Sign in to follow this  
Guest LOOBYLOO

Help...please

Guest LOOBYLOO

OH has a Vespa Scooter (1998) that we want to bring. Contacted Department to obtain a permit and got an email back that doesn't make much sense. :confused: Has anyone out there taken a motor vehicle to Adelaide and how did you go about it? Thanks

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya,

Hubby brought his Honda firestorm with him, against my better judgement but the least said about that the better!

I didn't get too involved with the transport of it, I know he spent a lot of time once it arrived at North Adelaide clearing customs and it appeared to be a "jobs worth" exercise - one department checking road worthness and another checking he had done his job correctly blah blah blah. Paperwork shuffling etc etc.

It cost us a lot of money to import it and had I known back in the UK what I know now I would have refused to import even hubby who loves his bike said he would rather have left it. Not to physically ship it cos it came in the container but paying once it arrived.

The bike (mid ocean crossing!) had increased in value? Don't ask me how or why but we had to pay duty on the new and inflated price of the bike to get it through customs quite how that works I am clueless. The bike was 10 yrs old and we had receipts as proof of purchase but we still had to pay stamp duty (equivilent) on it. The bike they claimed was now worth $6500 I think they said.

There were other costs as well which I switched off to.

If you want specifics of the situation you can pm me and I will get hubby to write down exactly what happened.

Hope this helps!:wubclub:

Guest LOOBYLOO
    Hiya,

Hubby brought his Honda firestorm with him, against my better judgement but the least said about that the better!

I didn't get too involved with the transport of it, I know he spent a lot of time once it arrived at North Adelaide clearing customs and it appeared to be a "jobs worth" exercise - one department checking road worthness and another checking he had done his job correctly blah blah blah. Paperwork shuffling etc etc.

It cost us a lot of money to import it and had I known back in the UK what I know now I would have refused to import even hubby who loves his bike said he would rather have left it. Not to physically ship it cos it came in the container but paying once it arrived.

The bike (mid ocean crossing!) had increased in value? Don't ask me how or why but we had to pay duty on the new and inflated price of the bike to get it through customs quite how that works I am clueless. The bike was 10 yrs old and we had receipts as proof of purchase but we still had to pay stamp duty (equivilent) on it. The bike they claimed was now worth $6500 I think they said.

There were other costs as well which I switched off to.

If you want specifics of the situation you can pm me and I will get hubby to write down exactly what happened.

Hope this helps!:wubclub:

Thanks for the reply. Made a few phone calls today and went on website www.infrastructure.au. Turns out he can't take it because we're on a Temp 163 Visa. OH is heartbroken as it's his pride and joy (custom paint job etc), but looking at the carry on at customs/costs etc it's probably best. Thanks again.