Flutterby

SIR 495 & Visa/Mastercard Debit cards

Hi all

We arrived in Adelaide on Monday and went to Westpac to activate our accounts which we opened in the UK before we left, on arrival there we were advised that because of our visa status we were unable to have a mastercard debit card and were only allowed a handycard. Having checked other banks they all advise that Australian residents aged over 18 can apply but when I called Commonwealth bank they told me that this meant permanent residents (which is not what I understand from the terminology).

Has anyone in the same position found a workaround for this? We really want a visa or mastercard to be able to pay for things online etc and use overseas. We do not want a credit card which we have been told we can have as soon as we get a job. Seems bizarre that we have a large sum sitting in an Australian account which I cannot access with a debit visa card but they would be happy to let me spend their money instead! This can't be right?!

Would be grateful for any help/advice.

Guest redfoxy
    Hi all

We arrived in Adelaide on Monday and went to Westpac to activate our accounts which we opened in the UK before we left, on arrival there we were advised that because of our visa status we were unable to have a mastercard debit card and were only allowed a handycard. Having checked other banks they all advise that Australian residents aged over 18 can apply but when I called Commonwealth bank they told me that this meant permanent residents (which is not what I understand from the terminology).

Has anyone in the same position found a workaround for this? We really want a visa or mastercard to be able to pay for things online etc and use overseas. We do not want a credit card which we have been told we can have as soon as we get a job. Seems bizarre that we have a large sum sitting in an Australian account which I cannot access with a debit visa card but they would be happy to let me spend their money instead! This can't be right?!

Would be grateful for any help/advice.

Hello and welcome !!!! I have sent you a PM hope it helps

Lynne

I am on 495 and have Westpac, Commonwealth and Bank SA Debit Visa/Mastercards - it may be linked to having employment though - sorry not sure whether you have work lined up or not yet.

We had problems getting a credit card at all, Commonwealth, ANZ, Bank SA said no, finally got one at Westpac - get them to check - there is a list of visas they can cross reference to about the debit card. Thats what they did when i recently opened an account with them.

Lea

Good luck hope you get sorted soon

Hi Lea

Thanks for the reply, they were quite clear that even with a job it was the visa status that was a problem. Interesting what you say about the visa list to check against, I might ask them again and just double check, I have no other problem with Westpac in fact the service has been pretty good so far.

Guest Nick11

We have a westpac visa card that is linked to our current account - used the same as an eftpos card. You can get a visa card that you pay off at the end of the month, once you've got a few pay cheques under your belt.

Guest cbeeb

We here on 495 and got mastercard from commonwealth pretty much straightaway after we were working.they keep wanting to up our limit as well!

Went to Westpac today to double check about the debit card, they do have a list of visas to check against which the 495 is one of but this is definitely for credit cards only, we can't have a debit card with Westpac. The lady on the counter thought it was very strange as we did that we couldn't have a debit but could have a credit card but those are the rules, so next stop is ANZ.

Thanks for all your replies.

Guest caoimhe

We are with ANZ and got the debit card straight away, we only had $100 in the account at the time.

As regards credit cards, we kept our UK one's and changed the address to my sisters house and pay the bill online

Commonwealth will definitely give you a debit card if you're on a 495 Visa - a couple of my friends have recently got them - it has only just started its debit card system. Worth calling them if you don't get anywhere with the others.

Guest TC for short

We arrived in Aus on Business ETAs - not really visas at all - and got Visa credit cards & debit/ATM cards straight away with Commonwealth.

Just to let anyone on 495/Provisional/Temp visas know that if you are in the same situation as we were that ANZ have given us Everyday Visa Debit Cards, I declared on the online form that we were not permanent residents and were unemployed and still were approved and they came in a couple of days. Many thanks to Andy who alerted me to ANZ!!!