Containers. Who to use?

Guest alan smallman

Guest alan smallman

Hi to everyone.

Happy New Year to you all. Understand the weather is great out there at the moment!!

Just got our visas through and are now looking into removal companies and costs. What are your experiences regarding reliability and price? Reading some of the previous posts I gather Pickfords are to be avoided, and PSS International seem to have a good rep. If anyone can throw up a few more names that have given good service, we would be much obliged.

Many Thanks!!

Alan:notworthy:

Guest Suziep

Hi Alan,

We are looking into getting quotes from PSS, Anglo Pacific & Doree Bonner - they all seem reputable but not sure yet how they pan out price wise.

Good luck with your move.

Sue

Guest alan smallman
Alan,

I have just read your post and you put..

"I gather Pickfords are to be avoided"

I have not read anything to say this, can you tell me why you have put it?

I have been contacting container companies for quotes and they are on my list.

Cheers Rob and Mel

Hi Rob & Mel.

Thanks for replying to my post. I have casually been paying attention to posts over the last few months regarding International Removals and until recently this wasn't an immediate priority. Since our visas came through a couple of days after Xmas, we are now seriously looking to employ the services of a reliable firm. Just for starters I went on the 'Transport' link on this website and then scrolled down to a post left by ncjackinthebox which isn't very complimentary about the firm in question. Having said that in fairness there are also other companies who do not fair well in some of the other posts on this link, so it's maybe well to read these and take the comments into account also. Pickfords have been described in that post as ''rubbish and unprofessional'. Over the last few months when I have been 'cruising' on this site I can remember seeing their name highlighted once or twice for similar reasons (though unfortunately because of the casual nature of my searches, I didn't log the 'names' of those that posted negatively). Its' difficult to decide, but it's like everything else isn't it? You'd rather not take a chance on a company that has been highlighted as such just in case it's not a 'one-off'. It's a lot of money to pay out for poor service.

Sorry I can't answer any more honestly as that but I'd be interested in your experiences as this is what PIA is all about - sharing experiences, providing advice and support, so let me know how you get on and I'll do the same.

Good Luck both!!

Cheers

:)

Alan

Guest alan smallman

Thanks again for all your replies.

We are going to get quotes from PSS, White & Co, and a local branch of Brittania to compare and contrast fees and services. Doree Bonner is one that I have heard good things about also. If anyone knows of a hard case (bike box) to fit my custom-built 80's retro road cycle into, I'd be much obliged!!

Many thanks to you all.

:notworthy:

Alan

Quotes back from John Mason, PSS, White & Co and Anglo Pacific - all between £1575 and £1630 for 300 cubic feet. All around £2000 for 400 cubic feet. Managed to get PSS down to £1500 for the 300 cubic feet and they are coming next week!

Insurance seems expensive. Working out about £300 for our estimated value of about £8k. Does that seem right?

Didn't like White & Co at all - they sent round a local removals firm who work 'in association' with them. They quoted fow way more space than the other 3 and the bloke didn't seem nearly as knowledgeable as the others.

Hi, Just had John Mason's in last week to pack us up and could not fault them, arrived on time had almost all of the house packed up by Wednesday evening and the remainder packed in time for the container arriving at Lunch time Thursday. 20ft container loaded and away by 4pm Thursday afternoon. The two lads who came to pack everything were pleasant and very hard working. just wait to see how things are at the other end. Will keep you all posted. Container should arrive the week before us due to leave UK on 15/1/09 arrive Adelaide 5/3/09. Using private insurance company Letton Percival who charge 1.6% of value, can PM me for telephone number if required.

Take care

Jo x

Using private insurance company Letton Percival who charge 1.6% of value, can PM me for telephone number if required.

Take care

Jo x

Us too! Called them today and he is sending me the info in the post. Costing £130 to cover £8k value. Includes more than what PSS covers at no extra premium and is half the cost! Very reasonable and the chap seemed very knowledgable and not at all 'salesman like' lol.

Guest alan smallman
Quotes back from John Mason, PSS, White & Co and Anglo Pacific - all between £1575 and £1630 for 300 cubic feet. All around £2000 for 400 cubic feet. Managed to get PSS down to £1500 for the 300 cubic feet and they are coming next week!

Insurance seems expensive. Working out about £300 for our estimated value of about £8k. Does that seem right?

Didn't like White & Co at all - they sent round a local removals firm who work 'in association' with them. They quoted fow way more space than the other 3 and the bloke didn't seem nearly as knowledgeable as the others.

Hi Jo

Having White & Co around tomorrow along with Brittania (since the latter are based nearby in Lincolnshire). Have been trying to get hold of PSS and have called FOUR times! They haven't returned our calls so they must be too busy to want our business. Not agood start if you have to chase them though I had heard good things about them. don't think it's a good idea to use 'subbies' especially as you say, if they appear not to be up to speed with necessary information.

haven't even got as far as looking into insurance just yet, but once we do I'll let you know. having said that you'll probably be over 'there' by the time we get things organised!! Good luck with evrything and please keep us posted.

Alan & Pauline

Guest alan smallman
Hi, Just had John Mason's in last week to pack us up and could not fault them, arrived on time had almost all of the house packed up by Wednesday evening and the remainder packed in time for the container arriving at Lunch time Thursday. 20ft container loaded and away by 4pm Thursday afternoon. The two lads who came to pack everything were pleasant and very hard working. just wait to see how things are at the other end. Will keep you all posted. Container should arrive the week before us due to leave UK on 15/1/09 arrive Adelaide 5/3/09. Using private insurance company Letton Percival who charge 1.6% of value, can PM me for telephone number if required.

Take care

Jo x

Hi Jo.

Insurance is something we need to look into so if it's not too much trouble, I'd very much like the Tel No for Letton Percival. It's much appreciated.

Alan

Guest alan smallman

Gosh Jo. That's a quick reply!!!

The number we are using is 0208 666 7733. We've been passed on to a guy called John Bennet - don't know if that rings any bells? He promises to get back to us within 2 hours. there must be a reason why we ar having problems as they have a good rep from what I can understand.

thanks for your reply Jo.

Alan

0208 686 7733 or 0208 666 7733?? It's the 686 one, not the 666! lol

Not sure who I spoke to now... think it might be Dave someone but he was talking to me regarding lowering my quote so it might be a different person you have to deal with. Try e-mailing - thats what I did and they rand the next working day and booked the appt. E-mail is enquiries@p-s-s.co.uk

Hope you have better luck!

Jo xx

Hi Jo

This is a question not a test - approximately how much furniture can you fit into a 300 cubic foot container? Only asking coz we don't intend to take kitchen appliances as they will all be over 5 year's old and wardrobes etc are all fitted. Will probably take sofas, double & single bed, TV etc etc etc.

Thanks

Tracey

Hi Jo

This is a question not a test - approximately how much furniture can you fit into a 300 cubic foot container? Only asking coz we don't intend to take kitchen appliances as they will all be over 5 year's old and wardrobes etc are all fitted. Will probably take sofas, double & single bed, TV etc etc etc.

Thanks

Tracey

You must have read my mind! We have had a quote for 500 cft which apparently is around the size of a Luton van. That doesn't seem very big to me. I know the 20ft container is 1000 cft. I'm hopeless, I minute I don't think we are taking much and then the next when I think of it being packed and going into the space I'm sure it won't fit! :wacko:

Ok, here is a list of what we are taking!

Washing machine

Tumble dryer

Dishwasher

TV unit

Sideboard

Flat packed shelves

Flat packed wardrobe

Bike trailer

Bikes x 2

Small buggy

3 x Boxes of clothes

2 x Boxes bed linen

1 cot bed (flat packed)

5 x Boxes of toys

2 x Ride on toys (little tikes cosy coupe etc)

1 x Slide

6 x Misc boxes

DVD player

VCR

Xbox and laptop

Hoover

3 stools

Hifi

1 box kitchen utensils

6 x plastic boxes (underbed storage size)

It isn't much! The boxes are large though - they call them tea chests? Not sure of exact dimensions but you could fit quite a lot in them.

We worked out that our 2 x 2 seater sofas were going to cost £450 to ship! I only bought them for £200 off ebay lol. Now we are buying some more in Adelaide for $600, so works out better than shipping the ones we have. I'm only looking to buy things secondhand out there (except mattresses!). Dining table etc. We have 3 small kids so there is no point in spending a fortune on furntiure that will be dented/ sicked on/ scratched/ stained. We will be buying a new TV out there and a new fridge/ freezer - prefer such items new as they have a guarantee.

Jo xx

Guest Alan and Jodi
Thanks again for all your replies.

We are going to get quotes from PSS, White & Co, and a local branch of Brittania to compare and contrast fees and services. Doree Bonner is one that I have heard good things about also. If anyone knows of a hard case (bike box) to fit my custom-built 80's retro road cycle into, I'd be much obliged!!

Many thanks to you all.

:notworthy:

Alan

Hi Alan,

We shipped 2 motorbikes and used Crown Relocations - didn't get a choice, the company the OH has come to work for made the decision after we got a few quotes but, so far they have been fantastic. They came last Monday & Tuesday to pack up the house and on Wednesday they came with pre-made wooden crates ready to put on the container and crate the bikes. They were made to such a good fit they had to take the exhaust off my bike (our fault, it was measured with an after-market can on but OH put the original back on for shipping!). They try to get you to take out their insurance but they are really expensive, we went with Letton Percival like many others. We had a 20ft container and got the bikes and almost everything from a 3 bedroom house in it with a tiny amount of room to spare!

Been in Adelaide for 3 days now!

Good luck

Jodi & Alan

Guest alan smallman
I fit the entire contents of my 2 bed house into a Luton van once - it can be done! Just depends on what you want to take

funnily enough Jo. Me and the OH were talking tonight about the last move we made in relation to the stuff we had to fit into a luton van. we don't have a great deal really. the biggest things are the dining table and chairs, and 'three-piece'. The most precious things are my three road cycles (sounds awful doesn't it?). I've just re-built an old 80's Italian road bike and I'm really worried about it. I haven't ridden it yet as I don't want to get it dirty!!!! How sad is that?!!:biglaugh:

Alan :D

Guest alan smallman

Hi Jodi & Al.

bet you can't wait to get your stuff back, especially the bikes? How are you finding it? Did you have a house to sell before you left? We're waiting for someone to rent ours, then we'll book our tickets. Have you found a rental over there yet?

hope evrything goes well for you!! good luck and thanks for the reply to my post.

Alan

Guest Alan and Jodi

Hi Alan,

Our house has only been on the market for 8 weeks, a few people have looked around and someone made silly offer which we refused. We'll just see how it goes over the next month then maybe rent it out. We're in a fortunate position of not being desperate to sell as we don't intend to buy out here until we have permanent residency (we're here on a sponsored 457 visa as the company Alan's working for were desperate to get him out here and that was the quickest way).

Can't wait to get the bikes - only 10 weeks to go!!!!! No luck with a furnished rental yet - that's my job while Al's out working! Luckily, I have loads of family here so I'm sure if we get desperate, someone can put us up for a week or two!

Hope you soon get tennants for your house and get those tickets booked - good luck!!

Jodi