Should I diet for my medical?

Guest vixpinkbabe

Guest vixpinkbabe

Hi,

I have my medical booked for January 2009 and wondering whether I should diet?

I'm 26 years old, 5 ft 6 and am almost 11 stone which on paper looks quite heavy. When in actual fact I work out 5 times a week and do weights, so my muscle makes me heavy. Not sure they make a note of this though on the form.

Is there a limit or guidelines on what weight they think is acceptable or is it not a big issue?

Thanks for your help,

Guest TC for short

I don't remember weight being much of an issue. I know of people shorter & heavier who've had no problem and don't think you'll have anything to worry about, particularly as you're obviously fit.

TC

Guest BAZnDAF

Don't worry about that, My wifes BMI is bigger than yours and was not an issue on the medical.

The only thing i would say is that you have to do a urine sample to check for sugar levels, and unfortunatly I had alpen for breakfast before the medical and also a number of cups of tea with sugar, so my sugar level was up only slightly, but that made the panel doctor request me to do a fasting blood test with my family doctor, which puts everything back several weeks whilst we wait for the NHS side of the tests to be completed.

I have had this before and the results after a fasting blood test have always been negative. I just have a sweet tooth i guess. :)

If your like me then my advice is just drink plenty of water and don't eat sugary foods at least 12 hours before your examination. that should help.

hope this helps

Barry

Guest guest569

As already said i think you will be ok. As long as your fit, Your heart rate is ok along with your blood and sugar levels you'll breeze it.

I was worried about the same thing when i had the interview with our agent. Six ft and 17 stone sounds bad on paper but i think its how you carry it aswell and how active you are.:embarrassed:

Hi. I am 5' 6 and when weighed at medical i was 12 st 4lb. I asked about my weight because my BMI is borderline obese, and was told although i could do with losing a good stone i was ok.