What do you miss the most from the UK?

Guest cjdelphi

Guest cjdelphi

For me up until the last couple of years it was TV, let's face it, TV's as entertaining as watching paint dry with the exception of maybe 1 show which made me laugh which was the Chasers war on everything, Australia just has no concept of comedy.

TV (Fixed for now) i've got my fix.

Jaffacakes.

Crisps (Skips, Quavers, Discos etc)

Cherry Coke (Although about 3 years ago, they had Cherry Coke for about 4 months)

Cherry Aid. (similar, Australians don't seem to like Cherry Drinks)

Dandelion and Burdock, although Sarsaparilla tastes similar.

Dry Roasted Peanuts (And they used to sell them too!)

Gammon, like they serve at restraunts in the UK, you just don't get it here.

Ever tried to order Chicken Fried Rice from a takeaway here?... they have no idea what that is! home cooked for that.

If you miss ale's go to Parafield airport next to bunnings there's a liquor shop there which sells almost every imported lager/beer you ever drank.

Anything else?..

Guest cazzie

What do I miss?

Heinz cream of tomato soup

Tesco tiger rolls

Tesco honey nut cornflakes

Tesco sugar puffs

Warninks advocaat

The smell of bonfire night/winter/Christmas in the air

Family and friends

Tesco/Asda/Waitrose

right here it goes

Family & Friends

the smell of september arriving

the smell of bonfire night & christmas

Knowing familiar faces

emmerdale, corrie

free presciptions and dental care for the kids, also free contraceptives

tesco

decent clothes shops, i need a Next here

being paid tips ( im a hairdresser)

snow

Bath park (Victoria)

squirrels

Pizza express

ball ponds in pubs

not having to pay school fees

the help my son used to get at school

the community I used to live in

I don't think ive missed anything.....

by the way I love Adelaide

Laura xxx

Guest cjdelphi

I must admit, bonfire night, guy forks standing around in the chilly air being able to smell a mixture of cooked meat and gun powder and burning smells from bbq's and then all the bangs and whoooshes and pretty lights that follow...

and then the next morning it's usually a bit foggy with a smell of burnt cardboard, yep i have fond memories :)

And yes, friends family, but facebook helps out on that part.

Guest Richard & Amanda

Hiya,

I miss Marks and Spencer......... nothing particular about M&S just all of it - being able to bimble around especially on the run up to Chrimbo now.

The shops here are.....erm ......different :err:

I love Adelaide though just wish there was an M&S :wubclub:

Guest the staffords

friends(not the tv show!)

some family

goin to watch the wolves

a good balti house

melton mowbray pork pies

english country pubs(and the odd welsh,scottish and irish one too)

not goin dark till late in the summer

took me ages to think of those!

I know i am not there,yet.........but i will miss

sending the OH to Tesco at 2am on xmas eve!!

Asda cornish pasties, yum yum......

Primark for socks, undies and tee shirts..........maybe target will replace that??

Expensive fuel

Rain

Corrie, emmerdale, sky tv.

Queues for no obvious reason

Mushy peas

Spam

Costco

Some are true.....some are not...........

J

Guest the staffords
I know i am not there,yet.........but i will miss

sending the OH to Tesco at 2am on xmas eve!!

Asda cornish pasties, yum yum......

Primark for socks, undies and tee shirts..........maybe target will replace that??

Expensive fuel

Rain

Corrie, emmerdale, sky tv.

Queues for no obvious reason

Mushy peas

Spam

Costco

Some are true.....some are not...........

J

its people like you that have made foxtel(sky) put emmerdale,eastenders and coronation street on over here..thanks a million...:arghh:

ps did you see dirty den got killed last night?wow.

Guest cazzie
order is for order nazis lol , how u both getting on ?

Hello Clare,

We are getting on really well now thank you very much. I have obviously found it quite difficult settling in but Bill is an Aussie through and through and is in his element now that he has it all - in Oz with his girl! We played tennis near the beach yesterday and I had one of those 'wow!' moments as I kept looking at the sea/scenery as I was playing and I tbought it was just amazing - a lovely moment.

I webcammed my family at 7am this morning and although it was very emotional - very hard when your daughter is crying and missing you - it was still wonderful to see them and my grandson was on show too!

All in all, each week is getting easier and I am becoming more fond of Adelaide by the day. I love the weather and outdoor lifestyle. Plus, I used to be a sporty person in my younger days - neglected for 35 years - but now I am gradually getting into cycling, walking, tennis and will be kayaking soon. Hopefully, I will be able to lose some weight and get much fitter than I have been for years, so lots of positives.

The main thing for me though, is that Bill and I are together and very, very happy - yay!

Hope you are ok too. Take care, Cazzie and Bill x

Hello Clare,

We are getting on really well now thank you very much. I have obviously found it quite difficult settling in but Bill is an Aussie through and through and is in his element now that he has it all - in Oz with his girl! We played tennis near the beach yesterday and I had one of those 'wow!' moments as I kept looking at the sea/scenery as I was playing and I tbought it was just amazing - a lovely moment.

I webcammed my family at 7am this morning and although it was very emotional - very hard when your daughter is crying and missing you - it was still wonderful to see them and my grandson was on show too!

All in all, each week is getting easier and I am becoming more fond of Adelaide by the day. I love the weather and outdoor lifestyle. Plus, I used to be a sporty person in my younger days - neglected for 35 years - but now I am gradually getting into cycling, walking, tennis and will be kayaking soon. Hopefully, I will be able to lose some weight and get much fitter than I have been for years, so lots of positives.

The main thing for me though, is that Bill and I are together and very, very happy - yay!

Hope you are ok too. Take care, Cazzie and Bill x

so glad to hear your doing well, missing your family is the hardest part. I dont think you realise just how hard it can be. Im sort of moving out of my really bad homesickness faze a bit to just being badly homesick:biglaugh:but will get there. Good look with the sports, my husband wants a kyak for hi birthday so if your bill can recommend anywhere to get one that would be fab. :cute:

Guest the staffords
:biglaugh:,

gotchya!!!! Not upset, just thick enough to need clarity on the ppl comment;

not all us northerners are soap addicts..........and my son will prove it to you:biglaugh:

Have a goodun

J

ha ha no probs...my mrs is (or was) a scouser..after 16years she is just getting used to my "ways"..:goofy:

regards

I miss the obvious things like family and friends and, more importantly, Tesco and Next! But to be honest, there's not really anything that makes me want to go back. And yet, sometimes when it's quiet and I'm gazing out of the window doing the washing up, I get the most tremendous longing for Birmingham and to wander round the Bull Ring and Mailbox and go for a meal in our favourite restaurants there. It sounds silly doesn't it, the feeling doesn't last long but sometimes it's sooo strong.:embarrassed: