Guest Tina

Rspca

Guest Tina

just a word of warning if anyone has cats and needs to put them into a cattery, avoid the rspca at lonsdale. My two cats stayed there Friday - Wednesday last week and now have cat flu. i rang the RSPCA to complain but they were'nt very helpful.i am sure they do a good job rescuing and helping animals in general but they also need to consider the business that brings them in money too. My cats have stayed in numerous cattery's in there life and have never had a problem. Now my two cats could die because of there neglect.

the vets i have taken them to told me it is quite common for cats to come out of that cattery with flu, i wished i had this knowledge a week ago, they would have been better staying home alone in the house.

Guest katsmajic

sorry to hear that, but - were your cats vaccinated - i wasnt aware cats could get cat flu if vaccinated - or even allowed to be boarded if not vaccinated???

just a word of warning if anyone has cats and needs to put them into a cattery, avoid the rspca at lonsdale. My two cats stayed there Friday - Wednesday last week and now have cat flu. i rang the RSPCA to complain but they were'nt very helpful.i am sure they do a good job rescuing and helping animals in general but they also need to consider the business that brings them in money too. My cats have stayed in numerous cattery's in there life and have never had a problem. Now my two cats could die because of there neglect.

the vets i have taken them to told me it is quite common for cats to come out of that cattery with flu, i wished i had this knowledge a week ago, they would have been better staying home alone in the house.

Hi Tina

So sorry to hear about your two cats. Same thing happened to our two over here in NZ last year. They have both been vaccinated all their lives and never had cat flu but picked it up in a cattery here. The owner didnt tell us that she had quarantined a cat with it otherwise we wouldnt have left them. They were both 15 at the time and our male cat was really poorly with it. Just like having a cold, he couldnt breath and was off his food. We were told by the vet to put a steamy bowl of water to help him breath and I put a little bit of tiger balm on his blanket to help. She also said try and give them stronger smelling food and also yeast flakes or vegimite mixed in which they can taste. Unfortunately, once they have it they can always get mild attacks of it again when under stress. They both recovered although he does get asthma now. Im sure yours will be fine just keep them warm and quiet with plenty of water - vet has probably told you all that anyway. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks to clear up. Wishing them both a speedy recovery.

regards

Mariane and Cliff