Electricans in adelaide!

Guest ukgee67

Hi all!! by what i've read on the most part you guys are lovin it! me i just about to start my application for a trade visa as an electrican! i know i'll have to take a written and hands on assessment with vetasses.au, but can any ex uk electricians out there please give me an idea on what or if there is any more test/exams needed when or if i arrive in adelaide, i read on a sister site that some sparky's are havin a nightmare getting licences etc....... as my migration agent hasn't mention any at this time? thats what i thought i was taking the assessment for!!!!! i would really like to hear from you guys about the exams and if there is a real need for sparky's out there........cheers guys yours hopfully.....grant

Hi all!! by what i've read on the most part you guys are lovin it! me i just about to start my application for a trade visa as an electrican! i know i'll have to take a written and hands on assessment with vetasses.au, but can any ex uk electricians out there please give me an idea on what or if there is any more test/exams needed when or if i arrive in adelaide, i read on a sister site that some sparky's are havin a nightmare getting licences etc....... as my migration agent hasn't mention any at this time? thats what i thought i was taking the assessment for!!!!! i would really like to hear from you guys about the exams and if there is a real need for sparky's out there........cheers guys yours hopfully.....grant

Welcome to PIA and good luck with the process. Sorry cant help too much with the questions but all i understand Electricians, Plumbers and Gas fitters do have to gain recognized accreditation when here to be able to work.

There is a lot of building work going on here and long may it continue as I am a site manager here! There is a shortage of all trades people with all firms stretched to the limit so i would have thought providing licenses etc can be gained work should not be an issue

Hi Grant

Andy my oh is a electrician, came out on the old 136 visa so didnt have to do vetasses but hope this will help

Once we arrived andy had to get a certificate from artc stating his trade, this we gained by having to send copies of all his certs and references etc much the same we did for tra for the visa, i am presuming that after vitasses u wont need to get artc, your vetasses cert would take the place of artc but you would need to check with artc and vetasses on this note.

Andy fell on his feet and got offered 3 jobs the first week he applied for anything, and they took him on unlicensed on condition he did the necessary to get his license, so he did the wiring regs course at peer tec at night for 6 weeks.

Once he passed his wiring regs he took it into the city along with his artc and paid the fee and they sent the licence out within 2 weeks.

Its pretty easy to gain your license here in SA compared to other states, so i wouldnt worry too much about it and plenty of work around at the moment, andy still working for the same company but he does check the paper and always electricians jobs in there, the only difference with you will be you would have done vetasses whereas andy didnt so not sure about artc whether you will have to do it having done vetasses, you could email artc through tra website and ask em.

Its just wiring regs course then you will need to do and if you do it via peer tec you can do it by correspondence then just go in to take your exams at the end, tho andy did say doing at the college was really helpful as if something wasnt easy to understand someone was there to help you with any questions, correspondence you would have to wait for a email response etc

I will get andy to keep a eye on this post and if theres anything else you wanna know just yell:)

Dawn

Guest ukgee67
Welcome to PIA no doubt a 'sparks' will answer your question for you shortly. Good luck with the process. Are you using an agent or going it alone?

Pete

hi pete thank you for your warm welcome , the answer to your question that you posted is that yes we are about to appoint an agent "visa bureau" a bit expensive at £1800+vat but sounded alot more informative than some of the other ones we've contacted.......thanks grant

Guest ukgee67

Thanks Dawn for all that great info! sounds like your life has changed for the better! how do you find Adelaide? the real reason we are heading there is because we have aus/nz freinds based there! and thought it would help in our transition ! but by looking at this web site there seems tobe thousands of ex brits out there! as regarding the extra exams etc i'll probe our agent" visa bureau" for some concrete answers!......thans grant