Subclass 475 and 495 Visaholders - Medicare Entitlement

Alan Collett

I thought some would be interested to know that I have spoken with Medicare Eligibility this morning, and am advised that:

- subclass 475 visaholders from the UK are eligible for Medicare under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) between the UK and Australia

- this (in essence) allows for the reimbursement under Medicare of treatment that is "medically necessary" (including attendance at doctors and medicines)

- 475 visaholders can obtain a Medicare card; this is a slightly different colour to the standard Medicare card, and will have the word "Reciprocal" on it

- there is no entitlement to exemption from paying the Medicare Levy on Australian assessable income due to an ability to access Medicare

- it is recommended that private health care is obtained to supplement Medicare

- there is less of a choice of private health care providers for those accessing Medicare under the RHCA: interested persons should feel able to send me a PM or an email so I can provide further details

- once the application for permanent residency has been lodged individuals can obtain full Medicare cover: you do not have to await permanent residency visa grant before accessing full Medicare

Best regards.

A brief mention of a couple of tax issues to add to the consideration of whether or not to take out private health care:

1. The Medicare Levy Surcharge:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/7128.htm

2. Lifetime Health Cover initiative:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/health-privatehealth-lhc-providers-general.htm

Best regards.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this info, when we went to do our Medicare card they said we weren't entitled, but then we explained about the reciprocal agreement and they did the card.

Guest soggy

I thought some would be interested to know that I have spoken with Medicare Eligibility this morning, and am advised that:

- subclass 475 visaholders from the UK are eligible for Medicare under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) between the UK and Australia

- this (in essence) allows for the reimbursement under Medicare of treatment that is "medically necessary" (including attendance at doctors and medicines)

- 475 visaholders can obtain a Medicare card; this is a slightly different colour to the standard Medicare card, and will have the word "Reciprocal" on it

- there is no entitlement to exemption from paying the Medicare Levy on Australian assessable income due to an ability to access Medicare

- it is recommended that private health care is obtained to supplement Medicare

- there is less of a choice of private health care providers for those accessing Medicare under the RHCA: interested persons should feel able to send me a PM or an email so I can provide further details

- once the application for permanent residency has been lodged individuals can obtain full Medicare cover: you do not have to await permanent residency visa grant before accessing full Medicare

Best regards.

Hi,

when I looked at private health cover while on a 495 I found it very expensive and did not give anywhere near the cover as a PR holder would get, I decided it would be better to save the money, if not to pay for treatment, to pay for a flight back to the UK! but then I like a risk:)

Simon

Guest Mandy H

Hi Alan

Thanks for this info, much appreciated, also for the 475, info about becoming permanent residents, was really worried about that, but you have calmed my nerves a little

Mandy

• 1 year later...