A debate... Tiles or Tin roof???

Guest Alipally

Tiles or a tin roof?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Tiles or a tin roof?

Guest Alipally

Thought, I'd add here that Colourbond is more expensive at the moment because the price of steel has risen exponentially over the last year..... Before that, I'm told, that tiles were more expensive!

Guest Rob and Clare
Thought, I'd add here that Colourbond is more expensive at the moment because the price of steel has risen exponentially over the last year..... Before that, I'm told, that tiles were more expensive!

You could be right at the moment, i know 3 years ago when we did our choices colourbond and tiles were the standard choice, the upgrade were special tiles where the colour isn't just on the surface but all the way through the tile.

But steel has dropped like a bomb in the last month, it's trading at a 2 year low so it could be a standard option again soon.

Guest guest569

But steel has dropped like a bomb in the last month, it's trading at a 2 year low so it could be a standard option again soon.

All scrap is at a low at the moment.:sad:

I weighed in some clean ally last week and its down from $1.70 to $1 per kilo.:arghh:

Guest Alipally

It'd be nice to think that the price will come down straight away, but the builders carried the increases for a good while before passing them on and this in turn will keep the price artificially high to recoup the losses they made previously..... Unless they move the prices weekly they'll always be a lag.

I'm thinking, but I'm not sure that tin roof is a bit more problematic if there's a big storm (anyone see the results of the Brisbane 'freak' storm yesterday?) if the wind gets underneath it.... the whole thing will probably come right off..... I'm thinking with tiles that you'll most likely lose a few but not the whole roof.

Does it ever get THAT windy in SA?

It'd be nice to think that the price will come down straight away, but the builders carried the increases for a good while before passing them on and this in turn will keep the price artificially high to recoup the losses they made previously..... Unless they move the prices weekly they'll always be a lag.

I'm thinking, but I'm not sure that tin roof is a bit more problematic if there's a big storm (anyone see the results of the Brisbane 'freak' storm yesterday?) if the wind gets underneath it.... the whole thing will probably come right off..... I'm thinking with tiles that you'll most likely lose a few but not the whole roof.

Does it ever get THAT windy in SA?

No.have seen it get to coming on gale force once................................but you do sometimes get some one off strong wind gusts!

Guest graandjac

:)Right as i see it from a roofers point of view (which iam), to start with i said i would NEVER have a tin roof. Then after looking into things and looking at how the tiling is done here ........i started to change.......roofs here have NO underlay , one tiles slips you then have a hole...!!, the dirt and dust that collects in a tiled roof with no felt is .....well loads, so to solve the problem i thought right i will get the roof fitted with underlay, the builders want $2,500 to do it .......:shocked:, this would take me on my own half a day to do and about $800.00 in underlay, But iam not allowed to do it even on my own roof. So being a stubbon git ( oh no your not i hear you say):P thinks stuff it iam not going to pay ......which leads us to tin.....were looking at a modern looking house and the more i look at some of the tin roofs......iam liking them more and more.

Guest guest569

to be honest you don't really notice wether a house has tiles or tin. I couldn't tell you what my neighbours have without going out to check.Your right about one thing graham ( and i'm not talking soccer ) My loft is full of dust and i'm not looking foreward to getting the xmas decs down next week.

Guest Alipally

Hmmm.....

These things are all food for thought, and you did mention the lack of underlay on a tiled roof in our original discussion around this.

I have had another thought.... I was driving around Adelaide today... (Hills, Unley, Black Forest and Glenelg...) How often will you have to paint this colourbond stuff.... is it permanent.

I'm only asking because I saw a few houses with the colour peeliing of the roof today.... and some of it looked pretty faded from the sun.:GEEK:

Guest graandjac
Hmmm.....

These things are all food for thought, and you did mention the lack of underlay on a tiled roof in our original discussion around this.

I have had another thought.... I was driving around Adelaide today... (Hills, Unley, Black Forest and Glenelg...) How often will you have to paint this colourbond stuff.... is it permanent.

I'm only asking because I saw a few houses with the colour peeliing of the roof today.... and some of it looked pretty faded from the sun.:GEEK:

The peeling colour is a roof that has already been painted or refurbished as they call it here, in the uk a new roof was a new roof here it gets jet sprayed and then spray painted to look new, it cheeper than a re-tile.

Guest melissa and darren

Well, i've read all the posts, and i'm none the wiser. We're having a house built and need to choose everything soon. But now i'm more confused than before!

I don't like the sound of no underlay, i lived in an old house South London when i was a kid, and used to get covered in dirt when sent up there to get the christmas deco's.

I must say that i like the look of the tin roof's though.

Darren.