Sign in to follow this  
Guest Devon

Word of advice for any BT employees

Guest Devon

Hi there if there are any BT or ex BT employees on their way!

Following on from something Sas said in a previous thread - don't take it for granted that employers here will know who BT are! I made the mistake before seeing Sas's post and put BT (UK) on my resume :daydreaming:it was mistaken for BT financial group an Australian company. Hence to say I've now changed it to BT (UK) formerly known as British Telecom!

Make sure you keep your EIN, OUC (even though this used to change constantly) and NI number for all reference requests - luckily I have tracked this down with a bit of help from an old friend as BT cannot provide a reference without these details apparently they cannot find you! :arghh:

If at all possible get your manager to do you a reference (it seems they're not supposed to give a personal one but some still will) the reason being BT policy is that they can only give start date, end date, and position with company - this doesn't always suffice here. Also some prespective employers here expect 2 - 3 employer references which is difficult after working for BT for 15 years and every manager has done the same as me and took voluntary redundancy :cute:

Just thought this may be of help to some people and they can learn from what's happened to me ;)

Guest tinad

Hi there

Just looking through some old posts in the Career section and came across yours. I have been a bit worried because not seen any posts about telecoms work on PIA. My hubby has been with BT for 20 years installing fibre optic cables and we lodged our 176 appliation at the beginning of December. Our friend in Adelaide, who is a plumber, has been speaking to any telecoms people he meets on site, and all seem to be quite positive that he will get work.

What did you do at BT, and how did you find it getting work?

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tina

Guest terjo
    Hi there

Just looking through some old posts in the Career section and came across yours. I have been a bit worried because not seen any posts about telecoms work on PIA. My hubby has been with BT for 20 years installing fibre optic cables and we lodged our 176 appliation at the beginning of December. Our friend in Adelaide, who is a plumber, has been speaking to any telecoms people he meets on site, and all seem to be quite positive that he will get work.

What did you do at BT, and how did you find it getting work?

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tina

Hi Tina

I notice you have lodged a 176 visa. can i ask are you going out through your husbands career skills or yours, as we tried to get out through with my husband s ( a bt engineer) and went through the TRA and was turned down so would appreciate any help you can give. I am hoping to re-train as a nurse so arent looking at going for another 3 yrs but would still like it if he good get his skills assessed successfully.

Thanks

Teresa

Guest tinad

Hi Teresa

Not sure how he passed really! His apprenticeship was as an electrical/mechanical fitter with British rail, and when he finished that he went straight on to BT, we are not sure if his 20 yrs experience swayed it, but he has no formal qualifications in that area. We did have a family friend in Adelaide helping us with the presentation of the TRA form (she used to be a migration consultant) and we went into it fully knowing that there was a good chance of failure, so nearly died when we got the ok!! Is your husband a fibre optic engineer? we are led to believe that they are installing this in Aus over the next few years, so that could have been it. His application was 'telecommunications linesperson' is that the one you tried? We would be happy to help you, just let us know.

Tina

Guest Devon

Hi Tina

Sorry I must have missed this one.

My OH was an engineer and had done fibre optics, I had worked in call centre management.

I hate being the barer of bad news but there are not really the telecoms jobs here at the moment for engineers, although the talk of broadband keeps going on and when that comes in I'm sure there will be loads of jobs then. However even Telstra didn't put the bid in for the broadband contract recently! So don't know what will happen when.

Some of the jobs that there are require you to start your own business and sub contract to those that contract to Telstra. So you would need to purchase the van and tools ewtc (hope it doesn't come to this for you)

I didn't want to ignore your post but also trying not to get you worried as some people are very lucky when they get here and hopefully you will be one of them. So fingers crossed for you. You seem to be coming in on a different visa to start with as we just got in on 495.

We are actually heading back to the UK in a couple of months.

Good luck with the move and everything

C

Guest terjo
    Hi Teresa

Not sure how he passed really! His apprenticeship was as an electrical/mechanical fitter with British rail, and when he finished that he went straight on to BT, we are not sure if his 20 yrs experience swayed it, but he has no formal qualifications in that area. We did have a family friend in Adelaide helping us with the presentation of the TRA form (she used to be a migration consultant) and we went into it fully knowing that there was a good chance of failure, so nearly died when we got the ok!! Is your husband a fibre optic engineer? we are led to believe that they are installing this in Aus over the next few years, so that could have been it. His application was 'telecommunications linesperson' is that the one you tried? We would be happy to help you, just let us know.

Tina

Thank you for getting back to me Tina, i wish you all the best

Teresa

Guest tinad

Hi there

Thanks for your reply and I appreciate your honesty. I must admit the job situation is what gives me the most wobbles! but we are willing to do absolutely anything to get started.

On a positive note, we are really really lucky to have sold our house and managed to make a bit of money to bring, so if OH has to go self employed and put some money into it, then that is what we will have to do, and the house can come much later. We also have our very best friends in the world over there in Grange with lots of support, and our visa will be permanent, so we will qualify for assistance. We can either give it a go, or spend the next 20 years wondering what if.......

You mentioned you were heading back to the UK, is that mainly because of the work situation?

Thanks again for your response, we need to hear the good and the bad!!

Tina

Guest terjo
    Hi Teresa

. His application was 'telecommunications linesperson' is that the one you tried? We would be happy to help you, just let us know.

Tina

Hi Tina

My oh has worked for bt for 8 years,(yes he did try telecommunications linesperson) but has done nearly everything but fibre optics but cant seem to get into that at the moment. Hes done flat roof, under ground cables, like i said most things, and hes waiting for an opportunity to get into fibre optics but has to wait for it. (indefinitely)We tried TRA and they turned him down,(they quoted pathway D, which is apparently what is used if you dont actually have an apprentiship), he had a glowing reference detailing all his skills from them(ie his line manager) but they(TRA) said, he needed to have done an apprentiship, which he hasn't, so any advice you can give would be great. I m hoping to get into nursing so he should have about 3 yrs.

Thanks again

Teresa

Guest Devon

Hi Tina

I'm sure that things will be fine for you and if you have children you will really enjoy your new adventure. I wish you the very best.

Yes we are heading back partly due to the job situation (in the fields that we were in anyway) - the thing is that we were unfortunate to come out when the broadband thing was obviously so far off. That time is hopefully on it's way now and the work will hopefully be there then. We have really tried our best however it has been three years of struggling with various issues. I couldn't get work in my field due to companies I was going for requiring pr or citizenship or other visa issues and to be honest who knows when the pr would have come through as it is months ago that we applied for it. There are many other issues as well - serious family illnesses etc.

We are sad in a way that it has come to this stage but we have to be realistic and the sun doesn't pay the bills and my work definately doesn't. OH is already closing his side down. Also although sad at thinking that this was now our home we are ok about going back. We liked it - Adelaide is a wonderful place although would not go so far as to say we love it. We were lucky in the fact that we had the beach five minutes walk from us in the UK - we actually went to the beach more there than we do here! We are also lucky enough that for the first time in several years we will both have proper jobs back there. That means that we will be able to go on holidays again! We haven't been lucky enough to have holidays together here. Having no children we used to fly away somewhere even just for the weekend at least once a month.

As said before though this was our situation - it is a great lifestyle here for those with children. The people are friendly and mix with the aussies as much as you can as it really is a case of not what you know but who you know!

I'm sure that things will be easier for you. As you say you've been lucky - you've sold the house, got pr visa's and already have friends here so you've got a headstart on others already - you should be fine. If we could get through the last three years without that luck then hopefully you'll be ok. There are also some great people on this site.

Go for it, enjoy it, and have fun, Good luck

C x

PS If you do need any company names that you need to start making contact for your OH to sub contract send me a pm and I'll send some to you - I'm not very good at pm'ing but will do my best