Guest GAFFBAM

Baggage Allowance Again!!!!!!

Guest GAFFBAM

Hi all we're coming out on a skilled visa (136). When I was looking around for flights the travel agent asked if I was emigrating. She then quoted me two prices, one was 20kg and the other which was much more expensive (Qantas) was a migration flight with up to 35kg? I see on here that If you are emigrating that you get extra baggage allowance anyway, is that right? We have already activated our visas does that make a difference? The visas in the passports state resident/indefinately. is there anybody out there that can make sense of this for us.......Thankyou!:confused:

Guest Roo1

Yes, you are right Liz, once you've activated your visa, you can't have the extra baggage allowance, even if you are buying a one way ticket.

I got caught out when I eventually emigrated but luckily the check-in girl at Singapore Airlines at Manchester turned a blind eye, as my bags were going straight through to Adelaide.

If they'd have come off the plane at Singapore, it would have been a different story.

J x

Guest kfoley0681

yes if visa has been activated you are only allowed the 20kg but for everyone else check with the airline we got caught as i was told on here if you emigrate you are entilttled to double but we came via hong kong with cathay pacific and they do not give a double allowance so we were faced with calling a family member from check in to come and collect our cases we are now 5 months later trying to get them sent on as we still want our belongings!

Guest GAFFBAM

Thanks everyone I'm glad I asked! Can't imagine the saga at check-in fuelled by emotion LOL!

Guest kfoley0681

yes what a nightmare it is especially with 3 kids and a baby on the way so watch out everyone ensure you get confirmation in writing!