Guest SA Great

Adelaide or Brisbane??

Guest SA Great

I have just been having a nose on the Brits In Brisbane web site, Adelaide gets a right pasting on there!! Cold, boring, 20 years behind the times etc!!!! There seems to be quite a few people on there who moved to Adelaide and are now moving to Brissie. Is there anyone who moved to Brissie but has decided to come to Adelaide???

Miserable gits, they want to review Oldham where I live, then they really could moan! I like the thought of being 20years behind the times, less people to cause less trouble, more space, less crime, I could go on............

Guest SA Great
    Miserable gits, they want to review Oldham where I live, then they really could moan! I like the thought of being 20years behind the times, less people to cause less trouble, more space, less crime, I could go on............

lol yes i went through oldham about 4 months ago.....i see what you mean!!!

Guest HALT

Haven't lived in Brissie but my friend is there so have only had holidays there. pros and cons for both. It is hotter all year round, good for some bad for others. I think there are a lot more flies!!! My other half wants to move to Brissie but his job keeps him here at the moment. We were suppose to go there when we first moved out to Oz but my husband's company sent him to Adelaide instead. Difficult choice i think but they do have a point on the other forum it is bloody cold here in the winter and it is 20 years behind but i think that is Oz not just Adelaide.

:emoticon-signxmas:

A colleague (and friend), here at work, is a Queenslander but has lived/worked all over Australia both whilst in the army and as a civilian. He settled in Adelaide about 10 years ago and, at the time, admits Adelaide was way behind the times - shops closed after lunch on Saturday and the city was basically dead at the weekend.

10 years later? He wouldn't live anywhere else. He lives on a 60 acre plot, in the hills, in a house he built himself, but is still only a 15/20 minute drive from the city - try that in Brisbane!

It all depends what you want out of life really - Adelaide isn't as showy or flash as Brisbane and the pace of life is definitely slower but isn't that why we all moved here? Some of the comments on the B in B site are probably justified which is why they're over there...and we're not ;-)

i think the people are much nicer here in Adelaide. For a start, we wouldn't dream of giving poor old Brisvegas a "pasting" on here, even though a lot of us have chosen to live in SA rather than QLD, unlike those people who have done things the other way round.....!!!

Brisbane wouldn't suit me, but then everyone is different.... and I actually quite like the coldish winters - means we get some great Rieslings...

Guest Django

Can't see a problem. These people that 'slag' Adelaide off just don't want to admit they made a mistake.;) Who wants to live in a humid city where it rains a lot of the time? :biglaugh:

Pete

Guest melissa and darren

Please, please, please, will someone tell me what's wrong with being 20 years behind. I read this statement all the time on poms in Oz as well. I don't see any improvements that have made me happier in the last 20 years.

The last great invention in my eyes was the TV remote control, so as a kid i didn't have to keep getting up and turning it over for me mum.

And the shops don't really need to open until 11 pm do they?

And i like cold winters too, short ones hopefully.

Darren.

Guest Django
    Please, please, please, will someone tell me what's wrong with being 20 years behind.

This 20 years behind thing really makes me laugh. Its just phrase banded around because they want to slag the place off but can't find any real reason to. Don't let them get you down. Adelaide is a great place to live. Oh and if you walked down the shops you will see ipods for sale.:laughxmas:

Pete

20 years behind :noxmas:? sure its more laid back than other parts of Oz but thats suits me fine! Wish it was 20 yrs behind then id only be 20 next June and not 40!:tonguexmas:

adelaide is alittle behind the times but belive me you get used to it, we have been here 4 weeks now and we are loving it:yesxmas:

it is a shock when you get here but really it does grow on you, its not that bad! they sell everything over here that the do in the uk you dont have to go hunting for it or anything like that.

i just wanna say its great so far

suexxx

Guest melissa and darren

Oh and if you walked down the shops you will see ipods for sale.

Don't lie, i bet they've only just got Sony walkman casette players.:laughxmas:

Guest Cal

Start a poll on each forum relating to your initial question and see what responses you get. I guarantee that people will 'protect their own' and slate the other place. Keep a level head and take constructive criticism.

Brisbane may have the weather... but Adelaide has the beaches!

A simple 'Advantages & Disadvantages' chart like you used to use in school should help you on the way to deciding.

Good luck with whatever you decide.