Guest donna T

3 months in...

Guest donna T

Finally got the internet connected and the first thing I had to do was this post - how exciting - never actually thought I would be doing one rather than reading them from the UK.

Wea rrived 6th march after a stopover in Singapore to be taken to our OAA in Novar Gardens. Within 20 mins, I had seen a huge Huntsman on the kitchen door (which was dispatched very quickly! and I haven't seen another one since!)

The OAA was depressing, neglected and made me cry BUT after a week or 2, it felt much better, we had found our feet a little, Joshua had made a couple of freinds with the local kids, the weather was fab (washing dry in hours) and we felt like maybe it wasn't the wrong move after all.

We spent our weekends going from one open to another, dragging two small children around from suburb to suburb avoiding all of the areas that we knew to have a large UK popluation (no offence guys, but we didn't come 12.000 miles to live on your doorstep!!!) - however, we decided to take a look eventually at those areas and realised why they were so popular - they were quite lovely!

So after seeing 9 houses in one day, we offered on a house in Hallett Cove and moved in 4 weeks ago.

Nothing quite works out how you expect it to.

After 3 months, we feel quite settled strangely, it feels a bit like home.

Joshua (who I was worried about) now has friends at school, takes swimming and gym lessons and has even looked at joining in the footy. This from a boy who wouldn't get his hair wet(now swins under water with goggles) and has never joined in anything - we are so pleased.

I miss family and friends very much and have felt very lonely at times, but when you walk the kids to school and have to cross a small stream, see parrotts in the trees and can drive to a beach in minutes after school , it is all worth it. (so far)

Many things are just like 'home' and some are so different it surprises you, but at the end of the day - this will be home we think, and are looking forward to barbie season so we can meet more people and enjoy this country to its fullest.

Donna

x

Hi Donna

So pleased all is going well for you & the little uns:D

BTW its lovely to hear from you

Take care

Angela

Guest graandjac

:DGlad to see things working and that you have settled, in a funny way its better to see that things dont always work as planned it keeps your and our feet on the ground and to remind all us wanabees to be open minded and very flexable thanks for the post.

Guest Bex & Nick

Hi Donna

Sounds v positive yet realistic. Hope all continues to go well for you!

Bex

Guest happy-jools

Hi Donna wondered where you had gone. I was the last one to reply to your post "last one till the other side", and kept checking to see if you had posted.

Great to know you guys are finally there and settling.

Good post. Keep us updated.

:D

Guest The Bowmans

Hi Donna,

Many thanks for the post - it was positive yet full of the reality of the move. Am really glad that you are settling so well. Good luck for the coming months in your new home.

Deena:)

Guest deb and stoo

Hi Donna

Thank you for that wonderful post,it seemed to bring the whole thing to life and seeing what a struggle you've had yet still come out the other side happy and smiling is truly inspiring.

The OAA has been on our minds a lot recently and the thought of moving into a 'oh my god' house has worried us slightly but from what you've said it doesnt last long and if you can survive that you can probably survive anything :),also Hallett Cove and East seems to be very popular with us Brits so should'nt be too hard to have a real big PIA barbie once we're all there.

Best of luck and hope to see you soon.

:)

Stoo Deb & Boyz

PS: Were the parrots on fire ?

Guest steph&neil

hi what a nice post - reminds us why we are doing all the paperwork! Hallett cove is where we would like to rent; my employers assured me it was a really nice place fir families.......always nice to have it backed us!

very jealous of you at the moments as is it feels like a lifetime away for us (only a couple of months, but wish it was NOW!)

take care & keep us updated!

steph x ;)

Guest hayls

HI DONNA,

GREAT POST, I REALLY LIKE READING THESE UPDATES.

IT WAS REALLY NICE TO MEET YOU AND PUT A FACE TO THE NAME , I ENJOYED THE COFFEE MORNING [THANKS SANDRA] IT WAS NICE TO TALK TO PEOPLE THAT ARE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT, AND EVERY BODY SEEMS TO LOVE THERE NEW LIFE, WHICH IS GREAT.

BYE FOR NOW HAYLS

Guest donna T
    HI DONNA,

GREAT POST, I REALLY LIKE READING THESE UPDATES.

IT WAS REALLY NICE TO MEET YOU AND PUT A FACE TO THE NAME , I ENJOYED THE COFFEE MORNING [THANKS SANDRA] IT WAS NICE TO TALK TO PEOPLE THAT ARE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT, AND EVERY BODY SEEMS TO LOVE THERE NEW LIFE, WHICH IS GREAT.

BYE FOR NOW HAYLS

[/quote

hi Halyls - was really good to meet you to - bizare to put faces to cyber names!

I'll arrange a coffee morning soon and post an open invite on here - maybe 2-3 weeks time. How did the interview go?

Donna

Guest Libby1971

Helloo

We live just across Lonsdale Road from you in Sheidow Park! We did like Hallett Cove but it was a case of when a house comes up you just go for it to get the h*ll out of OAA if you know what I mean?!

We have 2 daughters, one aged 14 (as of Saturday) and one aged 10. Bob adn I are teachers when we are working!

PM me if you would like to get in touch

Libby

Guest hayls

Hi Libby,

I Know What You Mean About Oaa, Did You Have Bed Bugs We Had Bloody Loads Of The Buggers, Woke Up To Find One One My Face One Night, And No They Are Not As Small As I Thought They Were, So Yeh We Were In A Bit Of A Rush To Say The Least,

Im In Mount Barker We Bought Our House So No Going Back For Me Not Without A Bit Of Hassle Any Way, How About You Are You Enjoying Your New Life.

Bye For Now

Hayls

Guest Libby1971

Hi

No we didn't have bed bugs although that sounds horrific.

We did have a cockroach come under the door one Sunday morning which was the final push I needed. We were in the ground floor flat of a block of flats and it was the alcoholics that annoyed me.

Just in case I sound ungrateful trust me I am pleased that we had a bed to come to but that could have been accomplished with a hotel or campsite.

We are still looking at property. Is Mount Barker on the east of Adelaide - I know I have seen it on the map? I have sent a pm with my contact details - give me a ring if you fancy a chat...

Love to all Libby

Guest bev_stef

Hi Donna

Great to hear you have finally settled into a new home and are happy. It is great to hear that the kids have setled well and are enjoying themselves. I think we always worry about the kids settling more then ourselves, so i'm glad.:)

Keep posting, its good to hear positive news from the other side, and that people are doing well.

takecare and keep enjoying.

Bev

Guest bev_stef

Hi Donna

Great to hear you have finally settled into a new home and are happy. It is great to hear that the kids have setled well and are enjoying themselves. I think we always worry about the kids settling more then ourselves, so i'm glad.:)

Keep posting, its good to hear positive news from the other side, and that people are doing well.

takecare and keep enjoying.

Bev

Hi, I have just noticed your post and see that you’re living in Mount Barker, this is an area we are very interested in moving to. Can you let me know what it’s like, as in are there a good selection of restaurants, cinema and general things to do? Does it have a commercial district? I have a 14 month old son and also wondered about the nursery situation as I have heard that there are sometimes long wait lists. Finally how long does it take to get to the CBD and is it a pleasant enough drive or a journey you wouldn't recommend as a commute, oh sorry also is there a rail link ?? Many thanks Michelle

Mount Barker is about 40 minutes from the CBD, along an easy motorway which drops down a very long steep hill into the outskirts of the city.

I have visited Mt Barker a number of times, and would say that it is a small town, without any major commercial areas. It does have a Cinema, Golf Course, and numerous cafe's and supermarkets in the centre of town.

The good thing about it is the big new estate, being built just outside the town, not an estate in English terms, but very large blocks (plots) and up and down hillsides meaning you often have very good views from the houses. Also property is a bit cheaper, being a bit further from the city.

One down side is that you have to travel a bit further to get to the beach, probably about 40minutes again, although I think there is a municipal pool in the Town, and another being the fact that Tyke can often be found drinking coffee in one of the coffee houses.