nurses help on visa application

tean

Hi! all. Do nurses have to register with th SA nursing board only before you can apply for a visa? Not sure of the process. Also, do I also have to apply to th ANMC aswell, have read conflicting info. on this. Be grateful for any comments. I am a Mental Health nurse working in Rehabilitation. Thanks.:cute:

Hi there

Everyone who applies for PR visa needs to have a skills assessment, in order to apply for the visa - there are two ways of obtaining this

• ANMC -This is sometimes known as the longer way and is slightly more expensive, but is probably the route I would take at the moment and I'll tell you why later - Check out - www.anmc.org.au It will list on here the documentation that you will need in order to fulfill the requirements for a skills assessment and subsequently PR. These include as confirmation that you are on the register with the NMC (you will have to ring them and ask them to send confirmation to the ANMC, you pay fee for this and they can send more than one at once, so at the same time ask them to send confirmation to the NBSA (Nursing Board of South Australia). You need references from your current employer (may need more than one depending on how long you have been employed), transcripts of your training - which you obtain from your school of nursing, certifictes etc. Send it all to the ANMC with the correct money and sit back and wait .

• The other route is by obtaining registration with the NBSA www.nursesboard.sa.gov.au initially and then doing a shortened skills assessment from the ANMC (you still have to do this regardless of which route you take), it involves sending the same documentation too. This route works out slightly cheaper (but only slightly!). If I were you at the moment I would do the ANMC assessment as the NBSA are taking forever to process registrations (I have a friend that waited almost 6 months:err:), and you would have to wait and then once you had that submit everything to the ANMC. You will get your visa application submitted quicker by taking the ANMC route.

Once you have your skills assessment from the ANMC you can apply for you visa - you submit your positive skills assessment with this application. You can apply for submission onto the SA register at any time and will need most of the documentation you used for your skills assessment so keep hold of it (so I would apply whilst waiting for your visa). Do this sooner rather than later if you want to work as soon as you arrive here

Hope this helps, Pete and some of the others will add bits if I've missed anything. Its nearly 3 years since we did ours!

Good Luck

Lindsey