minkyme29

Can you get stuff on HP if you're on a SIR visa?

Maybe they don't call it Hire purchase here? Yet to find out but am wondering if people on the SIR visa (ie provisional) can get goods on HP? I know credit cards are a no no so imagine HP is probably the same.

Anybody know?

Thanks

Dette :)

Maybe they don't call it Hire purchase here? Yet to find out but am wondering if people on the SIR visa (ie provisional) can get goods on HP? I know credit cards are a no no so imagine HP is probably the same.

Anybody know?

Thanks

The major retailers seem to have different rules (or none at all) on HP.

You can get credit cards on a SIR visa

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris. I am surprised to hear you can have a credit card on a SIR visa as my husband was refused one at our local ANZ bank when opening an account for his business - had to go for a Visa debit card instead. It's encouraging to know this may be incorrect.

Thanks for your reply to the thread...

I think banks and most retailers are wary of any new arrivals, whether they be SIR or not. We've been here 11 months and my wife now has a credit card. Credit score is the most important thing for HP - once you've built up a good credit rating you should be good to go really.

Guest TC for short

If it's any help, we arrived on a Business ETA (the on-line visa) which prohibits work but allows business meetings, lectures etc & had credit cards within a week. That was with Commonwealth Bank.

TC