Guest dibdobs

Dumb question - Halloween?

Not really big here, every year the merchandisers try to get it off the ground, but ......

Sometimes you get kids knocking but most people are not prepared for it. I understand it's got big in England. Never was when I was a kid there. It was an American thing.

Guest caoimhe
    Do you have halloween in oz ?

Not dumb at all, I was wondering the same myself the other day when getting costums for the kids

It has got very 'Amercianised' here Rachel, unlike when I was a kid too

Guest sarahsmartiepants
    Do you have halloween in oz ?

Yes unfortunatly !

Halloween is everywhere. It's not just an American thing. In fact, Halloween stems from the Pagan religion, where the date is known as Samhain. It depends on what you perceive Halloween to be.

I love Halloween, it is the best date in the Pagan calendar and I can't wait for it this year! Plus it falls right next to my Birthday!

Guest katsmajic

My kids love halloween, look out any one in Seaford....

I bought some of their 'scary' bits but the costumes here are cheap and cheerful/scary enough...

Halloween is everywhere. It's not just an American thing. In fact, Halloween stems from the Pagan religion, where the date is known as Samhain. It depends on what you perceive Halloween to be.

I love Halloween, it is the best date in the Pagan calendar and I can't wait for it this year! Plus it falls right next to my Birthday!

Ditto! I absolutely love Halloween too--it's a time for fun and celebration, and yes it wasn't originally a Yank thing. I was going to have a party for the nieces/nephew & friend's kiddies but I'm just too busy this year:/ Definitely decorating the house and handing out treats though...and will do a party next year complete with kitty litter cake, bobbing for apples etc:) Bought some decorations yesterday from The Reject Shop;)

Guest donna T

We got a bit ready for it last year with some sweeties etc in, but not one knock at the door all night! Didn't see anyone aorund dressed up either. After halloween, Toys R us were selling off loads of the unsold halloween stuff so I don't think they sold much!

Didn't mean to offend anyone who is American, follows Pagan rituals or just generally believes in celebrating it...but fact is when I was a kid in England(talking 70s here)there was nothing in the shops, no big hype and we only knew about people celebrating it from American programs showing Trick or Treat type stuff. Even here in Australia it's only crept into the shops in the last 5 or 6 years. We did occasionally make lanterns and stuff and we knew what it was about, but it was more a novelty in our home. We never went knocking at other people's doors. Christmas was another thing though when we would go round knocking and singing carols.

Guest Mezza

Yep, they've got all the cr@p in Cheap-as-chips et al, and have had for a while. From my experience, you don't tend to get the annoying "trick or treaters" coming round, but you do get lots of halloween parties. My youngest is going to one this year...

Any excuse for a party:)

OMG, I LOATHE Hallowe'en!

The worst thing to be Americanised ( no offence) Since saying conta versy instead of controvasy. I understand the pagan thing, the veil being thinner between life/ death; but seriously, the trick or treat thing is so pants.:realmad:

I turn off the lights, lock the door and refuse to move from whatever i am doing.......being a spoilsport, i wont even let the kids participate, it's like condoning begging; and name one of you who thinks THAT is acceptable, these days?????