Moving to Adelaide

Ashby Dicko

hi, i've just signed up to PIA and PIO, this is my first post so here we go!!!!:unsure:

Now then, were looking to move to Hove, hallett cove, brigton area south of Adelaide.

This is as and when our Visa's come through!!! still at an early stage mind you.

Completed Vetassess paperwork waiting for date for Practical.(april ABW).

Electrician From Swadlincote Derbyshire UK.

Trying to find out if there are any companys out in Adelaide that will be crying out for sparks etc. I'm going down the Subclass 175 route.

Has/is the work dried/drying up? Or is there still plenty of new builds going up ETC...

Is there anybody also doing the Practical in April (birmingham hopefuly)

Is there anyone from my neck of the woods out there??? Ashby,Swad,Burton,Coalville etc...

Is Adelide a welcoming place to move to (it looks beautiful!!!)

Are the schools good? (i have a 7 year old son hoping to get him settled into a primary school in Adeaide so he can make lots of new friends before the big move into secondary)

Is there a drug / Gangs problem? (you've got to ask!!!!)

:policeman:

In 5 years time i would love to be able to look back and say "Neil thats the best move you could have ever made!!"

Is there get togethers for new migrantes as so myself Neil, Jane my wife and Joseph are made to feel as welcome as possible?

:wubclub:

Thanks for reading Neil.

Hi Neil! I seem to be the welcoming committee today, so on behalf of PIA, welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I can't give you any info regarding sparks but I reckon someone will let you know soon enough. As regards the areas you're looking at they're all very nice, Brighton is quite expensive but is lovely, one of our favourite places. Hallett Cove is full of migrants so avoid it like the plague - I'M KIDDING, I'M KIDDING!!! HC is very nice also, quite hilly in places so get fit before you come out! Can't tell you much about primary schools, mine are too young yet but again, someone will give you whatever info you need. Finally, there are lots of meet ups here and you'll probably find yourself at your first barbie before you've unpacked a suitcase! Any help you need, just shout, someone is bound to know the answer! Good luck with your application.:)

:jiggy:Hi Liz and Kris, Thanks for replying

I see you've settled in Glenelg, is it as expensive as the TV documents, as this is your summer months, has Glenelg turned into a major holiday resort! 2 million people go there over the summer (ITV quote) Crazy!!!. Is the cost of living manageable. Are the winter months dark and lonley, or is it nice and mild?

I'll think of other things to say i'm sure (if you dont mind?)

Neil Jane and Joseph

Guest Dave & Carole

Hi - Welcome. Can't be much help answering your queries as still in UK ourselves - but hope to be out in Adelaide soon. Visa process long & frustrating - good luck.

We have found this site really useful so keep posting - there is always someone who will answer your question

Guest Dave & Carole

You must be online now as got email whilst I was browsing!!

I've changed our signature so you can see our time line. Basically a year in to it & its feels like an eternity. You'll see from reading on here that there are loads of different types of visas & they all seem to take a different route & time span.

We have used an agent - just seemed worth the money as we had to find the right type of visa to get in - state sponsorship to get enough points. She's been very good but having read stuff on here have also made deicisions ourselves about frontloading medicals & police checks. We are hoping to be out late spring/early summer (UK seasons) - we think thats relaistic but could be mistaken!!!

I warn you though - this site is addictive:-)

You must be online now as got email whilst I was browsing!!

I've changed our signature so you can see our time line. Basically a year in to it & its feels like an eternity. You'll see from reading on here that there are loads of different types of visas & they all seem to take a different route & time span.

We have used an agent - just seemed worth the money as we had to find the right type of visa to get in - state sponsorship to get enough points. She's been very good but having read stuff on here have also made deicisions ourselves about frontloading medizzzcals & police checks. We are hoping to be out late spring/early summer (UK seasons) - we think thats relaistic but could be mistaken!!!

I warn you though - this site is addictive:-)

Have you checked out the post Going back .. should we do it?

I realy don't know what to think at the moment Pages 18/19etc

also Sparky work post i9'm on a right downer!:(

Guest Dave & Carole

I know - there's us all full of hope & optimism and then you read that and think oh my god what are we doing!!!

I put a post on here yesterday under 'Departure Gate - Migration issues' about a useful book. It talks alot at the front of the book about cutural shock & the emotions you go through - you can almost place people in the right section just from reading their posts. We are under no illusion - we know it will be hard at times (especially with 2 small children) but then you read other posts and I think it will be all worth it in the long run. Someone told us the visa application process is long to weed out those who do it on a whim - perhaps it is also makes you realise everything you really want takes time (both ends of the journey)

Keep smiling!

Hi, My OH a brickie we are in Branston, Burton. We believe there is a great deal of work. Bricklayers are on CSL and MODL so if they are building they surely must need you guys! We would like to go August/September but who knows? Good luck with everything.

I know - there's us all full of hope & optimism and then you read that and think oh my god what are we doing!!!

I put a post on here yesterday under 'Departure Gate - Migration issues' about a useful book. It talks alot at the front of the book about cutural shock & the emotions you go through - you can almost place people in the right section just from reading their posts. We are under no illusion - we know it will be hard at times (especially with 2 small children) but then you read other posts and I think it will be all worth it in the long run. Someone told us the visa application process is long to weed out those who do it on a whim - perhaps it is also makes you realise everything you really want takes time (both ends of the journey)

Keep smiling!

Yeh thanks, abit like guiness(good things come to those who wait!).

my wife has her head screwed on.

we are quite sensible, we know we won't have a footballers pad or life,

if we could just earn enough to survive and enjoy the ride it (to start with) then it will be so worth it in the long run.

England, for me has gone down the pan!!! today, may be a rumour but TOYOTA are shutting Derby plant and moving it to Poland. Brilliant, they take are job's and the businesses and leave us with nothing!!! I really hope the Oz's don't see us like that!

least we speak the ligo.

Sorry to moan!!:unsure:

Hey Neil.

We moved to Hallett Cove in November of 2007 and haven't looked back. Both our kids (8 and 11) are at Hallett Cove East Primary School and I can thoroughly recommend it. If you have the money for Hove or Brighton, I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you can live on the beach side of the Brighton road - living in that area also guarantees a place at Brighton Secondary, which is one of the best free secondaries in the area.

Bear in mind though that Seacliff/Brighton/Hove is a LOT more expensive than HC - as soon as you hit Marino Rocks the prices start to rise. Have a look on www.realestate.com.au for a good indication of what you can get for your money.

Good luck!

Justin.