Guest ems

RAH - Bed crisis in August.

Guest ems

Just saw a newspaper article from August: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24210006-2682,00.html

Just out of interest, is this common and who sorts these problems out (nurses or a bed management team)?

Where i work this is common, at least every 2 weeks, if not more. Who sorts these problems out? I get fed up with phoning patients to tell them there OP is cancelled or they have to go to a ward that is completely inappropriate for them IE, can't provide the care that is required.:arghh:

I know everywhere has problems with beds, just thought it would be interesting to compare the frequency of these problems.

yep its the same the world over, same in private too. We have 12 icu beds at ashford, other night we had 15 icu patients so 3 were nursed on hdu! Plus another one coming in but private wont cancel ops (money). If you go to flinders a+e you can sit on a trolley for days to wait for a bed if no healthc cover (i know as ive done it and it happens all the time). They are meant to be building another hospital in adelaide, but yes shortage of beds is huge.

Hdu?? Claire, where i worked, i got icu pts "dumped" (medical term) in my Recovery, just cos i had icu experience!!

:skeptical:seems some familiar aspects will make me less homesick...................

Guest ems

Didn't expect things to be much different, i suppose a hospital is a hospital. Always going to be too many patients and not enough beds. Lets hope they get building soon.

Hdu?? Claire, where i worked, i got icu pts "dumped" (medical term) in my Recovery, just cos i had icu experience!!

:skeptical:seems some familiar aspects will make me less homesick...................

yep that happens too, i was sent to icu one shift last week as id done some cardio thoracic icu a few years ago but asking me to have a patient on haemofiltration was a bit bloody much so i refused! To be honest though the 2 patients i had were more like level 2 hdu patients i was used to in uk with inatropes, hiflow etc. The hdu i work is more of a glorified post-op ward most exciting thing is an art line or epidural :biglaugh: