Vetassess General Plumber

Guest Karen H

Hi

We're new here and wonder if anyone would be able to offer any help or advice.

Chris (MOH) has received a date for his plumbing vetassessment at the end of October and wondered if any who has already been through the assessment could give advice on what to expect on the day.

Got alll the info from the web-site but, speaking to people who have already been through this would be a big help in settling the nerves.

Hoping if all goes will to move to Adelaide.

Any help advice would be much appeciated.

Thanks

Karen

Dont worry!

I did the test a few weeks ago and i had the panics going on!

I know its easy for me now but its a very relaxed day out.

Dont tell anyone but i have a couple of pictures of two of the three practical tests.

Here there are for you to see the type of thing you might be asked to do...

14072008662.jpg

14072008663.jpg

Hope i have calmed your nerves?

Rob

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

Thanks Rob

That's a big help !

Did you have to do any silver braising during the test, if so did they use oxy-setline. I've tried with ready fluxed silver braising rods and map-gas but getting enough heat into 22mm copper joints and acheiving capillary flow of the braising rod is very inconsistent (not enough heat)

Any comments or hints appreciated !

Did you do any of the guttering options ??

I'm a water plumber, not a gas engineer so not sure what they will expect me to do. I do a lot of bathroom installations so installing the soil & vent and wastes etc isn't too much of a worry. Normally use copper for hot & cold water with soldered joints.

Cheers Chris

Guest ade&emma

Hi Karen and Chris;

We have just got here and Adrian will be applying for his gas fitters and plumbing licence and not sure how long it takes from applying to receiving the licence. Also can you work before you receive the licence? Any help or advise would be usefull. We have been advise by an Aussie that it is a good idea to join a plumbers and gas fitters union as they can offer a load of benifits and make sure you are treated fairly. They can also help with finding jobs. Just thought we would pass on the advise.

Ade and Emma

Karren,

There is no soldering out in Oz acording to our tester.

Something to so with the heatout there!!

We used oxy to do the silver solder with flux in a tub.

I took the gas route it was very easy...

Just read up on how to test.

Its differant in Oz so you dont need to know it exactly.

When people on my course said gas and not gutter the tester was chuffed.

Im a maintanance fitter with skills in electrical and machanical and plumbing,

I have not done any gas work since 2006 when my licence ran out.

I realy have to say they just want to show you are competant at doing the job.

If you want to chat please feel free to send me your number through a private message.

Some times its better to chat than type!

Rob

Rob

Hopefully we've sent you a message with our home number, appreciate it if you could give me a call.

Sent the message with my number through the members list, assume that's how it works ???

Cheers

Chris & Karen

• 4 months later...
Guest snowling990@btinternet.co

hi there - just read your info on plumbing assessment - my oh has his test in Feb - he is quite worried as he is a water engineer not gas - have you got any other info regarding assessment - vetassess info talks about specified reference materials authorised for use in the theory exam - do they provide this?

hope you get chance to reply

julie and john

Guest snowling990@btinternet.co

hi - doing my vetassess exam in Feb and am a little worried about the gas side - can you give me any more information - what does it mean about reference material - do they provide it or do you have to bring book with you

regards john

It was very nice to have a chat with John(snowling990@btinternet.co) and Karen(Karen H)

Just a quick note to both of you...

Your both doing the test on the same day(Feb 16th I think).

So make sure you both say hello to each other and have a calm and positive day.

All the best and give me a call if i can help in any way.

Rob