrs.

In yrs 3,5,7 and 9 there is the LAN(they keep changing the name so it might not be called this now) test which is numeracy and literacy with a written component. There is no extra beefing up for it and the kids sit a few practice ones in class leading up to it.

In yr 7 you get sent an application form for high school. On the front it states your local high school for where you live. A place will be guarenteed here. On the back you can apply for other high schools stating your reasons, ie language wanted is not studied at zoned school. Your child wants to continue with IB etc. You send the form back to school and then you get the results in a few months.

In High school there are no external exams until yr 12 SACE stage 2. In yr 11 the kids do SACE 1 which has some prerequisites for certain subjects chosen at yr 12.

In yr 10 there is a compulsory Personal Learning Profile where the kids have to research possible careers and how to get there, what'savailable etc, what their interests can lead to etc. It's marked and is part of SACE. It's new next year. In yr 12 they will have to do a extended learning Initiative, which is an extension of something that interests them. This is also compulsary but not til 2011. A semester of maths and a semester of english with passes at C or higher is compulsary to complete SACE 1 level.

So your kids will be in Primary school longer anyway.

Guest caoimhe
    No, No and No nothing like it here.

Okay yr 7 kids are 12-13 yrs.

Sorry I'm used to Primary 1,2 etc and not years :biglaugh:

My eldest is 10 born March 1998 do you know what year he would start in if we where there for January. Also what age do they go into high school

Reception is the first year , they are 5

yr 1 , most turn 6

yr2, turning 7

yr 3, turning 8

yr 4 turning 9

yr5 turning 10

yr 6 turning 11

yr7 turning 12(the oldest turn 13 towards end of yr)

Then off to high school.

yr 8 turning 13, etc

Due to the amount of time spent in reception having to be a minimum of 3 terms, some kids end up doing 5 or 6 if their bdays are after June. These end up being the oldest in the year group. Kids start school after their 5th bday. So they can start reception in any of the foru terms of the school year the only difference being how long they spend in reception.

If your son was born 28th March 1998 here he would be in yr 5 here this yr and go up to yr 6 in Jan.

Guest caoimhe

If your son was born 28th March 1998 here he would be in yr 5 here this yr and go up to yr 6 in Jan.

Thanks Rachel, that's great news as I think my son is finding things hard at the minute as going with our school years he is one of the youngest. I think he will benefit going back a year

Oh and for homework.....in yr 6 they are expected to do about 40 mins or so. It's usually projects or finishing work, maybe some maths. Plenty of time for sport, the beach, parks etc. Yr 7 is a lot of fun with activities set aside for them and then graduation ceremonies and parties at the end.

If you use the catholic schools though depending on where you live( ie the south west metro area) they may finish at yr5 and the kids transfer into middle schools for yr6-9, but there are no other differences.

Guest caoimhe

Sorry Rachel but could you tell me what year the others would be in

Born 15th July 2000

Born 16th September 2002

Cheers

okey doke

born July 2000 would prob be yr2 this yr going upto yr3 in Jan.(would have had a year and half in reception)

born Sep 2002 would be in reception this yr and going upto yr1 next yr.

Some schools have mixed classes eg yr1/2, yr5/6.

Usually they will put kids in with their own age group. Sometimes they go up to the next yr level and are young in that yr, it just depends how full the classes are, but in the main they try to keep them in an age appropriate setting for social development reasons.

Hi Rachel, working these years out was great but i am still unsure what year my kids would be!!

NOT great with maths

Could you help?

Born 03jun 2002

Born 12april 2005-- would she be in reception? Kindy etc??