Guest guest569

A dog is NOT for xmas !!!

Guest guest569

A good friend of mine went to a pet shop ( locally) and got a new puppy. Less than a week later the pup is seriously ill at the vets with Parvo disease !!! It turns out the mother would have had it and passed it onto the whole litter of pups.

$600 down at the pet shop and $700 SO FAR !!! at the vets my friend is not a happy chappy !!! The vets are now trying to find all the puppies as they will not survive the weekend.:noxmas:

Guest Nick11

That's disgusting. At least your mate has had the decency to get treatment for the poor little thing. I wonder how many will do the same.

My advice to anyone wanting a dog is to go down to the rspca, awl etc. Lots of lovely dogs there looking for a good home.

Guest guest569

the vets have been in touch with the pet shop and are now in the process of contacting 8 new dog owners .Sorry 8 temporary dog owners.:noxmas:

Guest tooeasy

that is terrible those poor puppies and new owners they will be gutted I remember how excited the kids were when we got our dog :noxmas:

Quite agree with Nick re getting pets from Animal Welfare League etc. My OH is a vet nurse and they recommend going to the charities. Animals up for re-homing there are likely to have had the medical checks done that some pet shops don't seem to bother doing.

Hope the parvo has been caught in time to help the pups.

Guest Kazzarazza

This is terrible. I hope the pet shop concerned will also refund all monies spent to the buyers too.

Guest Nick11
    Quite agree with Nick re getting pets from Animal Welfare League etc. My OH is a vet nurse and they recommend going to the charities. Animals up for re-homing there are likely to have had the medical checks done that some pet shops don't seem to bother doing.

Hope the parvo has been caught in time to help the pups.

In our experience mongies from animal shelters live longer and have a better ammunity to anything thats going.

Having said that - I can understand why people buy them from shops - they look soooooooooooo cute - it's took a lot of will power to resist getting another one.

Guest JasmineRox

:noxmas:soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad :noxmas:

That's just so sad.

A friend of ours bought her second puppy from a pet shop from a famous palindromic beach area*. She is a canny soul and took the dog to the vet recommended, and paid for, by the pet shop for his 36 (?not sure if it's 24/36 or what!) hour check up - you know the one to confirm that the dog is healthy so that you cannot get a refund on your new pet? Anyway the dog was ok. By the next day, he was not so so she took him back to the vet's, where he was put on a drip. The condition worsened and after a couple of trips to the vets, the vet finally told her that he was really too poorly for much to be done for him. The pet shop had picked up a fair few of the vet's bills, but had eventually stopped helping out. She had no alternative - because the poor animal was too poorly - but to let him die peacefully at the vet's hands.

It was traumatic for the whole family and my friend went back to the pet shop to ask for a refund. They originally offered a replacement animal, but then decided against even that, as they said the parvo (that they believed the puppy had had) could have been picked up from another dog/somewhere she'd been with him etc, and not necessarily the pet shop or the puppy's mother. Apparently the parvo virus can survive in organic material such as soil for a year and is not easily killed off.

I don't think all pet shops are bad - although even the really nice ones that take their puppies home at the weekend and for holidays source most (if not all) their dogs from interstate, which seems a lot of stress for such young animals to contend with. I would be interested however, to know whether this is the same pet shop as my friend used and whether the vet has to report incidences of suspected parvo from young puppies just out of the shop...

We have two dogs bought from pet shops who give us such joy and are so lovely natured (in many ways preferable to the kids!) so I would be a bit (!) hypocritical if I slated pet shops, but I certainly never thought the time would come where I would buy dogs from one.

I hope it all works out for your friend. It really is a horrible thing to happen.:sad:

LC

*Not sure how specific I could be...I don't want to land Tim in trouble!

EEK! Just realised you said the shop was local to you, so no connection there!

This is terrible!

There used to be a pet shop that sold sulphur crested cockatoos, galahs and eclectus parrots and they were forced to close because all his birds had the serious incurable disease that birds get. The thing is, he knew that his birds had this disease but continued to sell them. Subsequently he was shut down and good ridance to him.

Guest Alipally

Have to say that I would never buy a puppy from anywhere, other than directly from the breeder..... If you can't see where the dog came from, how could you know what you are buying?

It's banned in the UK for good reason IMHO.:frownxmas:

Temperament and health are directly related to the mother, the father and the environment in which she and the pups have been kept. Viewing in a perspex box in a shop cannot give you an idea of health of these poor animals.

Good advice is to buy from a breeder, make sure that you see the mother at least, the father as well if that can be arranged. Buy WITH pet insurance, (I have to say that I'm unsure about the availability of this, but all my pups were sold with 6 weeks pet insurance, which incidentally cost me NOTHING) and make sure that the puppy is AT LEAST 8 weeks old and have had their first lot of injections when you take it home, that way you make sure that you're doing all the right things.

Take into consideration that Rotties, Doberman's and black and tan dogs in general are more susceptable to parvo than most other breeds. Bleach is the only thing that kills the virus...

Guest Nick11

We have pet plan insurance - $320 a year for $8000 worth of cover.

To anyone out there considering a dog - please visit the animal welfare league in Wingfield first - cracking dogs and cats waiting for a good home.

Guest turners

Have to agree buying a dog from a pet shop is a no no we have just bought our dog from a breeder so we have history on the dog especially as we have kids you can't be too carefull