Guest hrubieszowianka

Speech therapy

Guest hrubieszowianka

After questions about GPs, dentists etc, I thought I'd ask who pays for speech therapy for the kids - my DD seems to have a bit of a lisp. She says everything fine, except for "S". I had a brief conversation with a speech therapist in the school, she said to wait till she is 7, by then it usually corrects itself, and if not, it is easly fixed. Well, we won't be in UK by the time my DD is 7. How is it treated in Oz and for how much? Has anybody got any experience in a similar matter?

If your child is in a state school you can ask for a speech therapist to assess your child, but the wait can be very long unless severe,by which time yourchild would probably have grown out of the lisp.

Or you can pay to go privately, if you have private health insurance extras, this willprobably cover part.

Hi

My 4 year olds Kindi teacher told me about 3 months ago that I should see a speach therapist for her as she had a bit of a stutter. She told me that this could not be done through the school and that I would have to go private which she said could be quite expensive.. We decided that we would wait and see if she outgrows the stuttering which thankfully she seems to be doing.

Wendy

Hi There,

My two girls both have small speech probs, Phoebe is 4 and at 2 week in kindy, the teacher suggested that we could perhaps address it, the next week she saw a speech therapist. This was through the school and completly free, she id the problem and gave me some homework to work on with her.

The school also suggested for Jazmine aged 3 to see a speech therapist, we phoned up a therapist in Port Adelaide and was seen 1 month later and again lots more advise on how to solve the prob.

Ive found anything to do with children, they are soooo quick to resolve problems to save big troubles later.

Hope this helps

Laura xx