Be Prepared......!!!!!

Guest graandjac

Dear Tyke,

We validated our visa in August but have realised Adelaide is not for us. However, this is not a waste of a visa, its about a family being realistic.

It does not matter how much research you do, its only by visiting Adelaide that you can be realistic.

Better to try and be realistic about moving abroad, pros and cons etc. And weighing up everything.

Adelaide for us would not of provided us with a better standard of living, nor the same standard of living we have in England.

We live in a beautiful house, in a beautiful part of England. With two very good wages coming in.

My wife is very lucky as she can walk into a job anywhere. Being a highly skilled nurse.

However, we are not writing Australia off. We will go and visa other states with the view of moving there.

A lot of people move to Adelaide and find it difficult to secure a job. They also end up working longer hours. Yet this is rarely mentioned on this website.

A forum is supposed to provide a balanced view of a subject. But in reality this website does not do that. If people do view there thoughts they are seen to be negative, moaning poms.

We believe there are many people who live in Adelaide who would live else where if they had the choice. This could be in another state or in another country.

For us Adelaide did not provide anything for our 18 year old (who had left school) and it would of only been a short time before he would move away to a state that could provide what he is looking for.

The areas we did like in Adelaide did not have good transport. This would of taken Grandads independence off him.

Viewing Adelaide with two young children is different to viewing it with older children who have left school and having an elderly parent also plays a major role on what you decide.

Adelaide is beautiful and for some people it will be for them. However, they will have to work hard and nothing is given to you for free.

Lyn

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sarahsmartiepants

A lot of people move to Adelaide and find it difficult to secure a job. They also end up working longer hours. Yet this is rarely mentioned on this website.

A forum is supposed to provide a balanced view of a subject. But in reality this website does not do that. If people do view there thoughts they are seen to be negative, moaning poms.

Lyn

you are right there about a balanced view. the thing is most people when emigrating only hear what they want to hear. It justifies their reasons for emigrating, so when they ask a question and people answer it, the majority of the time they say thanks to the person who has answered it in the way they like, usuallly a person still in the UK , not from the person who is here and really knows. I have seen this loads of times, happens to me all the time, so now I hardly bother as I think they dont want to hear what I have to say.

If i could do links I would put my favourite one here!!:biglaugh:.

As for people posting when they are unhappy with something it rarely happens as there is always some bright spark saying "we have an airport get on a plane and go home" or for some reason they find it important to say what they badly miss (food, shops etc) instead of all the important things as to why they dont like it.

sarah

Guest Guest75
you are right there about a balanced view. the thing is most people when emigrating only hear what they want to hear. It justifies their reasons for emigrating, so when they ask a question and people answer it, the majority of the time they say thanks to the person who has answered it in the way they like, usuallly a person still in the UK , not from the person who is here and really knows. I have seen this loads of times, happens to me all the time, so now I hardly bother as I think they dont want to hear what I have to say.

sarah

This has very recently happened to me.............should I bother???:confused::confused:

Guest ozzy wannabe

I agree with you Sarah, do you notice that no one from the UK has posted on this thread since yesterday?

Be prepared, have enough money to look after your family so that if you cant get a job for a few months you wont starve. Book yourself accomodation for a couple of months before you get here, so that at least you have somewhere to live.

By being more prepared your increasing the chances of your dream working out right.

Getting your visa was just the start.:)

Lyn

I'm really sorry its not for you but as you say our needs are different to yours. Our kids are still very young. You are spot on with the transport problems. Its almost as though the powers that be believe that if you don't live near the beaches or city you don't need buses or trains. Its almost as if it is assumed everyone drives.:confused:

I don't see your post as negative as it is honest. It also shows that Adelaide will not be right for everyone and how can it be? We are all different people with different needs. I wish you well finding the place that is right for you and your family.

I agree with you Sarah, do you notice that no one from the UK has posted on this thread since yesterday?

Could this be because it is still yesterday in the UK? :P:biglaugh:

Excellent thread Gra...now why do they listen to you????????????

Did someone say something?:confused:

If i could do links I would put my favourite one here!!.

Point me in the right direction and I'll put it up for you Sarah.

We had no choice about coming to sa on a 495 and tbh if we could have gone anywhere our first choice would have been Brisbane. However I'm so glad we came here now. I am a great believer in fate. Hubby has a great job and tbh he is overpaid for what he does. No I can't get a teaching job, but knew that apart from relocating in Sydney I would be struggling. And if I'm being brutally honest it doesn't bother me as I was fed up to the back teeth of it in the uk.

Moving here is bloody hard work and finding your circle of friends and keeping them is the hardest thing of all. You have to work at it and it takes time to form bonds. Nothing happens overnight.

Guest Libby1971

Moving here is bloody hard work and finding your circle of friends and keeping them is the hardest thing of all. You have to work at it and it takes time to form bonds. Nothing happens overnight.

:notworthy::notworthy:

I can't believe I am saying this but I think, and this is my opinion, that when you start to meet people, after a while you get to be quite quick about who you think you could get on with and you make the time to have more conversations with them so that you can get a social and support network built up. After all, everyone else is trying to. If not, you move on. I am finding it hard to fit in all the people that I want to. I have a much larger social circle here than we ever did in the UK. That being said, I do have more time here than I did in the UK.

I came with the idea in my mind that I would set more strict boundaries about a work life balance. In the UK there wasn't one...it was work, work, work and then 45 mins for the kids at the end of the day!!! I couldn't work out a way to create a divide there but here I set the boundaries from the start, and so far (cross fingers, toes and anything else crossable), we have found a way.

Guest graandjac

:notworthy::notworthy:

I can't believe I am saying this but I think, and this is my opinion, that when you start to meet people, after a while you get to be quite quick about who you think you could get on with and you make the time to have more conversations with them so that you can get a social and support network built up. After all, everyone else is trying to. If not, you move on. I am finding it hard to fit in all the people that I want to. I have a much larger social circle here than we ever did in the UK. That being said, I do have more time here than I did in the UK.

Its right Libby.....going to be even harsher now......if i see someone being negative on here straight away ....iam sorry but we're not intrested to meet with these people....harsh to say but you do surround yourself with positive people, after all the saying "whineging poms", takes on a different meaning when your here. We have some very good new friends who we can rely on, but you soon realise that your going to meet loads more that come and go not because there bad people you just cant be friends with everyone.

On the uk'uns and the us here un's we all had rose tinted specs on at one time and its all part of the excitment of getting the visa ...so i dont want to knock the people who have just have realistic rose tinted specs on.:P

cos isn't that what sustains people through hard times anyway.....It is human nature to seek a positive.....like when someone dies people say it was a blessing really, or they didn't suffer...so it's no different to say it's all going to be good on the other side of the world cos otherwise why are we doing all this. However research and fortuitous financial planning need to accompany the dreams, cos when the purse is empty life can get a little hard.

Dear Tyke,

Adelaide for us would not of provided us with a better standard of living, nor the same standard of living we have in England.

We live in a beautiful house, in a beautiful part of England. With two very good wages coming in.

We believe there are many people who live in Adelaide who would live else where if they had the choice. This could be in another state or in another country.

For us Adelaide did not provide anything for our 18 year old (who had left school) and it would of only been a short time before he would move away to a state that could provide what he is looking for.

Adelaide is beautiful and for some people it will be for them. However, they will have to work hard and nothing is given to you for free.

Lyn

Can i just a question as to why if life and the standard of living was so good in the UK, beautiful house in a beautiful part of England why you decided to make the moce to Australia?

A balanced view of a subject can only be achieved on a forum when there is a balanced view from the posters on the forum should there be a greater majority who like/dislike something then you will never have a balanced view.

As for working hard and nothing is given for free isnt that true about any country, if there is a country that gives stuff for free and i dnt have to work hard then i want to know wehere it is !!!!

But on the whole you cannot judge a book by its cover, you have to read it and find out what it contains and you can only do this by getting inside of it.

I hope you find what you are looking for but trying to compare a life out here to what sounds like a happy, good lifestyle back in the UK is going to be quite hard.

Ok I'm still in the Uk, and been one of the whinging people complaining about house prices, but my negativitly stops here I am optomistic but grounded I'm never been to Adelaide but I have researched non stop (especially on Adelaide bound surprised I haven't worn the site out) and feeling confident when we are settled we will be happy.

Without the falls in life the peaks would not be so well appreciated in earning, I do have concerns so does every member of my family, so let free speach reign, better have informed choices for those of us coming, as you lot know, you live there you see the cracks in the finely painted picture that is given in the promised land.

Julie

Guest Libby1971

I read Gra's post just before we nipped out for dinner and have had a chance to ponder, as I am prone to do.

For me, I keep reading about positive people. What does that mean? I think it is important to define this. My OH feels Oz is his spiritual homeland (I swear he has been smoking/ sniffing/ eating something everytime he says it, which is alot, and suspect he is a closet hippy:biglaugh:). I don't. However, I do feel truly lucky to be here.:notworthy: But then I think, hell, we had the idea 12 years ago now and it took us 11 to get here, so it isn't luck at all, we worked incredibly hard to get here. I am positively certain I want to stay here and am prepared to work hard to do so. I am not sure if that makes me one of the positive people Graham mentions as each person defines a word according to their own interpretations but I think that is how I judge people. There is no such thing as a silver platter so don't expect Adelaide to hand you one and you won't be disappointed.

Adelaide is a beautiful place to be. I don't think I would choose to be anywhere else right now, so even when it is tough, if you are prepared for that, and the fact that you'll need to ask someone for that hug as they won't necessarily know you well enough to offer it, it is a great place to be.

I am feeling quite philosophical now!!!!!:biglaugh:

Guest Libby1971

I like Gra, truly I do, but Messiah is a bit steep! A minor deity I grant you, possibly, but in fairness, he isn't the only one who has ever said this. For me, the first person who started saying this was sarahsmartiepants so if anyone is a deity, it is her. :notworthy::notworthy:

And she does great hair, till Gra can do that, sorry, he isn't number one!!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

. For me, the first person who started saying this was sarahsmartiepants so if anyone is a deity, it is her. :notworthy::notworthy:

And she does great hair, till Gra can do that, sorry, he isn't number one!!!!!

Id better follow her then:arghh:...............doh! things are never easy here:)

Can i just a question as to why if life and the standard of living was so good in the UK, beautiful house in a beautiful part of England why you decided to make the move to Australia?

Not wishing to answer for them but I believe that no matter where you live and what your situation is you will always strive to improve your situation. Whether it be changing jobs, schools, location, etc

Adelaide isn't perfect. No place is. People move here, as they do to other places in the world, and the motive is always to improve something.

Pete

Guest graandjac

I like Gra, truly I do, but Messiah is a bit steep! A minor deity I grant you, possibly, but in fairness, he isn't the only one who has ever said this. For me, the first person who started saying this was sarahsmartiepants so if anyone is a deity, it is her. :notworthy::notworthy:

And she does great hair, till Gra can do that, sorry, he isn't number one!!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

and there was me forever worried that i upset too many people, Jac's always saying ....."you cant say that"......my spats with Mr Bro, I still believe that in a way its good to have rose tinted specs as this gets you through the trauma of the move and goodbyes, but you still need your feet on the ground.

I do get miffed when people knock things here when all it is was bad preperation that got them in the situation in the first place...!, seeing as WE LOVE IT HERE. I look at it as a criticism on our home, and after a road trip to Melbourne this weekend( thanks heaps good for the company)...........5 lane toll roads into the city, and traffic jams everywhere........it was great to return to sleepy old Adelaide. .......Thanks

We like thousands of other people wanted to move to Adelaide for a better family lifestyle. In terms of quality family time.

However, with that lifestyle comes houses, gardens, transport and work.

But as we can not find what we want in Adelaide there are always different areas of Australia we will look at.

We would never consider living in London. But for millions of people London forefills there needs.

Different folk, different places nothing is wrong with that.

Better to have tried, than not to have tried at all.

We wish everyone in Adelaide and the people who are planning to move there a happy forefilled life.

Lyn

Guest grantanddebs

hi all. just thought i would say my 10cents worth too.

i moved from scotland to new zealand in 2004, then from new zealand to canada in july 08.

now were moving to adelaide after only 3 months in canada!

if theres one thing that i have realised about being happy somewhere, the job has a lot to do with it.

i think i kidded myself into thinking i could come to canada and even though the job was a major step down from what i was in new zealand, i could still be happy, WRONG.

personally, i think if you are happy in your work, then it goes a long long way to help you settle in a foreign land.

and my god, yes we only were here for 3 months! but, hey, i looked at all the options, sussed out other jobs, even had other interviews, but it just would not have worked. it may seem a rash decision, but 1 or 2 years of misery is not worth it if you can get out while you still have your sanity and try somewhere else!

when i moved to NZ in 2004 i missed my friends and family a lot, but i resisted a trip home to scotland. seen so many people head back home purely because they miss simple stuff like watching the footy down the pub with the lads etc.

everyone is different, and if you do decide its not the place for you, you go home, and maybe even end upcoming back......it doesnt matter. it a learning process no matter of your age or situation and in the end we end up happier even if it takes lots of saving, spending and moving around!!

ok, thats my piece.

Grant :SLEEP::err: