Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter Hibbitt

Job Sponsorship

Guest Peter Hibbitt

Hi All.

Me and my family visited Australia for 4 weeks back in 2005 and really want to move there ASAP

Our original plan was for a state sponsered business visa, but i cant sell my 40% of my courier business in Lincolnshire (been trying for 3 years now). I have run the courier business and co run it for 13 years now. I am a part qualified accountant (MAAT) and dont qualify for a skills visa.

After visiting a few migration show we have been told its almost impossible to get an employer to sponsor me for a visa.

Can anyone advise me on this (or offer me a job ??)

Thanks

Pete

Guest Libby1971

Have you been told this by a migration agent? If not, see one. Some of the agencies will give you a free appraisalbefore you sign up so you know if you are able to get it or not.

Try Go Matilda or Ian Harrop (who we used)- others will suggest theirs I am sure but I can't remember any others right now.

As for offering you job, sadly that is not what this site is for. If you can afford it, why not come for a reccie visit laden down with copies of your CV and any documents you have and take them around to places. It might help...just before you think I am posh cow with oodles of cash, I couldn't afford that option but I hear it might be worth a try.

Guest Peter Hibbitt

Thanks for your reply, yes I have thought about coming over with CVs (will be a struggle to afford it but hey if it works !!) but didnt want it to be a wasted trip if employers dont sponsor semi skilled people. Spoke to several agents including one of the ones you mentioned (I think) but they all seemed to suggest that, Yes it is a route in be very very unlikely I couild get a sponsorship as employers didnt want to comitte themselves.

Just not sure if thats true OR that the agents didnt make any money from those visa. So I am trying to find someone like me who does not qualify with the points system who has tried this..

Thanks

Pete

Guest Libby1971

Visa agents will take on anybody whose case they can be successful with. Some have a policy that if they don't get the visa, then they refund your money. Being 100% honest, I have no idea where you go from here. The recession is hitting here although admittedly not as much as the UK. Have the agencies given you any idea how to improve your chances?

I think the thing to bear in mind is that if you get an employer who is happy to sponsor you for a semi skilled role, move your family over here and get settled, then as with any job these days, there is no guarantee that you will not maybe get made redundant at some stage down the line - as happened to another poor lady on here I believe. In that case, you have something like 28 days to find another sponsoring employer or you have to go back to the UK! Obviously this is the case with any job, but if your job is not one of those on the "desperately short of local people who are able or willing to do this job" list (I don't think that's the official term!) then obviously it is that much harder to find another employer willing to sponsor someone from overseas to do it, if they could find someone local instead who could fill the position. Sponsoring companies have to agree to pay for a flight back for a migrant if the job doesn't work out for whatever reason, so obviously that is a cost that an employer has to take into account as well as wages etc.

I think this is the case on a temporary employer sponsored visa. I know that there are permanent sponsored visas you can also get, and am not sure of the terms of those - you would definitely have to speak to a migration agent to get the full facts.

I just felt so sorry for the lady who posted her story on here - I think she had until the end of Jan to find another employer or would have to uproot her whole family and return to the UK - fingers crossed she has found something, but it is a cautionary tale and something to be aware of.

Guest guest569

My brother was in a similar situation recently and wanted to emigrate to new Zealand. He kept applying for jobs online then flew himself there for an interview. Got the job offer in writing then applied for a visa. All they would give him as he is 50 and not enough points is a 3yr work visa. he has been there 2 weeks now and starts work tomorrow. Once settled he will apply for PR.

This info may or may not be of help but the moral of the story is ... Where there's a will there's a way !!!!

Good luck.

Guest katsmajic

My brother is planning on getting out here in the very near future, and will be carting loads of resumes with him...hes going to be seeking sponsorship if pos.

Donut had a pr visa but didnt validate it...so now looking at getting out on sponsorship as a faster route than waiting for another pr visa...

Hes an I.T. geek...so hoping he might find someone willing to take him on. :wubclub:

Guest Peter Hibbitt

Thanks for all your input it has given us plenty to think about. I will do some more research on the visas and jobs.

Does any one know if you have to pay for school fees if you get a job sponsered visa ?

You have to pay school fees whatever type of visa you're on - about $300-$600 a year for state schools, anything from $3000 a year upwards for private. HOWEVER, on some sorts of visas (such as a tourist visa) you have to pay International Fees which are quite a bit higher. Don't think this applies on an employer sponsored visa but best to check with DECS http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/ for the definitive answer - I did ask on behalf of a client recently and posted up the response here : http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5457&highlight=International+fees

Hope that helps

Diane