Sign in to follow this  
Guest LynzandStef

Finally arrived - Question about road rules

Guest LynzandStef

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted on here for a few months. Not since we were back in Scotland anyway. I have to say first impressions of Adelaide is that it is gorgeous. First 10 days have gone well. Got a rental which we move in to tomorrow. Both have jobs, Stephen started Monday past and I start Monday coming :D All going well so far...

Anyway, my question is about driving. In the UK it is illegal to undertake someone on the inside lane, excluding a few idiots most people abide by this as it can cause accidents.

Here I have people undertaking me on the inside lane every single time I am out driving, even people on motorbikes who should be even more conscious about driving in someones blind spot as they can get seriously injured. Are they allowed to over take on the inside over here? If so I think it's a bit crazy because I don't know how many times I have checked my mirrors and not been able to see the person straight away as they are in my blind spot.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Thanks

Guest redfoxy
    Hi everyone,

I haven't posted on here for a few months. Not since we were back in Scotland anyway. I have to say first impressions of Adelaide is that it is gorgeous. First 10 days have gone well. Got a rental which we move in to tomorrow. Both have jobs, Stephen started Monday past and I start Monday coming :D All going well so far...

Anyway, my question is about driving. In the UK it is illegal to undertake someone on the inside lane, excluding a few idiots most people abide by this as it can cause accidents.

Here I have people undertaking me on the inside lane every single time I am out driving, even people on motorbikes who should be even more conscious about driving in someones blind spot as they can get seriously injured. Are they allowed to over take on the inside over here? If so I think it's a bit crazy because I don't know how many times I have checked my mirrors and not been able to see the person straight away as they are in my blind spot.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Thanks

HI !!

You sound just like me a few months ago !! and many other poms will have a little secret sirk about that !! yes the law is that you are supposed to keep left !! however !! the drivers here do not it is a free for all !!

sometime you will find 2 drivers doing the same speed side by side and get past not on your nellie !! LOL

Anyway aside from that dont speed ! I beleive you get caught pretty quick. But the police must be hinding uder the bushes cos you dont see them !!

You just need eyes in the back of your head and your blind spot !!

Anyway good luck with everything.

Lynne

Guest TC for short

Technically (I believe!) it's illegal here too. However it is VERY commonly practiced.

Welcome to Adelaide anyway. Used to live in Perth (the real one!) & it makes me smile seeing signs for Blair Atholl, Stirling etc!

TC

Guest mysnix
    Technically (I believe!) it's illegal here too. However it is VERY commonly practiced.

Overtaking on the left is allowed in the road rules (well that is how I read it) - we arrived in the days when you needed to take the theory test to get your licence and I remember being surprised by it - must admit I personally think that you should still have to, just so that everyone has the same understanding of the local road rules.

You are allowed to undertake on a road that is marked - http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/R/AUSTRALIAN%20ROAD%20RULES/CURRENT/1999.219.UN.PDF - see page 129. - rule 141:1(a)

Must admit it is something that freaked me in the early days, but hardly notice now.

You also must park WITH the traffic, never against it - one amongst many other differences. It is worth a read, pretty big doco though :-)

Nikki

x