Guest Nicky&Andy

how far would you go?

    Recommended Posts

    Guest Nicky&Andy

    I know the property market has gone crazy, and everyone's dropping their house price to get that sale,

    but out of interest, how far have you gone to get that sale

    all answers will hopefully help me make a decision on weather to accept the offer on mine(70k less then asking price)

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest sarahsmartiepants

    It is a decision for you to make, You have to work out whether its worth it or not.

    sarah

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest the staffords

    hi nick and andy...just over 3 years ago..we were struggling to sell our house...and then we were offered 20k below asking price(185,000)....we took the offer for a couple of reasons..our date for validating the visas was getting closer and so we had to think what a holiday would cost in oz for a family of 4...also we knew house prices here were starting to move up...and last but not least we were so desperate to get out here...3+ years on,we have no regrets at all.

    also,if your asking price is 120k,and someone offered me 70k below...then!!???!!

    good luck to you both

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Django

    Its a case of whether you feel you will have enough money to start a new life over here with. We came out 2 weeks ago with just the money from the sale of our car. We were unable to sell the house so have rented it out.

    We have had to buy a car on finance which we didn't want to do and have also had to rent as we have no deposit for a mortgage. Our one advantage is that Tracey already had a job to go to so we should start to have an income in a couple of weeks. Yes funds are low and getting lower but felt it was the right thing to do and if our maths are correct we should be okay. When we sell the house in a few years time (hopefully) then we can look into buying a house and paying off the car finance.

    So its not how much you are prepared to except for your house but whether you can get by with the money made from the sale or have you enough funds to get by until you can sell your house for what it is really worth.

     

    Good luck with your decission making.

     

    Pete

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hi,

     

    I gree its all about personal circumstances. We put our house on the market in May 07, just before they began to drop. In July, after no takers we dropped it by 25k. We then had an offer 30k less than that. We said 'No' way, but after having to come out on my own with the kids hubby ended up accepting an offer fo 40k less than that offer. In the end we sold for just over 100k less than it originally went on for. Was it the right move. YES for us. It would have been great to have had that extra money but what is meant to be is meant to be. We still had enough for a decent deposit on our house.

     

    Sometimes I look back and wonder 'were we just being greedy' and then I think 'thank god we are not trying to sell now!!!

     

    If you want out enough and you can afford it take the chance and go

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Django
    If you want out enough and you can afford it take the chance and go

     

    Spot on:notworthy:

     

    Pete

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest caoimhe
    I know the property market has gone crazy, and everyone's dropping their house price to get that sale,

    but out of interest, how far have you gone to get that sale

    all answers will hopefully help me make a decision on weather to accept the offer on mine(70k less then asking price)

     

    When we put ours up in May the asking price for similar houses in the area was from 270,000-290,000 (last summer they were selling for 310,000) but under advice from the agent who is a family friend we put ours up at 245,000 as the others had been on for months. After 6 weeks and 1 viewer who couldn't sell theirs we dropped to 230,000, 1 more viewer and 8 weeks later we dropped to 205,000 at this price we had 6 viewings in a week and 2 offers. We got the asking price but in all honesty there is only one other house in the area at this price and it needs a lot of work were ours doesn't.

    We weren't happy to have to drop so low but it will get us out there and give us a small deposit on a house hopefully, but I do worry if we will be able to get the mortgage that we will need to buy something decent. We shouln't need more of a mortgage than we have here but we will not get any government help as on a temp visa, were here we get tax credit and family allowance.

    We also took into consideration that we have to validate by end of Feb and for 6 of us the flights are 7,500 so after hiring a car etc we probably wouldn't have much change from 10 grand which would eat into our money we have to bring with us.

    70 grand does seem rather steep and sounds a bit cheeky to offer, sometimes I wonder are people taking the p*** because they know the market is bad. What position are the buyers in, if they are 1st timers maybe that is all they can go to but if not do you know what they were offered on their own house, maybe they could go more and are just testing the water.

    At the end of the day you have to decide if you are prepared to let your house go for that, I feel we have given our house away, my neighbour paid 10 grand more 2 years ago than what we just got but it will get us out there. I wish we could have afforded to rent our out but it really wasn't an option.

    Good luck with your decision:wubclub:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Nicky&Andy

    thanks guys for the replys

     

    given me much to think about, are flights are booked for feb (we have to activate then as well) i know that the people have to sale their house, they have an offer,(40k less than on for) last week they offered us 10k less, we said no, this week 10k more but so say theve been to get a mortgage sorted and cant get anymore.

     

    we are ready to go, cant wait to get on with our new life.

     

    i might test the water for 15k more, (although i dont want to frighten them off)

     

    nicky

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    its a shame the uk housing market has been inflated for some time, ive looked at your move and people are still holding out from 12 months ago with same asking price. Sometimes its best to cut your loses at end of the day a house will only sell for what people are prepared to buy it for. We ended up knocking 20k off ours to sell, we have enough for a deposit and our virtually starting again from scratch, sometimes i do regret this but we've made our choice now :)

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest the staffords
    its a shame the uk housing market has been inflated for some time, ive looked at your move and people are still holding out from 12 months ago with same asking price. Sometimes its best to cut your loses at end of the day a house will only sell for what people are prepared to buy it for. We ended up knocking 20k off ours to sell, we have enough for a deposit and our virtually starting again from scratch, sometimes i do regret this but we've made our choice now :)

     

    i agree 100% clare...we were just the same...enough for a small deposit..and starting from scratch...we are like newly wed first time buyers(me 48,mrs39,kids11&4)

    at the end of the day its only money!;)

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Woops dont know what happened there LOL

     

    In the Uk hubby and I were earning about £110k between us. We had a 4 bed house but were never there to spend time with our kids. When we were at home the weather was mostly foul so we just vegged out.

    We basicalley lived for our holidays. Here we earn a lot less but have a 4 bed house with a pool. We see heaps more of our kids, have a great social life and have even got ourselves a couple of dogs, something we would never have considered in the UK. We dont even feel the need to go on holiday (although we are LOL). Id be quite happy to take a week off and explore or laze by the pool. We also comfort ourselves with the fact that when it rains we know summer is coming. I know its not all about sunshine but I dont think its all about money either. Kids grow up so fast and time goes so quickly I just want to enjoy it to the full.

     

    I miss my friends and what little family I have but I haven't looked back. I've had some hard times, financially and emotionally when I came without hubby but brought the kids. They cried for him and I cried for them but we are all together now.

     

    Karen x

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest FlyByNight

    Once again, I am in the dilemma to let or just vacate the house. I thought I had it straight in my own mind (as some of you may have seen from my recent threads) that we were just going to 'lock up and go' - but OH mentioned last night that her friend has a friend who is trustworthy and wants to rent - hence we start the whole 'letting' debate again. Then this morning (having just had the guy from John mason removals round for pre-move assessment) I have read this thread.

     

    All the views and experiences are, as ever good to read and I have concluded as have many of you above that your own circumstances and situations will dictate your final decision.

     

    What is apparent though from the above posts is that we all share that common goal. Those of you who have made sacrifices to get where you are seem to be happy with your lot and glad you took the plunge. This gives me great confidence and reinforces for me the fact that people are resilient, and if they desire something badly enough will work out the problems encountered along the way. Come to think of it that was probably my subconscious philosophy from when we first started contemplating a move to Oz:idea:

     

    My two-penneth...............stay flexible and remember why you are doing this. It will reap it's own rewards - which aren't necessarily financial (see avatar):cool:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Nicky&Andy

    I JUST DONT BELIEVE IT :arghh::arghh::arghh:

    THOUGHT I WOULD TEST THE WATER , TRY FOR THE EXTRA 15K,

     

    they very quickly got bact to us and accepted (funny seeing as they couldnt go higher)

     

    today, just got a call, they still want our house but their buyer has pulled out

     

    is this a coincedence? (sorry cant spell) did they ever have a buyer ? was the estate agent just seeing how low we would go , to get his sale?

    oh my god im going paranoid as well:arghh:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest caoimhe

    Oh Nicky I'm really sorry, when I started to read the post I thought it was good news:goofy:

    Hope something turns up

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Nicky&Andy

    thanks jackie

     

    were not giving up hope though, at least we have someone who wants the house , (i know that bit is true , cause she has been 6 times now , and never wants to leave)

     

    hope your sale is going ok , ive been reading your posts,

     

    good luck

    nicky

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Oh what rotten luck!

    Be patient....it will come right.

    I have to agree with claire and the staffords.........you have to weigh up the pros and cons; a new start with all that entails, or stay with what you got!

    For me it was a no brainer, 10k below the asking for a 6bed, 2 bath mansh on the wirral; buyer prepared to wait for 2 months to move; or selling myself short on my skills, experience and qualies to get a job that is, frankly, below par.........or a new life down under. I ripped their arm off...........:huh:. And i am not rubbing noses in the proverbial; it is meant as a beacon of belief........

     

    My mate is now in Perth, sans famile; no sale, 1 viewing . Offered 45k less; after more than a year!! She is considering renting her home to students, just so she can get her family back together.

     

    I hope you get sorted soon

     

    Jane

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now