New Life In Oz

Guest hughes

Hi Karen & Jason

We seem to be at the same stage of the journey as you, although I think we will be waiting longer for our visas due to the new regulations, we are on 176 skilled, sponsored by a relative so are way down in the pecking order! We started the TRA application in July and lodged the main application at the beginning of December, I never thought that we would get there, there is so much stuff to get together. So now have to be very patient (not very good at that). The good news for us is that we have sold the house here. Very premature I know, but just didn't want to leave it any longer due to the housing market or else would have no money to go with! We are hopefully about to exchange, so everything is crossed. We will then rent for the remainder of our time here. All very exciting and very scary. Like everyone, I have days when I can't wait and other days when I think its a ridiculous idea! Everyone knows now (except my boss!) and I must say the hardest thing in the world was telling my parents. They are slowly getting used to the idea and even rang me last night to watch 'a place in the sun'. That's big progress, believe me!

We just spent New Years eve with all of our friends, who spent the evening giving us grief about leaving them and why on earth we would even dream of going! We do have a great bunch of friends and enjoy a good social life.

We have two small children and while our lives here are fairly comfortable, we have had enough of the rat race (we both commute into London and earn good salaries) I really believe there is something better to offer them. They go to a lovely catholic school here, but I really think they take the education too far , my daughter had SATS exams last year at the age of 7. They both love the outdoors and my daughter is really sporty, and there is just no emphasis on that side of things. She was mortified when we first told her, she didn't want to leave her friends and her Irish dancing, but is now getting used to the idea. (might be something to do with the pet koala i offered her!)

Our best friends have been in Grange for 4 years now and have not looked back. I am under no illusions, I know we won't get the salaries we get here, but I don't think you need so much money for a decent standard of living. It costs of about £4000 for two weeks in the sun here every year, so that's an immediate saving!! My husbands sister lives in New Zealand so that's out holdidays sorted!

Anyway I am ranting a bit now, but it's so nice to talk to people going thru the same thing, It's such a rollercoster and you are just living in limbo land, but think of the long term outcome.

Tina & Mick x

Hi Tina,

Just reading your post and noticed that you are going on a 176 sponsored by a relative. When we come to apply for our visa we too are hoping to go for that visa as I have an aunt and uncle in Adelaide. What does the sponsorship involve on the relatives part? Is it just form filling or do they have to put forward cash of some kind like a bond? Ideally we would like to go on the 175 Visa but we might be 5 points short. Anyway enough of the questions, as long as we get there hey!

Take care, Joanne x

Hi Joanne

Their part of the form filling is not half as bad as I imagined. My aunt is in Melbourne and in her 70's and I was really worried about this, but it is only a few pages, just giving details of their residency and proof of them being a blood relative. Her birth and marriage certificates along with my mums had to be provided and you have to draw a family tree showing how you are related.

So not as daunting as you would think, but I am glad that bit is over for us!

Good luck

Tina x

Guest hughes

Hi Tina & Mick,

It's good to hear from you and please stay in touch, we all need people to talk to during this whole journey, it's easier to talk to people who understand the process. Where are you in the UK??

I have family in the south of adelaide who were due to sponsor us,but then Jason's occupation - Landscape Gardener came onto the MODL list and so we were able to go on the 175 skilled independent visa. I'm still not sure whether this means we will get our visas before the end of June or not?? I'm getting so excited at the thought - i've got butterflies in my tummy, but something keeps telling me we're not that lucky!!!! Do you know if we will get them early???

I know what you mean about the life for kids, that is one of the reasons for us going, our little boy loves being outside, to be honest there are several - the outdoor living being number 1, none of our friends and family know about us going except for my parents and my brother, so it may come as a shock to people as we run a business here, so I don't think people will expect it.

You're lucky you've sold your house, we just don't know whether to try and sell it now or rent it for a while until the housing market picks up, the trouble is doing that wewill have to rent in OZ and then you will never feel settled until you buy property and set down roots. We both hate where we live so it won't be a problem to go.

I had a big wobbler over christmas and I thought I'd decided I didn't want to go,but the following day I realised I'm just scared, it's a huge move, going into the unknown, but we are lucky to have people to help when we get there and we'll have a roof over our heads. We're also taking the dog, so we've got to sort all that aswell- stress!!!!!!

Anyway, look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take Care

Karen & Jason

Hi Karen & Jason

We seem to be at the same stage of the journey as you, although I think we will be waiting longer for our visas due to the new regulations, we are on 176 skilled, sponsored by a relative so are way down in the pecking order! We started the TRA application in July and lodged the main application at the beginning of December, I never thought that we would get there, there is so much stuff to get together. So now have to be very patient (not very good at that). The good news for us is that we have sold the house here. Very premature I know, but just didn't want to leave it any longer due to the housing market or else would have no money to go with! We are hopefully about to exchange, so everything is crossed. We will then rent for the remainder of our time here. All very exciting and very scary. Like everyone, I have days when I can't wait and other days when I think its a ridiculous idea! Everyone knows now (except my boss!) and I must say the hardest thing in the world was telling my parents. They are slowly getting used to the idea and even rang me last night to watch 'a place in the sun'. That's big progress, believe me!

We just spent New Years eve with all of our friends, who spent the evening giving us grief about leaving them and why on earth we would even dream of going! We do have a great bunch of friends and enjoy a good social life.

We have two small children and while our lives here are fairly comfortable, we have had enough of the rat race (we both commute into London and earn good salaries) I really believe there is something better to offer them. They go to a lovely catholic school here, but I really think they take the education too far , my daughter had SATS exams last year at the age of 7. They both love the outdoors and my daughter is really sporty, and there is just no emphasis on that side of things. She was mortified when we first told her, she didn't want to leave her friends and her Irish dancing, but is now getting used to the idea. (might be something to do with the pet koala i offered her!)

Our best friends have been in Grange for 4 years now and have not looked back. I am under no illusions, I know we won't get the salaries we get here, but I don't think you need so much money for a decent standard of living. It costs of about £4000 for two weeks in the sun here every year, so that's an immediate saving!! My husbands sister lives in New Zealand so that's out holdidays sorted!

Anyway I am ranting a bit now, but it's so nice to talk to people going thru the same thing, It's such a rollercoster and you are just living in limbo land, but think of the long term outcome.

Tina & Mick x

Hi guys

Don't worry about the wobbler, I have them on a weekly basis! We are in Watford, Herts, so not that far from you. Maybe once we get the house sale sorted, we could arrange a half way meet (that goes for anyone else in the South of England). We have been to look round some houses to rent today and we are gonna have to pay more than what our mortgage was, but we need to just get over that because it would probably have cost us more if we left selling it until nearer the time. We priced it to sell, probably about 15K cheaper than anything else similar in the area, but we sold in a week and the others are all still on the market. I have regular wobbles that I have given it away, but then the sensible head reminds me of the long term plan! and reading the posts on here, so many people have got their visas and can't sell. So we all have our different dilemas.

As for your 175, I think you are just above us in the priority line, so you can put the wine on ice for us! As I read it, the order is as follows:

Employer Sponsored

State Sponsored

Critical Skills

MODL (thats you!)

All others (thats me!!)

that's just as I read the new regulations.

We had already resigned ourselves to the fact that it would be towards the end of 2009 so once we complete the house sale (fingers crossed) we are just going to try and carry on as we were, which is very hard as I am sure you will know.

How old are your kids? Ours are 7 and 4. We will be in Grange to start with, as our best friends are there, but don't think we will be able to afford to buy there and I don't want to put the kids in one school only to move them 6 months later when we hopefully can buy. I am drawn to the Hallett Cove Area, not sure why, maybe the house prices, but we think definately coastal. Just one of hundreds of things to think about, but MUCH later.

Take care and keep in touch

Tina & Mick xx

Guest ben.karen

Welcome to PIA. We are a family of 5 who have lodged our application in August. It's a bit scary with constant wobbles but I've found not to think about the move as permanent (even though we've applied for a permanent 175 visa) as it helps. Never say forever but if that's what happens..so be it. We are going with a total open mind and heart. We were lucky that we sold our house last year and now live in rented, and Ben my husband has a job due to start in Adelaide Hospital in April - though unsure whether we will get our visa by then. You are very lucky to have family there as I'm sure this will help you settle more quickly. Good luck with the process, we all know what you're going through.

Karen and Ben

Guest hughes

Hi Tina & Mick,

thanks for your info, by the sounds of it I don't think we will be much in front of what we thought, we were told we would get visas around september 09 time, so I'll stick to that and if it happens sooner it's a bonus!!!! If we do get there before you we will certainly put the wine on ice and a good old barbie!!!!!

We would definately love to meet up with you all, just let us know once you are settled and we'll go from there.

We've only got one child Callum who is almost 22 months and we've got the dog!!!! (who's costing more to get out there than us!!!!) But worth it. We would love another child but it's that limbo land lurking again!!!!!! You basically put your life on hold and everything is "well after we get the visas"!!!

I have my cousin and his family in Hallett Cove, it will be lovely to be by the sea, we're going anywhere we can afford the house we want. Mind you if we don't sell our house, it will just be renting to start with. You've done well to sell, you certainly had the right idea. We are going to put our's on the market soon, but i'm wary about selling before the visas even though i know i've got to. It's back to the unknown again hey!!!!

Anyway, do let us know when you fancy meeting and like you said if there is anyone else that would fancy meeting it would be great to see you all.

Take Care

Karen & Jasonxx

Hi guys

Don't worry about the wobbler, I have them on a weekly basis! We are in Watford, Herts, so not that far from you. Maybe once we get the house sale sorted, we could arrange a half way meet (that goes for anyone else in the South of England). We have been to look round some houses to rent today and we are gonna have to pay more than what our mortgage was, but we need to just get over that because it would probably have cost us more if we left selling it until nearer the time. We priced it to sell, probably about 15K cheaper than anything else similar in the area, but we sold in a week and the others are all still on the market. I have regular wobbles that I have given it away, but then the sensible head reminds me of the long term plan! and reading the posts on here, so many people have got their visas and can't sell. So we all have our different dilemas.

As for your 175, I think you are just above us in the priority line, so you can put the wine on ice for us! As I read it, the order is as follows:

Employer Sponsored

State Sponsored

Critical Skills

MODL (thats you!)

All others (thats me!!)

that's just as I read the new regulations.

We had already resigned ourselves to the fact that it would be towards the end of 2009 so once we complete the house sale (fingers crossed) we are just going to try and carry on as we were, which is very hard as I am sure you will know.

How old are your kids? Ours are 7 and 4. We will be in Grange to start with, as our best friends are there, but don't think we will be able to afford to buy there and I don't want to put the kids in one school only to move them 6 months later when we hopefully can buy. I am drawn to the Hallett Cove Area, not sure why, maybe the house prices, but we think definately coastal. Just one of hundreds of things to think about, but MUCH later.

Take care and keep in touch

Tina & Mick xx

Guest hughes

Hi Ben & Karen,

Thanks for getting in touch, it's lovely to hear from you. You may well get your visa in time for April, do you think these new changes could speed things up for you??? I take it Ben you are a doctor or Nurse??? It's good you have a job to go to. How did you secure a job, did you go there??? Where will you be going in Adelaide??

Yes we are lucky to have family there, however, we would also like to get to know many friends, as I think that will help us settle more.

Anyway, good luck to you with your visa, I will keep my fingers crossed for you for April!!!

Please keep in touch, it's lovely to speak to people who knows what it's like!!

Take Care

Karen & Jason & Callum & Travisxxxx

Welcome to PIA. We are a family of 5 who have lodged our application in August. It's a bit scary with constant wobbles but I've found not to think about the move as permanent (even though we've applied for a permanent 175 visa) as it helps. Never say forever but if that's what happens..so be it. We are going with a total open mind and heart. We were lucky that we sold our house last year and now live in rented, and Ben my husband has a job due to start in Adelaide Hospital in April - though unsure whether we will get our visa by then. You are very lucky to have family there as I'm sure this will help you settle more quickly. Good luck with the process, we all know what you're going through.

Karen and Ben

Hi Sarah & Matt

I am originally from Grimsby and used to spend a lot of time in Lincoln, as an Irish dancer. Have been in London now for 20 years and have just lodged out 176 application at the beginning of December. Me and the hubby turned 40 in 2008, so this is our mid life crisis, to turn our world upside down and relocate to the other side of the world! Seriously, we have two small kids aged 7 and 4 and really believe there is a better life for them.

Good luck with the medicals

Tina & Mick x

Guest ben.karen

Hello again Karen and Jason,

Thanks for your prompt reply. It would be really good to have friends who we could meet up with at some point so we'll definately stay in touch and that goes for other PIA members too. Ben is a nurse and got his job by writing to the Royal Adelaide Hospital and sending his CV. They then wrote back and arranged a telephone interview at 5 in the morning! That was early summer last year so we hope they will hold the job open for him if we don't go in April. Been a little naive here but what are the new changes to immigration that may help us? That would be great if it worked in our favour.

As regards where to live, we are still constantly researching this. We also like the Mclaren Vale areas, Willunga and Aldinga. I have this crazy notion about living rural with lots of land and views of the hills from my window, however I don't drive and as Ben points out to me getting the kids to school in the morning would be impossible!

I also quite like Mount Barker. Anyones views on this would be appreciated. We live in a smallish Cornish town now so would like to live something similar.

Regards for now,

Karen and Ben. :)

Karen

Guest hughes

Hi Karen & Ben,

It would be great if we ended up in the same place over there, plenty of barbies and plenty of that McLaren Vale wine!!!! My uncle and aunt who live in McLaren Vale were telling me yesterday about Aldinga Beach, apparently although it is still quite quiet there at the moment, they are developing the place vastly. It already has school, kindergarten, shops, doctors and a supermarket but it is also a couple of mins walk from beach. But apparently, there are plans to have the train connected through to Aldinga Beach, the plans were rejected recently and the money that was set aside for it have been used for improvements to the Adelaide entertainment transport side but people have gone up in arms abaout it and apparently plans are beingput in place for it. So basically, at the moment you can buy a 3/4 bedroom brand new place with double garage etc... for around the late $200.000 and if the plans do go ahead for the development you could be sitting on a goldmine!!! I think this kind of area is where we'll end up, we want McLaren Vale but we just can't afford what we want there. Seaford is a ncie area too but not as quiet as McLaren Vale. Anyway, as someone else said to me on here as you will get your visas first and get out there you can put the wine on ice for us!!!!!!!!!Oh and get the bangers on the barbie!!!!! Please stay in touch, I think it will be nice to have friends when we all get out there.

As for Ben's job offer, that is great - I bet that was the best interview he's ever done hey!!! We are in the process of trying to get something for Jason -but it's hard with not being there. I will just get incontact with all Landscapers and see if they can offer him anything. Have you seen the service that the SA government are offering, you can apply for one of their houses to rent for 12 weeks when you first get there, you sort it all before you go so you have somewhere straight away, the rent includes a furnished property and includes water, gas and electricity, you tell them what size family you have and they assign you an appropriately sized property.

Take Care

Karen & Jasonxx

Hello again Karen and Jason,

Thanks for your prompt reply. It would be really good to have friends who we could meet up with at some point so we'll definately stay in touch and that goes for other PIA members too. Ben is a nurse and got his job by writing to the Royal Adelaide Hospital and sending his CV. They then wrote back and arranged a telephone interview at 5 in the morning! That was early summer last year so we hope they will hold the job open for him if we don't go in April. Been a little naive here but what are the new changes to immigration that may help us? That would be great if it worked in our favour.

As regards where to live, we are still constantly researching this. We also like the Mclaren Vale areas, Willunga and Aldinga. I have this crazy notion about living rural with lots of land and views of the hills from my window, however I don't drive and as Ben points out to me getting the kids to school in the morning would be impossible!

I also quite like Mount Barker. Anyones views on this would be appreciated. We live in a smallish Cornish town now so would like to live something similar.

Regards for now,

Karen and Ben. :)

Karen