ken&wendy

Should we bring....

Hi Guys - we've just had the removers in to give us a quote and it threw up a few questions for us - sorry if these have already been asked.

Is it worth bringing our fridge/freezer - PSS reckon they don't work too well over there - it is worth bringing it just to tide us over?

And again (please don't laugh) - would it be sensible to leave the tumble dryer here or does anybody use one there.

What about TVs. Do they work? PSS reckon they do, but only through some sort of Sky system. Is this right? How much is a basic Foxtel (or whatever) subscription.

And lastly our computer - it's quite old- about 7 or 8 years - it is worthwhile bringing it?

Any help gratefully received.

Wendy

(STILL awaiting our visa!)

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Our old F/F works perfectly well out in the outdoor ent area, keeps the beer cold and the ice cream frozen for this and the last 2 years.

All tvs will work with a set top box and some work without one, basic foxtel is about $38 a month

I bought my tumble drier and use it more as there are no radiators to help dry the washing in the winter

I am guessing my comp is at least 6 yrs old, they will work here if they worked in the UK

I'd have a think about the computer though - you may well be using webcams etc a lot more over here (many do) and they're much happier running on USB 2.0 (MUCH faster version of what your PC has). You'd be better off with a laptop, if can you find a cheap one (with international warranty), or picking up a deal when you get here. If the PC monitor is a flatscreen definitely bring that though - if not, it's just added bulk.

Just something to think about...

J.

Guest woolmerdj

We bought everything with us and I dont regret any of it.Believe me it is expensive to set up home and being new here means you may unexpectantly pay over the odds for things.I use my freezer, t.v and tumble dryer, just make sure you bring plenty of converter plugs with you!

We have Foxtel which really isn't as good as Sky.We are now locked into a year deal and pay $105 per month.This includes everything(not HD).Remember that Foxtel is not as good as Sky.I personally would rather spend the money on something else, but I have a footie mad husband and a 19 year old son!!

Good luck

we brought ours which was only a couple of years old and it packed up about 7 weeks after we got here right in middle of a barbie and everything defrosted lol:arghh:. But talking to others theirs have been ok just our bad luck...hard to say if it was moving it accross the world or if it would have packed in anyway

Thank you all for your replies. We had intended buying a laptop to bring with us on the plane - there are some good deals around at the moment. My intention for the old computer was that my two girls could use it for homework, msn etc.

Guess we'll probably argue over the fridge/freezer. Ken's mum needs a new one so maybe she could have ours and we'll buy new over in oz (good excuse for something bigger anyway!):jiggy:

Footie is a problem in our house too (not that I don't watch it if it's on). That and the rugby league. Guess foxtel subscription will be something of a necessity, but maybe not straight away.

Thanks again.

Wendy

Guest Carkyde
    It's very easy to download Match of the Day every week...I do. ;-)

Hi Orrelljet

Can I ask how do you download it? Do you use BBCiPlayer? Does iPlayer work outside of the UK?

Thanks from MOTD fans!!!!

Hey Carkyde.

I download it using a bit torrent client (www.utorrent.com) . The torrent files can be downloaded from www.mininova.org , for example. Get on the site and look for "match day" and should be able to find MOTD, MOTD2 and The Championship (search for "championship" obviously) on there, every week. I've been downloading Mr Lineker and friends for the past year or so, without issue ;-) You can also find FA Cup and the Carling Cup matches (and highlights).

Let me know if you want some help to set up the torrent client (works better/faster when you open a port on your router).

Justin.

Justin

MOTD etc. would be great. I'll remember this conversation once we're there and look it up. (Maybe have to look you up too - we're not very computer literate in our house).

Thanks

Wendy