Guest TheTodds

Is your pending move a secret?

Guest TheTodds

Our visa application is top secret. Only our parents and siblings know of it and it is killing us not being able to talk about it. I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat or are we on our own.

We feel we can’t tell people as my boss would be an arse and would find a way of getting rid of me which we can’t afford and my husband’s family business would suffer if his customers got wind that he may be selling up. We are therefore having to keep this whole thing top secret and not even our closest friends know. We feel awful at times as we blatantly have to lie about things to them. It’s so hard.

Aside from that we are bursting with excitement and want to share it but can’t.

I wouldn’t mind but to top it all off, my parents (two of the 8 people that know our secret) refuse to talk about it anyway! Aargghhh! :arghh:

Guest countdown1975

Hi I do know how you feel - my parents and my hubbies parents know and so does his sister who also refuses to speak about it - it is what I call JEALOUSY. My Mum said not to say anything about it to my sister and it is very hard when she wants to know why we are saving money and can't plan for things next year.

My boss is the forgetful kind so he probably wouldn't remember if I told him I was hoping to move to Australia - it is sad that we have to hide things though isn't it.

What stage are you at in your application?

Vicki :-)

Guest TheTodds

I think youare right - possibly jealousy but I think denial on my mums part.

We submitted our application for a 475 in June having got state sponsorship earlier in the year. We along with all the other 475 ers are just waiting. In that tricky situation trying to decide when to do medicals and police checks. Holding fire for the time being. Could be in for a long wait!

How close are you?

i remember when we first told people a year ago that we were emigrating and no-one belived us anyway:biglaugh:

if i could go back a year i wouldnt have told no-one, well close family only! that we we off, simply because all weve had for months is,

havint you gone yet' OR you still here' felt like i was pregnant all over again:biglaugh:

does get to ya after awhile i think to be honest lots of our friends and family thought we wasnt going to get it, well to bad we did:biglaugh:

goodluck anyway

suexxx

Guest countdown1975

We got our sponsorship confirmed in July but we had to wait to send off the 176 application as we were getting married in July and I had to get my new passport in my married name so we posted in in September and they confirmed receipt so they have just couriered over the 1100 form to the DIAC and now it is just a long waiting process.

We weren't sure when to do the medicals/police checks either as we have done the application ourselves and didn't go through an agency. A lot of people seem to do it practically straightaway after lodging their application. We thought we might try and do ours in Jan 09. It is very complicated but hopefully will be worth it.

I am normally a patient person but I just want to go now :-)

Hi Todds,

Yes can empathise with you completely, we also didnt tell anyone as my husband owned his own butcher shop and was afraid people wouldnt put money in xmas club, for fear we would do a runner wth it, and that was last xmas, and suppliers wouldnt supply without getting paid on delivery.

It was a nightmare for the full year, but well worth it in the end, when you can say we are going on .............. whatever date!!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed its not 2 long

Hop to see you there

kelie

Guest countdown1975

My Hubby is a butcher aswell - how is yours finding the amount of jobs over there? Mine is worried because they don't seem to specify salaries on the websites (he is a born worrier anyway)

Vicki :-)

Guest the staffords

brings back memories...dad had died and we moved back to a small village in staffordshire,just to see that mum was ok...she was fine..we were so confident that we put the house on market before we got our visas...told estate agents that we didnt want a "for sale"sign....i swear that within 3 hours of them measuring up,mum was on the phone..."why have you put your house up for sale"?....village grapevine........told her the truth.....end of the world.....but after 3 years here,she is comin for holiday...for 7!!!!soddin weeks!!!!!...i can see a divorce on the cards.

Guest nichola

Only myself and my husband know we are going to emigrate. We are only just starting the process and not too sure if we are going down the 175 or 176 route now after sourcing advice.

Can't tell the parents as would be a nightmare and murders could happen :realmad: - for real (I'm an only child). Can't tell work for the usual reasons but husband may have to tell his for his referances which we are dreading in case they turn awkward in the meantime:arghh:.

I normally blab everything :chatterbox:and this is killing me but feel it's the right thing to do until we get our 'golden tickets'. This site is a god send and everyone is so friendly. We are off to the Leeds Expo in the next couple of weeks and then we'll get the ball rolling after picking some more brains before making a decision on which agent to use:jiggy:.

Guest BAZnDAF

Apart from the Boss we told everyone, that way wether they like the decision or not, they have time to accept it.

We kept it a secret until I got offered the job, (didn't even tell Hubby till I got the interview). Told family about 3 days after I got offered the job because I could not get excited about the whole thing till they knew. When I told my mam you would have thought I had said I only had hours to live, but not because we were going but cos we are taking the dogs.:arghh: my sisters have been great and very supportive. As the time gets nearer I am dreading the goodbyes but that's just one of the things which we all must do before we can live our dream. My mam is getting better, but cant help herself some times but I wont hold that against her she's only human like rest of us. So for all of you who cant share your plans with others you have always got the support and friendship of all on PIA because in oneway or another we share the same experiences.

Good luck with all your plans:)

Jo x

Guest Sarah- UK

Our application is a secret with work too- don't want them know just in case we get rejected! Family and friends outside of work all know and they are all driving us crazy asking when we'll know- 475 visa lodged Feb 08 and no news...argh!!

Family have accepted the news now- my brother, his wife and 2 kids are applying tp come out too- he's a master stone mason so a highly prized skill in Oz! Mum & Dad are abit upset about 2 of the siblings going- hopefully Mum & Dad can come over for for up to 6 months a year. My partner Steve's told his boss as he had to sign off the references....

Just waiting for the visa to come through....

Guest Lisado

Only our close family and friends know about our move. At first they laughed at us but now they know how serious we are. I'm finding it really hard keeping quiet but until my boss at work knows I don't want to say anything to anyone

Told only those who needed to know. Won't miss anyone except my dad and baby bro; his dad...... the rest can go jump!

You have enough to deal with........forms, cost the house, the bank, getting a job out there, why add the concerns of everyone around you. My husband runs his own family business too, his family know of the move, and they have to deal with him not being there; which i think they might enjoy:biglaugh:; the customers have not been told, why would we tell them; they are not involved with our life outside the company......

Go for it, be true to yourself and your own needs.

Good Luck

Jane

Guest MR&MRSC

I agree with Scousemouse. Only tell those you are close to, and by that I mean those that care for you. Which, is not always the people you would expect. If people are negative to you or poke fun in anyway shape or form they are either naturally jealous of anyone moving on (or doing anything), or wish they could do it themselves but have not got the guts!!!, better still the ability. Ouch... that hurt! Go for it, you only live once.

Oh! just setting out on our journey, not applying to Vetessess till next year. Thought about Canada a couple of years ago. Went for hols, got a job sponser (HO), paperwork going through and we changed our minds - stepford wives syndrome (not joking) really bad. Nice place to visit though, fab. experience, but thats it.

Leila

Guest Lisado

Hi there

can I just ask Sarah how you managed to lodge your 475 visa without notifying your employer? I only ask as we heading for that visa and I have to get 3 references for state sponsorship application before we lodge visa - and I need one from current employer but feel scared as I know have at least another year to stay there

I am confused:swoon:

Guest dibdobs

We didnt tell a single person untill we got our Visas. I didnt want to give anybody the chance to talk us out of it or make us feel guilty. Even when we did tell, i dont think they took us seriously until we sold the house.

I have found it really anoying that people i dont talk to from six month to the next say "i am really gonna miss you"

I have to stay focused on my everyday life. These people are not involved in it, and i can live without them. I dont want to stay in the UK just so i can catch up with people at xmas or a special family occasion.

Guest Lulujim
    Hi there

can I just ask Sarah how you managed to lodge your 475 visa without notifying your employer? I only ask as we heading for that visa and I have to get 3 references for state sponsorship application before we lodge visa - and I need one from current employer but feel scared as I know have at least another year to stay there

I am confused:swoon:

Hi - we're applying for 475 too, and didn't need one from our current employer. This may be different for you.. but we needed OH's degree certificate and a reference with company structure too. Our agent said there were ways round this if we did need it too. Are you going through an agent see if there's any other way round it.. as the visas are taking so long at the mo! :confused: Good luck - Alexis

Guest TheTodds

Thanks for all your advice and support. It does seem easier knowing you are not alone!

Instead of getting an employer reference my agent said I could write a statutory declarion and get it signed by a Notary Public. Was quite simple and had no problems getting sponsorship.

Goodluck to you all.

Guest Lisado

Hi

I have been told to get 3 refs from employers, my current one and 2 from my previous law firms. One of which was no problem and havent asked the other as yet as librarians are close knit bunch in newcastle, so she could tell my boss before i have.

I am going to email agent now and ask her

thanks everyone