Feeling a bit lost in Adelaide

Guest ange

Guest Libby1971

Public transport here is not what I was hoping for and compared to the UK is pretty shocking in terms of the areas covered. That being said it is bang on time, all the time, and cheap compared to UK prices.

With regards to areas, it very much depends on where you want to be and why...

We wanted a house in an area that was not too busy for our children, where it was quiet enough for us to have a sense of space and peace and yet served well enough so that we did not need to go into the city for everything. We are not big restaurant people adn shows are good but not every weekend, month etc so we couldn't see the point of being close to one all the time. We don't drink much so being near bars etc was not important. We like to have a paddle from time to time so nearish a beach would be good. In the UK it was 2 hours so anything under that was progress.

We also were not prepared to get into serious debt over a piece of rock. So although we knew we would need a mortgage, we wanted it to be as low as possible. We were to some extent motivated by which schools we could get our children into, but as I am a bolshy cow, I was pretty confident I would be able to get the kids into somewhere that we and they were happy with, state or private, somewhere would have taken them!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh: And then finally, work, we wanted to be somewhere that was close-ish to the city to open up as many opportunities as possible for ourselves. In rush hour, it takes me 35 mins to get to work. Using the expressway or south road, I can get to Norwood from Reynella East/ Happy Valley, I can get there in just over half an hour. Now admittedly, this is not late rush hour. My job starts at 8.10 every day and I like a cuppa before hand and to get sorted. But it works for me. If I can live where I want, and my children have the life I wanted for them, and I like my job, well getting up a bit earlier than I would have liked is a small price to pay.

These were my reasons for choosing where we did. Consider what you want for your life and look at the suburbs accordingly.

Good luck and enjoy your reccie!!!

Guest Cadenzrime

Hi there, we live in Gulf View Heights which is to the East of Bridge road. There is a really great school near here that some parents are even taking their kids out of what we know as private to schools to attend. Its called Keithcott Primary and for a five year old it is idea with great reputation but there are alot of good schools aroundl. The area is good as well but as far as getting a house is concerned just stay away from Elizabeth and the west of Salisbury and Brahma lodge, these are rough to a certain extent. (Schools are the worst in Adelaide in Elizabeth according to the papers.). Recommend you look around the places someone mentioned here also esp Gulf view Heights Golden Grove and Teatree,

If your husband fancies a beer go and visit the English pub in Teatree on the North East Road. Fox and Firkin. Have a look at the outdoor water park (not sure if open yet) and visit Tea tree Shopping centre/The Grove Village and Elizabeth shopping centres.

Dont go south if you intend to work in Salisbury. The drive will do your head in eventually you could try semaphore to the west now the roads are improved that way its a nice coastal place. Best wishes.

Guest lastboyscout

Its nice to see the north-south divide is alive and kicking :biglaugh:

We live in Redwood Park and absolutely love it, we didn`t have the area on `the list` of places to look , but I`m sooooooo glad we did take a gander :jiggy:

And as part of my job I travel all over Adelaide and surrounding districts and can definitely say we made a good choice, there are nice parts everywhere, and you will find some place that will tick all boxes :P

And we`ve been to south areas too, lovely beaches, but the areas are no better than the northern areas, I`d add that there is more grafitti down there and `shoddy` areas:err:

Thats what the missus reckons anyway, I`m impartial lol

Guest salisbury massive

Salisbury is made from various different suburbs. The actual "City of Salisbury" is quite large and covers quite a few suburbs inc Salisbury. So Salisbury has Salisbury Plains, Downs, Park, South, East and Heights. Then the immediate suburbs are Brahma Lodge, Gulfview Heights, Parafield Gardens & Paralowie. The Council website is a good place to start http://cweb.salisbury.sa.gov.au/mani...=1&stypen=html

This is on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salisbury,_South_Australia

Personally I wouldn't live in any part of Salisbury except Salisbury East and Salisbury Heights which is where I live. To get to the city there are good public transport links, there is an interchange in Salisbury centre and there is a train link direct to the City centre, you can also get the bus but obviously it goes all around the houses and would take a while. The train takes about 25 minutes to get to the City. It takes about 40 minutes to drive to the City and also to the nearest beach at Semaphore. Parabanks the shopping centre is very good, its just like a large english shopping centre with all your immediate needs. Elizabeth and Munno Para are about 15 minutes north by car and cater for furniture shopping, TV's etc. There is also a nice centre at Golden Grove which isn't far away. If you want schools I can't say that the schools locally are very good. Salisbury Heights Primary is nice but then you have to go on to Salisbury East High which isn't very nice at all. Do not confuse this school with Salisbury High which is an excellent school with waiting lists for out of catchement. Have a look on the Department of Education website. http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/

Here is the website for Salisbury High http://www.salisburyhigh.sa.edu.au/ the primary schools are a bit rough but here is the site for Salisbury Heights Primary http://www.shsr7.sa.edu.au/ If you can give me more information if you want schools I can tell you where to look. When you go on the DECS site, click on schools/preschool on the right and then the little red Adelaide spot, then click on Salisbury for all the schools. when you are on the DECS site check out Keithcott Farm Primary and Gulfview Heights Primary also, they are great local schools.

Living in Adelaide is different to the UK, most suburbs all have a large shopping centre that cater for your immediate needs, supermarkets etc. You don't travel to the City just to get groceries, you can do that at the nearest centre and there are clothes shops etc. There are no big supermarkets just by themselves like an out of town tesco. You just go to your nearest centre.

Jo