Sign in to follow this  
Guest rockpool crab

Stamp duty in Oz?

Guest rockpool crab

Hiya,

sorry if this has already been covered...but just wondering if there's an equivalent to stamp duty in Australia? I "think" it's just recently went up in UK to £170k.

I was looking at property and it struck me that the price I'm seeing might not be complete..might have stamp duty on top. Hope someone can advise.

cheers

Carol Ann

Guest Guzzler&Sas
    Hiya,

sorry if this has already been covered...but just wondering if there's an equivalent to stamp duty in Australia? I "think" it's just recently went up in UK to £170k.

I was looking at property and it struck me that the price I'm seeing might not be complete..might have stamp duty on top. Hope someone can advise.

cheers

Carol Ann

I'm afraid so, have a look at this calculator to give you an idea http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/calculate/conveycalc.html

Guzzler

Guest rockpool crab
    I'm afraid so, have a look at this calculator to give you an idea http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/calculate/conveycalc.html

Guzzler

Thanks for that (I think :))

My OH has now confused me and thinks it's only "sellers" who pay stamp duty and not buyers..is that right do you know?

mind you why would your calculator say "Qualify for first home concession"?

mm

think maybeez I'm right and you pay this over and above the price of your new home eh..hope you can advise.

Cheers

Carol Ann

Guest Guzzler&Sas
    Thanks for that (I think :))

My OH has now confused me and thinks it's only "sellers" who pay stamp duty and not buyers..is that right do you know?

mind you why would your calculator say "Qualify for first home concession"?

mm

think maybeez I'm right and you pay this over and above the price of your new home eh..hope you can advise.

Cheers

Carol Ann

The buyer pays the stamp duty, be prepared for a shock when you enter a house price,

Guzzler

Guest rockpool crab
    The buyer pays the stamp duty, be prepared for a shock when you enter a house price,

Guzzler

I did..sob. It's not easy is it. Bring back the £10 poms..I'd do that if given the chance!

I totally feel that we're missing the boat big time..sigh. wouldn't be so bad if could get the new $21K first time buyer...that could cover the stamp duty...mm...maybeez we just wait a couple of years before we buy..but the mortgage clock is ticking ..we aint' as young as we used to be :-( although I am at heart still a teenager..lol.

Thanks for the help.

Carol Ann

Guest Perth Pom

Stamp duty is a rip off in OZ!:arghh:

Not only are you ripped off when you buy a house, you are ripped off when you pay insurance, road fund license, get a mortgage, get a loan. Stamp duty doesn't just apply to housing unfortunately.

Guest salisbury massive

New and Second hand cars have stamp duty !!!!!

Guest FlyByNight

Hi RC and everyone else on the thread,

I have now also become confused and the reason - this link:

Go to 'StampDuty' and select 'mortgages' from the drop down menu.

http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/

Can anyone enilighten me? :unsure:

Guest FlyByNight

Just wanted to see if anyone could enlighten me. Or has my above post caused some disturbances in the force :sad: - see above post

Guest Guzzler&Sas
    Just wanted to see if anyone could enlighten me. Or has my above post caused some disturbances in the force :sad: - see above post

Hi,

Stamp duty is payable on the purchase price of the house but you no longer have to pay stamp duty on any amount borrowed in the form of a mortgage,

Guzzler