Guest brandyslad

Welders>>>

Guest brandyslad

Sorry posted this in the wrong part of the forum, think it should be in here ...

Hi can anyone advise if there any many welder jobs out in Adelaide? See a few people have posted and wondering how anyone has got on. Hoping to head over from Ireland on a 475 and my OH is a welder.

Guest Rachael

Hi,

My husband is a welder, he was working as a foreman of a stainless steel factory in England, they produced exhaust systems for boats.

We arrived 3 months ago and he's had 2 jobs since then. There are jobs advertised in the paper each week it just depends on your circumstances. James was looking for something not too far north of the city and paying around $25 an hour and I think this is why it took him a little longer to find something. Most factories seem to be north of the city and some only pay around $22 an hour.

His first job was in Lonsdale, they did lots of odd jobs, welding all sorts of things. This was okay but not really what James was looking for as it felt like a bit of a step back from his job in the UK. He got the job by sending off his CV to lots of different companies, one of them called back and offered an interview.

He is now working in Kilkenny as a factory foreman, similar to what he was doing before we left. They manufacture metal cabinets (lockers/filing cabinets ect). He's on good money and although it is slightly north of the city it doesn't take too long to get there and back each day.

As mentioned, there are quite a lot of jobs, it just depends on what you are looking for. Quite a lot of agencies will offer casual work but they will want you to sign up with them and for us this seemed like a bit of a waste of time as it wasn't constant work and a lot of form filling.

Hope this helps, if you need any more info, just ask.

Rachael. :)

Guest brandyslad

Thanks for this. Yes this was one of E's concerns as he has been welding for years and now more or less gets the stuff sorted for welding or shows the other welders what to do and he is worrying he will be back to basics again after working his way up. We are headin over under my job though as communuity worker as he does not want to tell his employer so far in advance he is going. they would take him of his price work probably, down to a basic wage. But I have no qualms getting refs etc and applying for the 475 myself my employer is grand and I am contracted anyway.

What area are you living in? Does he find the working conditions ok? Did he have to do any exams when he came over or was that all covered by TRA?

Guest Rachael

I would say he should be able to find something similar over here but it might not be straight away. James did have to take a bit of a step back to start with but was lucky with the job he has now. We are living south of the city now in Chandlers Hill, it takes him about 35 minutes to get to work and about 45 minutes to get back in the evening. It's not a bad drive though as it's mainly along one main road and the traffic flows quite well. It's just the distance that takes the time.

Working conditions are better in this factory, his factory in the UK was spotlessly clean which is what he liked. The first factory was a bit of a mess and he went for an interview at another place that was similar. They were welding on wooden benches - not something he had even seen before.

He works 7.30-4.00 each day and can do a bit of over time in the afternoon. There's a 10 minutes tea break in the morning and half an hour for lunch at 12pm. He didn't get a tea break in his first job. He's contracted now which means he gets sick pay and 4 weeks holiday. All companies here pay into a pension scheme at 9% salary. He gets paid weekly, every Thursday.

He didn't have to do any other tests etc and didn't even do a weld test when he went for the interviews either. He had all his certificates to show when he went for interview and had is CV ready when we arrived to start sending to people.

Hope this helps.

R

Guest brandyslad

Yes I can just imagine what some of the workshops would be like. There are some right kips round here too. But as I said to him you have to keep plugging away and you will get something good. He has all his certs in a folder from school and the tech which will come in handy. I am just waiting on mine, going to ring the univeristy today and get them to email me a copy of the forms to get my certs and marks back. I have never had to show them before and haven't a clue where they are now. I was looking for jobs that I could apply for and was pleasantly suprised with the pay too. We don't have any kids yet but I wouldn' mind starting a family quite soon but suppose that would all depend on how well we settle in.

Is Henley Beach nice? Was looking at it on the internet, looks class.

Is the cost of groceries more or less the same??

Also when we looked on the internet cars seemed dearer, is that really the case or are they cheaper to but direct from dealers etc? We would be just going second hand, nothing fancy!

Sorry for all the questions!!

Guest brandyslad

Defintely gonna get ourselves in gear with the visa now. OH just got word there will be redundancies in his work. He doesn't think it will affect him directly just yet, but not looking good! As I said to him if we rent the house out and it more or less covers the mortgage we could survive over there on less, we hope ...

Guest Capt Emz I Think

Hi to you all - similar sort of query. My OH is a welder/pipefitter, however he has been on the job since he left school and doesnt have any certificates or recent welding tickets (he's been self employed with his son for over 12 months - they have a plumbing business - but it is my OH son who has the plumbing skills not him)- will this proove a difficulty in him getting a job!!!

Please let me know

Thanks

Emma

Guest Rachael
    Yes I can just imagine what some of the workshops would be like. There are some right kips round here too. But as I said to him you have to keep plugging away and you will get something good. He has all his certs in a folder from school and the tech which will come in handy. I am just waiting on mine, going to ring the univeristy today and get them to email me a copy of the forms to get my certs and marks back. I have never had to show them before and haven't a clue where they are now. I was looking for jobs that I could apply for and was pleasantly suprised with the pay too. We don't have any kids yet but I wouldn' mind starting a family quite soon but suppose that would all depend on how well we settle in.

We started one before we came out! Found out I was pregnant the day of my works leaving party. So have done quite a lot to get to this point. Nearly all ready for the baby now. Due in 4 weeks!

Is Henley Beach nice? Was looking at it on the internet, looks class.

Not too sure about Henley Beach. It seems a nice place but haven't travelled much north of the city. Not sure on house prices there but am sure some other people on here will be able to help you.

Is the cost of groceries more or less the same??

Cost of groceries works out about the same. Meat is cheaper but some packet food e.g. tins and cereal is more expensive. Our shopping avergae around 90 pounds in the Uk and costs us around $120 at the moment. We're still stocking up the cupboards with things e.g. cleaning stuff, store cupboard essentials etc. So after that it might be a little cheaper.

Also when we looked on the internet cars seemed dearer, is that really the case or are they cheaper to but direct from dealers etc? We would be just going second hand, nothing fancy!

new cars are around the same price but second hand cars really hold their value here. My mum and dad just bought a new suzuki swift and they were told it was probably worth more AFTER they drove it out of the showroom, not the other way around. We bought a 2006 Astra for $21,000 (around 10,000 pounds) and a 1998 Astra for $8000 (4000 pounds). We saw a 1993 Barina (Corsa) for $2800 (1400 pounds) the other day.

Sorry for all the questions!!

Don't worry about the questions, if it helps then I'm glad to be able to answer them. We were in exactly the same position so glad to be able to help.

R:cute:

Guest Rachael
    Hi to you all - similar sort of query. My OH is a welder/pipefitter, however he has been on the job since he left school and doesnt have any certificates or recent welding tickets (he's been self employed with his son for over 12 months - they have a plumbing business - but it is my OH son who has the plumbing skills not him)- will this proove a difficulty in him getting a job!!!

Please let me know

Thanks

Emma

I don't think a lack of certificates would stop him from getting a welding job here if that's what he wants to do. Although James took his certificates to interviews, they weren't that fussed on seeing them. But if he's not been working as a welder his CV would not show much experience in the field. It is quite difficult to get your foot in the door here and that applies to any job. Some Aussies would rather employ an aussie because they are more likely to know what they are doing here.

They will want to see he has experience of welding I would have thought.

Also, if you are using his trade to get your visa you will need certificates as proof for the TRA application.

R

Guest Capt Emz I Think
    I don't think a lack of certificates would stop him from getting a welding job here if that's what he wants to do. Although James took his certificates to interviews, they weren't that fussed on seeing them. But if he's not been working as a welder his CV would not show much experience in the field. It is quite difficult to get your foot in the door here and that applies to any job. Some Aussies would rather employ an aussie because they are more likely to know what they are doing here.

They will want to see he has experience of welding I would have thought.

Also, if you are using his trade to get your visa you will need certificates as proof for the TRA application.

R

Hi Rachael, Martin has been a welder/pipefitter for about 20 odd years but for the last year he has had his own plumbing business - he will have references for it. No we are going off my skills to get our visa - i'm a teacher. It is frightening when you are prepared to give up a good job because something in your head makes you want to try something different, because leading the life that I am currently leadin fills me with dread, not just the job, the life, the place so on - if you know what I mean!!!:huh:

Hi,

My husband is a welder, he was working as a foreman of a stainless steel factory in England, they produced exhaust systems for boats.

We arrived 3 months ago and he's had 2 jobs since then. There are jobs advertised in the paper each week it just depends on your circumstances. James was looking for something not too far north of the city and paying around $25 an hour and I think this is why it took him a little longer to find something. Most factories seem to be north of the city and some only pay around $22 an hour.

His first job was in Lonsdale, they did lots of odd jobs, welding all sorts of things. This was okay but not really what James was looking for as it felt like a bit of a step back from his job in the UK. He got the job by sending off his CV to lots of different companies, one of them called back and offered an interview.

He is now working in Kilkenny as a factory foreman, similar to what he was doing before we left. They manufacture metal cabinets (lockers/filing cabinets ect). He's on good money and although it is slightly north of the city it doesn't take too long to get there and back each day.

As mentioned, there are quite a lot of jobs, it just depends on what you are looking for. Quite a lot of agencies will offer casual work but they will want you to sign up with them and for us this seemed like a bit of a waste of time as it wasn't constant work and a lot of form filling.

Hope this helps, if you need any more info, just ask.

Rachael. :)

Hi Rachael

My hubby is a plasterer but I am struggling to find any job agencies who deal with trades, did you use any of these or just apply straight to companies?

I see jobs in the Adelaide Advertiser online, is this the best way to do this??

Can't seem to get anywhere with agencies

Denise

Guest brandyslad
    Hi Rachael, Martin has been a welder/pipefitter for about 20 odd years but for the last year he has had his own plumbing business - he will have references for it. No we are going off my skills to get our visa - i'm a teacher. It is frightening when you are prepared to give up a good job because something in your head makes you want to try something different, because leading the life that I am currently leadin fills me with dread, not just the job, the life, the place so on - if you know what I mean!!!:huh:

Hi there,

Just want to say good luck with your application, we are just starting out too and it is hard to get your head round it. Sorry can't help you with details, my OH had some great teachers at school and tech who filled his Record of Achievement for him (it certainly wasn't of his own doing!!!) so he has his certs to show when he gets there for welding. We are not going on his profession though we are going on mine as it would be a nightmare for him to get refs etc from his employers. They would be real t**** about it to put it mildly, taking it personally him leaving etc .... Plus it is Adelaide I want to go to anyway so I am happy enough to apply and I have said to my boss, she is grand about it.

Guest Capt Emz I Think
    Hi there,

Just want to say good luck with your application, we are just starting out too and it is hard to get your head round it. Sorry can't help you with details, my OH had some great teachers at school and tech who filled his Record of Achievement for him (it certainly wasn't of his own doing!!!) so he has his certs to show when he gets there for welding. We are not going on his profession though we are going on mine as it would be a nightmare for him to get refs etc from his employers. They would be real t**** about it to put it mildly, taking it personally him leaving etc .... Plus it is Adelaide I want to go to anyway so I am happy enough to apply and I have said to my boss, she is grand about it.

Hi Brandylad - just want to ask - have you got a job secured in Oz yet!!??

Guest Capt Emz I Think
    Hi there,

Just want to say that we didnt have the fortune of having records of achievement in the 80's, you were left to your own devices - no help with anything as I remember - I didnt even know what A levels were when I was at school lol :goofy:. Yeh some people at my work know that I am planning on moving (if it works out) - its such a big place where I work and the subject that I teach - IT - well the numbers have dropped considerably - so they would probably love to get rid of me!!!!!!:nah:

Guest brandyslad
    Just want to say that we didnt have the fortune of having records of achievement in the 80's, you were left to your own devices - no help with anything as I remember - I didnt even know what A levels were when I was at school lol :goofy:. Yeh some people at my work know that I am planning on moving (if it works out) - its such a big place where I work and the subject that I teach - IT - well the numbers have dropped considerably - so they would probably love to get rid of me!!!!!!:nah:

No jobs secured for either of us yet, we are hoping to go on the 475 and get work out there. We are only starting so too soon to start contacting employers etc yet.

As for the record of achievment, I was gobsmacked he had his. I haven't a clue where mine is!! LOL

Guest Rachael
    Hi Rachael

My hubby is a plasterer but I am struggling to find any job agencies who deal with trades, did you use any of these or just apply straight to companies?

I see jobs in the Adelaide Advertiser online, is this the best way to do this??

Can't seem to get anywhere with agencies

Denise

Hi Denise

You could try Select they have a trades branch on South road near Morphett Vale I think. Or Centre link will be able to help you with ones that will suit. They are a bit of a waste of time really. We didn't have any luck with any of the ones we used. The Advertiser is the best way to find a job but you need to look all through as the jobs are in alphabetical order rather than in sections. James saw jobs advertised under: sheet metal worker, welder, boilermaker, supervisor, foreman.

Hope this helps.

R

Guest Rachael

We both gave up very good jobs on very good money but when we started to think about having a family we realised that this wasn't important any more. I wanted to be able to stay at home with my kids like my mum did with me and we would have struggled to do this in the UK. I was working 8am-8pm every day and you just can't do that with kids. I didn't want to teach part time as that is difficult and not very enjoyable.

Also, England is not the sort of place I wanted to bring up my children in. It isn't how it was 20 years ago when I was growing up and although Oz isn't either it's closer to it.

I just didn't want to spend another day waking up to find some other poor teenager had been stabbed to death, killed for now aparent reason because I knew one day I'd be worrying it could be one of mine.

Hi Denise

You could try Select they have a trades branch on South road near Morphett Vale I think. Or Centre link will be able to help you with ones that will suit. They are a bit of a waste of time really. We didn't have any luck with any of the ones we used. The Advertiser is the best way to find a job but you need to look all through as the jobs are in alphabetical order rather than in sections. James saw jobs advertised under: sheet metal worker, welder, boilermaker, supervisor, foreman.

Hope this helps.

R

Thanks Rachael thats a great help