Guest bessie

St Johns Grammar School - PRIVATE SCHOOLS - ADVICE PLEASE!

Guest bessie

Hi everyone :)

my husband and i are thinking of moving out to adelaide next autumn.

we have two children. i have been looking at independent schools in adelaide on the net, as we wanted to choose an area to live in close to school of our choice.

we really like the look of St Johns Grammar School in Belair but couldnt afford to buy in Belair so have been looking at Aberfoyle Park instead.

does anyone know anything about this school and this area (obviously we're just going from info on net!)

we've also been looking at Sheidow Park but is that too far from St Johns GRammar to make living there possible?

its so difficult when you cant visualise distence!

thanks for any insights on these places!

:)

Hi,

St johns Grammer is a good school. I know someone who works there. Aberfoyle Park is a nice place to live. I think you will find that quite a few of those on this forum live in that Area. You might like to look at Happy Valley, Woodcroft and Flagstaff Hill which are all neighbouring suburbs and within commuting distance to that school. If you like the look of it dont rule out Sheidow Park. It has great access to the main South Road and probably works out to be about the same distance.

Compared to the UK traffic is light. My hubby travels from Woodcroft to Greenhill Road, near the city in about 35 mins. All those suburbs are slightly closer

Karen

Guest dale_jo@

we have two children. i have been looking at independent schools in adelaide on the net, as we wanted to choose an area to live in close to school of our choice.

we really like the look of St Johns Grammar School in Belair but couldnt afford to buy in Belair so have been looking at Aberfoyle Park instead.

does anyone know anything about this school and this area (obviously we're just going from info on net!)

we've also been looking at Sheidow Park but is that too far from St Johns GRammar to make living there possible?

I have a friend and her two kids have just stareted going to St Johns and they love it!!!

Her dad teaches there and it has a fantastic reputation!!! They also commute from Hallet Cove and she copes ok also!!!:wubclub:

Halloooo

myson spent the last five years ensconced in the maroon blazer of St John'sGrammar. So here's me thoughts......(middle and senior school)

Wonderful grounds, very picturesque with a very calm atmosphere. The school has chimes instead of bells to appease the local residents.

Facilities : Large gym, 3-4 science labs, library and art annexe (still temporary buildings) tech studies building, music rooms, home ec rooms, drama rooms, kiln, small oval ( use a bigger one in the national park if needed) loads of classrooms.

Kids : Most kids come from the surrounding hills suburbs including Aberfoyle Park etc. The kids are really engaged in their education both academic and extracurricular. Most kids play at least one sport for the school. The kids usually come from families where both parents work, ie not mega rich. The kids are very supportive of each other.....read the online newsletters for this year on their website.

Staff : Very supportive, encourage the kids to have compassion for others outside of their world. Usually have the same group of kids in their home group for 3 years so get to know them well. Will ring the parents if there are problems. Particularly in the senior years they make themselves available at lunch for students.

Pastoral care : Grouped into houses, stay in the same home group for yrs 7-9 and then another for 10-12. They really do follow what they state ie,there will be at least one member of staff that knows your child really well. Good special ed programme.

Subjects : wide range of subjects available, kids who excel at maths are able to work at the next year level. In yr 7 as an option they offer archaeology as a semester subject and all yr 7s study philosophy. Languages are Japanese and Indonesian. The curriculum is very broad.

Extracurricular: Swimming carival and sports day every year. Yrs 7-9 go to some sort of outdoor ed camp each year. House sport comps at lunch. Sporting teams. Pedalprix, debating etc, orchestra, concert band, choirs etc, annual musical. caberet

Transport : there is a school bus that services Aberfoyle park areas. It services both Senior campus and Junior, although it might be a shuttle to the junior,can't remember.

Uniform is extremely wearable, it lasts for ever ,girls uniform cost more initially due to the fact they change with the seasons from dress to winter kilt and tights. They are allowed to wear their PE uniform to school on the days that they have double PE. The school is very strict on their uniform policy. Second hand uniform is available at the uniform shop and bears no stigma cos little kids grow out of blazers and skirts quickly and the quality is good so it wears well. There are some minor differences between the junior school and senior, the girls change from blue to white shirts.

Other : There are two lots of parent teacher interview nights per year. They like the kids to attend too in the senior school.

You willhave to buy all the stationary,but the schoolhas a text book hire scheme where you pay about $100 a year and rent the books off the school (some book lists for some schools run into the $100s if you have to buy them all)

Junior school : my son didn't attend here, but the kids that come up from there have been prepared to a high level. The year 6 classes go to Canberra for a week. They participate in all sports, independent school choir nights, offer music tuition etc. It had a good rep even before they expanded into senior schooling. It used to be just a primary until 10 yrs ago.

The principal of the school my girls attend said that they do some excellent things at St Johns, it is well thought of by the older more established schools.

This is great info Rachel, cant wait until my kids are old enough to go this school:jiggy:. It sounds exactly what i would be looking for. Is there a primary in this school, or where is the best primary close by?

Is this a private school and if so how much would this cost a term if you dont mind me asking!!

Kelie:wubclub:

The school has a montisori preschool, a kindy and then junior school from Reception to yr 6, they go up to the senior school for yrs 7-12. Yes it is a private school. All schools that have "grammar " after their name here means it is private. There are lots of good state primary schools in the suburbs around the school and the school has quite a big intake at yr 8 level of kids who have been to state prinmaries.

Fees for this year are

Per Term (4 terms a school year)

Monti ( 1 session/week) $376 ( No government funding to school at Monti so fees are higher

( 2 sessions/week) $630 than kindy)

Kindergarten (4 sessions/week) $476

Rec - yr6) $4908 per year

Yr7 $7425 per year

yr 8-9 $8061 per yr

yr 10 $8895 per yr

yr 11-12 $9318 per yr

PLUS

Composite fee ( covers consumables and excursions etc)

Rec - yr 4 $750 per yr

yr 5-6 $906 per yr

yr 7-9 $1377 per yr

yr 10 $1212 per yr

yr 11-12 $1278 per yr

PLUS

Book hire fee yr 7-12 $150 per yr

Bond (once at entry...refundable on leaving) $150

PLUS

Capital levy Rec -yr12 $760 per yr

This info is on their website and they update each yr. There are some scholarships:academic, music and all rounders.

www.stjohns.sa.edu

Thanks Rachel, that is agreat help, school looks lovely on the site..... Its whether i can afford it or not now, have to see what my salary will be:skeptical::skeptical:

Guest Bodie

Hi Bessie. Just wrote really long reply that got lost somewhere so trying again. St John's is well regarded and has recently gained some staff from a couple of top private schools. We live in Hawthorndene and many families send their children there now or plan to for secondary school. It would be worth putting your name on the waiting list. Belair is a lovely area with a real mixture of house prices. You could buy one for 2 million or get a decent one for around 400,000. The blocks are usually big though not always flat. The surrounding suburbs of Belair are also worth considering. Glenalta usually has cheaper houses and the block size could be anywhere between 900 and 1500 sqm. The suburb is walking distance to St John's junior school and not far from the senior school and pre school. Hawthorndene is next to Glenalta and Blackwood. Again, our suburb has extremely varying house prices. We love it here and would not considering moving from the general area. It is only a couple of minutes in the car to all campuses of St John's. Some people buy a house on a good block of land and plan to either knock it down and build the house of their dreams or renovate - usually cheaper than buying a vacant plot. You mention Sheidow Park; I could be wrong but I believe a nice suburb in that area is around 400 - 500,000 (?) - you could easily buy a nice house for that in Belair or neighbouring suburbs. Nearby suburbs to Belair also worth considering are Blackwood, Eden Hills and Coromandel Valley. Anything the other side of Belair eg down the hill results in much higher prices and smaller blocks.

Good luck,

Tracey

Guest bessie

Wow! thanks everyone for the great replies - especially Rachiegarlo and Bodie! greart information

I'm glad to hear positive feedback for st Johns - as i really like the look of it on the net. my parents are visiting adelaide in december so i will send them for a tour of the school.

thanks also to those who responded to my query of areas to live :) i've got a few more areas to check out now :) we're looking for somewhere with at least four beds (daft enough to want more kids :) ha ha ) so perhaps living a bit away from st johns will give us that option!

thanks again :)

Guest Marshall

I go to Woodcroft College (Private) in morphett vale. Been there for 3weeks now and really good and everyones really friendly. Just google Woodcroft College.

Hope this helps

Marshall