Guest Tracyb

New Member Introduction!

Guest Tracyb

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would introduce myself and my family. I am Tracy (38) student, hubby John (43) Sales Manager, Josh (13) and Conor (9). We are due to arrive in Adelaide around 20th February 2008, although we have still not received visa! (Although CO says it is imminent). We will be coming on a Student 573 visa as I have won a scholarship to do a Masters In Teaching Early Childhood. My course starts on March 2nd but we have still not sold house, therefore I will arriving alone initially with John and boys following when a buyer or tenant is found (which is very scary!!).

I will be looking for somewhere temporary to live preferably in a shared house close to Flinders University, would appreciate any advice and recomendations on suburbs close to the uni campus which may be suitable.

Have just read the threads on the difficulty in securing teaching jobs. If we fall in love with SA which I am sure we will we hope to apply for a residency visa and I will apply for a post within an early years or primary school. Will having a Masters in Teaching increase my chances of securing employment in the teaching field?

I have so many questions but really need to sit down and think about it.

Would appreciate any help or info in organising accommodation etc.

Thanks oh and happy new year to all!!

Tracy, John, Josh and Con

Guest JD97

Welcome to PIA

Have a enjoyable time on here.

Although im only 11 i deal with all the Admin side of the Visa. I send all the emails and get replies and have got them to give us a case office (with my pleasent words).

Have a happy new year and all the best with the Visa,Course and Masters.

James

Hi and a welcome to PIA, believe me its very addictive!

Happy New Year to you too - wish you all the best with the impending move etc.

Kim xx

Guest Mrs Dizzy Rascal

Hi Welcome to PIA, we went on a reccie too renew our visas last year and fell in love with the Blackwood Eden Hills area, schools are all good around Flinders Uni and they also do alot of running and football for kids their too, and the beach isn't too far away. Good luck with your move, hopefully we shall be their soon still waiting for our house too sell.

Sarah 36

Nick 37

Harry 13

Mariah 11

Shea 5

Shea 5

Guest David Brown

Hi Tracy, I'm quite new to PIA but welcome, I've found it really useful and supportive, though am coming from NZ so luckily no visa probs. ANyway am in same boat as you as haven't sold our house so am coming solo with my kidsat first so they can start school and I can start work, so hopefully everything will fall into place in the long run, but I know its scary so just wanted to say I sympathise! Good luck.

Hi Welcome to PIA, we went on a reccie too renew our visas last year and fell in love with the Blackwood Eden Hills area, schools are all good around Flinders Uni and they also do alot of running and football for kids their too, and the beach isn't too far away. Good luck with your move, hopefully we shall be their soon still waiting for our house too sell.

Sarah 36

Nick 37

Harry 13

Mariah 11

Shea 5

Shea 5

Guest Trakki

Hi and welcome to PIA, can't help on the teaching front but just wanted to welcome you to the site.

Guest The Pottertons

Welcome to PIA guys and good luck with the journey. x

Guest Tracyb

Thanks James for your reply. I am also scared and excited but life is an adventure and new experiences are all part of that. Well done on securing a CO I am sure it wont be long now.

Good luck

Tracy x

Guest mOZzy

hello and welcome to pia!!!

hope you had a good xmas and happy new year!!

congrats on your scholarship!!!

Tracyb,

Welcome to the forum i am fairly new on he as well.

What a small world this is....We live in Gee Cross and the farther in law lives in Mottram.

Hope you find some good info on here.

Just one thing....

You said"We are due to arrive in Adelaide around 20th February 2008"

I take it you should of put 2009?

Rob and Mel

Guest Libby1971

Welcome to PIA.

With regards to your question, the MA will not increase your chances of employment in the government sector unless the system changes. Currently you register with the Dept of Education (DECS) and if there is vacancy in the area you teach, you may get offered it. However, serving in country schools puts you at the top of the list, and there are other criteria. I applied in Dec 2007 and have not had a call even for a short term job. No-one I know has either. If the system changes and jobs are advertised and recruited as in the UK, it may help but the most crucial factor is an Aussie reference. Australians like to know who you know, not what you know adn if you have a name they like, you can at least get your foot in the door.

As for private schools, some will like your CV, some not. It is worth remembering that there is no shortage of applicants for jobs, unlike the UK, although this is due to change. The average age if teachers, judging by my staffroom, is over 50. The national curriculum is due to be introduced in 2010 and this won't be popular with the older generation as they may be reluctant to make the changes. In the UK, when it was introduced it triggered a mass of early retirement applications. However, here many Aussies think the Nat Curr will be a suggestion rather than a directive. Given the age of teachers, there will be significant openings. However, I know of 2 schools where there are teachers aged over 65 who are employed as the kids love them and they still want to teach. In private schools, you do find alot of people of stay a while. At my school, there are staff there who have been there, 25, 30, 35, years. I can't imagine that.

I teach at a secondary school, and it took me a year to get my job. Secondary school teachers are currently on the sponsored list, primary school teachers are not.

I think it will be more likely to find that your experience and contacts in Adelaide will be of more use to you than your MA.

As for accommodation, on the front page there is a link set up for accommodation in Adelaide website set up by Tim. Give it a try. Alternatively, you could try to pm Tyke, Diane, Guzzler&Sas, Judi, Dale&Jo who all have short term rental properties. I am sure there are others but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Good luck

Guest Tracyb

Hi Rob and Mel,

Yes I meant 2009, can't get used to putting that now! What a small world it is! So are you thinking of making the big leap? If so how far down the process are you?

Tracy

Guest Tracyb

Thank you so much Libby for that info. Perhaps while doing placements and teaching practice I can make some contacts (if they like me that is!) and this may help on the job front.

How did you and your family find settling over there, was it difficult? A little worried about my oldest who is 13. He is massively into football and cricket so hope to be able to get him involved in teams and clubs over there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tracy x

Guest Tracyb

Thanks, good luck to you too! Fingers crossed you sell the house quickly so you can all be together

Tracy x

Guest Blackcat

Hi Tracey

I work at Flinders Uni in admin. Nearby areas to live are Bellevue Heights, Blackwood, Belair, Hawthorndene, Flagstaff Hill etc, have a look on realestate.com.au under rentals so you can get some idea of prices. Bellevue Heights would be the nearest to Flinders. It is a lovely Uni in a lovely setting. We live in Blackwood and it takes me about 10 mins to get to work. Can recomend the Blackwood primary and High Schools as my two go there. Most of the schools do lots of sports and have lots of clubs. Good luck, anymore questions feel free to PM me, Gina