Guest Tracey Smith

Third Party insurance claim

Guest Tracey Smith

Advice needed please. My daugher was rear ended in our third party only covered car yesterday. Luckily the driver is insured and has passed on his details as well as informing his insurance company. As any previous accidents we had were in the UK in our fully comp covered car I have no idea how to go about claiming for the damage on this guy's insurance. Do I have to get quotes for the damage and forward them to him before the work is done? The car is pretty old and only worth about $1,000 and think it may be considered a write off by the insurance company. Can anyone help please.

Tracey :sad:

Contact the insurance company of the driver for info. Some insurance companies have a centre for assessing the cars etc. They will give you the info. Otherwise you can take it to a repairer of your choice and have them contact the insurance company. I'd try the insurance company first though.

Guest Im Here

Hi Tracey you would do exactly what you would of done in the Uk. Contact his insurance and then go from there

Guest Django

Hi Tracey is Kirsty ok? My mate got rear ended and his neck has never been the same since. He didn't notice anything for the first few days.

Oh by the way. I still haven't come across Kirsy's gloves. They must be there somewhere. I will shout when I do.

Pete

Guest Tracey Smith

Hi Pete,

Kirsty is fine, bit sore next day but ok now.

Guy that hit her decided he didn't want to go down insurance route and said he would pay us cash so we could get it fixed. So far he is giving us the run around so not sure what to do now as we have had the car fixed. Have been told about small claims or similar but not sure how to go about that.

Don't worry about the gloves if they turn up I will be surprised, but Traci did say she thought she had found Kirsty's photo album but it wasn't in the boxes we collected last time.

Tracey

If you believe the damage to be $1000 or more you must report the accident to the police within 24 hours. They will take a statement and give you a blue card with the report number on it. Then contact his insurance company. They will ask for the police report number. Usually you will have to take the car to a crash repairer for a quote, they will then forward the details to the insurance company. Don't forget that by being on the road you are automatically 10% liable so the insurance company will knock that off the claim amount paid out.

You must do the police report first.

http://www.raa.net/page.asp?TerID=223

Guest Jamie&Carrie

Is it possible he is only on a minimum level of cover? Or just has the basic Rego?

i.e. CTP.

Or just has the basic Rego?

CTP is so much different to our TPFT in the UK which is our minimum cover.

CTP will only cover damage to persons inside and outside the vehicle and not your vehicle or the 'other vehicle(s) involved including property. (no fire or theft either unless you pay the extra provided that the insurer offers it (third party)).

I personally wouldn't want to settle outside of the insurance particularly if its the other persons fault. Hence the run around he is giving you.

You probably know this but then there are a few peeps with the blinkers on who don't know this.

I hope he does call you to arrange a cash pay off soon though!

Good luck. :)