Sign in to follow this  
Guest dibdobs

Do the schools use phonics in Oz ?

Guest dibdobs

Hello all,

My eldest son has learnt to read by learning the Phonics sounds here in the UK.

Do they use phonics in Oz?

My middle boy is about ready to start learning the sounds but i dont want to confuse him if its not what he will do once he starts school in Adelaide.

Thanks Deb

Guest Bodie

Deb hi and welcome,

They use a mixture of some 'Jolly Phonics' and some 'Rainbow reading' phonics. The Phonology is similar and your boys won't be disadvantaged. My kids are similar age (6, 3) and both myself and OH are teachers. If anything our 6YO has better word attack strategies than her peers. Sorry, teacher head now firmly off, we're on holidays. Happy to help, please feel free to PM for other questions.

Mark

Guest dibdobs

Thanks for that Mark. I will get my jolly phonics flash cards out ! Anything to get my mind off the sale of our house :confused: (we should exchange in the next few days)

Deb

Guest katsmajic

That was one of my first questions at Sebs welcome morning, as he was learning with phonics in the UK...now hes finally getting back into school he will be using 'phonics and rainbow', had a look through the material and its pretty good, Sebs happy, hes not doing inky mice i i i but the new phonics are good.