Sign in to follow this  
Guest ReadyPenny

Asthma Medication for Kids

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys

Can anybody tell me what you do about asthma meds in Oz? Do you have to pay for kids medication and if so how much?

cheers all

Mandy

Hi Mandy.

I believe you do need to pay for Asthma medication - I'm asthmatic myself and "they" thought for a while my son was too (he's not). When we got here we visitied the local GP but he ended up giving us loads of samples, which I'm still using now!

You'll need to get your Medicare cards sorted as soon as you get here too - very important - as they'll reimburse quite a bit, depending on the treatment, but expect to pay for more stuff than in the UK - you even pay for the pill over here!

Justin.

Guest ReadyPenny

Cheers Justin - flamin 'eck I thought it might be free for kids!! Won't put me off coming though, can't wait, just hope visa comes through quickly - here's hoping for a miracle

Mandy

Guest Pesky Varmit

Hi - my kids had a recent flare up due to a virus even though they'd been clear for a few years. Ventolin cost about $12 for 2 inhalers but unfortunately the seretide cost $31.30 each although this is an expensive inhaler and the true cost to the government would be about $160. If your child takes a lot of medication you would be advised to register for the safety net scheme with your local pharmacy and once your family as a whole as spent $1090 (or thereabouts) the costs of scripts are then reduced to $5 per item providing the drug is available on the PBS scheme. If not you would have to pay the full price of the drug. Hope this helps.