Diane

"Adelaidians"

Just reading on another thread where Libby (I think) came up with this word and it made me smile. Reminded me of when I was chatting to another mum at the school who originated from NSW - now I know we are "South Australians" and there are "Victorians" in and around Melbourne, but I wondered what those who come from New South Wales were - you got it "New South Welshmen" - even if they're women! I guess Queenslanders is a pretty obvious one - but what about those from NT? and are those in Perth Western Australians or West Australians? Sydney dwellers are Sydneysiders, what about Melbourne? And is there such a thing as a Brisbanian? A Cairnian? A Perthian? A Hobarthian?

Guest Libby1971

Yes it's my word and I claim the copyright. All requests for publishing consent go through me or my agent (the dog in this case)!!!:laughxmas:

Good questions!!! It is a crying shame that it is the end of term now as I do my best thinking during assembly (see thread devoted to new lyrics about hair cuts with the Rescue me tune)

I think a Melbourne dweller is Melbournite. Probably utter tripe but it sounds quite exotic, don't you think? Hobart is a Hobartanian.

I am just making this cr*p up, can you tell?

LOL Typical teacher Libby - you can say these things with total conviction and I for one am convinced it is all totally factual! Although I have to say i thought people from Hobart might be Hobbits....

Thanks, Cribber, for the "Topender" one - although maybe you too are making that one up ..... sounds feasible anyway!

I wonder if a Brisbane dweller that eats no meat or dairy is a Brisvegan then?

Guest Libby1971

Hobbits? Brilliant idea. These words might exist, I just have no idea so I have checked on www.thefreedictionary.com and guess what? Adelaidian is a word!!!!!!!!!! Woo hoo, I know what I am talking about, I just can't spell properly as they have it as Adelaidean. Actually I can spell coz it looks better my way. Anyway, it is a work in progress for the others as I strive to look up the others.

Guest Libby1971

Adeladies :laughxmas::laughxmas:

Brilliant! I have just made a cuppa and was chuckling all around the kitchen:notworthy:

Guest Guest75

Talking of copyright.......I claim the word "Pozzie" .Mentioned by my own fair hands at this PC.

Short for a Pommie Ozzie........now mentioned in a lot of forums.............. You heard it here first folks :wisemanxmas:

And there are Darwinians as well

Guest 0405delboy
    and ... wait for it... Adelads

Hello to all,

Might have already been said but people from Adelaide are also known as croweaters!

0405delboy:embarrassed:

I truly don't want to rain on anyone's parade and I can only think there's something evil about me for even mentioning this but....(take a deep breathe LC)

Here goes... Adelaidean is a bit before Libby - used before 1840 (:GEEK:). TBH I'd heard it before so just looked in an Australian dictionary before posting. Am I bad?

I'll get my coat....

Yours scared of reprisals,:swoon:

LC

Guest Guest75
    I truly don't want to rain on anyone's parade and I can only think there's something evil about me for even mentioning this but....(take a deep breathe LC)

Here goes... Adelaidean is a bit before Libby - used before 1840 (:GEEK:). TBH I'd heard it before so just looked in an Australian dictionary before posting. Am I bad?

I'll get my coat....

Yours scared of reprisals,:swoon:

LC

You heard it used before 1840???

Even I didn't think you were that old!

You ar$e! :biglaugh:And to think you're one of my heroes...sorry, 'were'!

In fact I did hear it before 1840...it was nearer lunchtime....

:wubclub:LC

Hello to all,

Might have already been said but people from Adelaide are also known as croweaters!

0405delboy:embarrassed:

West (ern?) Australians are also known as Sandgropers

so are poms in Adelaide pomaladians?

Well, if another thread is anything to go by, we might be Sadelaideans!

Guest Guest75
    Oh you have made his day! Bill's ego is intact.

Awww - stop patting his ego!!!

:P

Guest cazzie
    Awww - stop patting his ego!!!

:P

Hello Tyke,

Hell, that will be hard! Bill is the best! I love Bill! Sorry, I just can't seem to help myself!

Hello Tyke,

Hell, that will be hard! Bill is the best! I love Bill! Sorry, I just can't seem to help myself!

Aaw, shucks!

:)

Guest Guest75
    Aaw, shucks!

:)

Stop it you two..............Must be something in the water here !

Was going to use the "mucky" emoticon but don't want to be offensive - just seeing two happy people in love ;)